2022-23 Russian National Team | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Russian National Team

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So at the risk of sounding really out of the loop here, what's the point of having a national team this year if they are, presumably, not going to be competing internationally? Are they just naming them in hopes of being allowed to compete?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think it might also impact their distribution through the CoRGP, because it’s gonna be hard to get spots on that one this year for non NT crowd.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think it might also impact their distribution through the CoRGP, because it’s gonna be hard to get spots on that one this year for non NT crowd.

How do you figure that? The senior national team is 9 skaters, even if you add the 10 junior national team members that's only 19 skaters, there are 6 Russian GP events. I've not seen the full details of how the Russian GP series will work but I doubt that only national team members will fill the competition spots.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
How do you figure that? The senior national team is 9 skaters, even if you add the 10 junior national team members that's only 19 skaters, there are 6 Russian GP events. I've not seen the full details of how the Russian GP series will work but I doubt that only national team members will fill the competition spots.
Oh, not just them, but I think it will be rather full. Last year, when the National Team was absent, some stages had very few participants. I think they are splitting it in senior and junior, based on the schedules, so appart from a few exclusions who got floaters in junior, I think they mostly wouldn’t mix them? Or did I see something like everyone 14 and over goes senior for the purposes of this one? One thing I hope is that the lists are not going to be as much of a state secret as they were last year.

Anyway, I am counting on seeing folks like Savosin or Shul’skaya or Kutovoy (and, obviously, Popov) in competition.

TeamGubanova

On the Ice
Why are Shcherbakova / Goncharov in Novice reserve, they finished top 10 in jr. nats, above a lot of the teams in the novice main team and finished closely behind Ovsiankina / Samokhin who are on Junior Main Team

hanca

Record Breaker
Why are Shcherbakova / Goncharov in Novice reserve, they finished top 10 in jr. nats, above a lot of the teams in the novice main team and finished closely behind Ovsiankina / Samokhin who are on Junior Main Team
Top ten is not good enough. There is maximum six spots on the main team and max three spits in reserve so placing eight at the nationals would put them with a bit of luck only in reserve, and that’s not even guaranteed. If there were couples who had good results internationally and not in top six at the nationals, they would be ahead of them and it is possible that all spots in junior main team and reserve were gone. Or they didn’t think the skaters earned it. Eight at nationals is not considered very successful.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Why is Alena Kostornaia on the reserve team?
Injured at RusNats, new coach… overall, this season it likely doesn’t matter who is where as long as they’re on. So Rukhin and Popov are probably the only two obviously dropped by the Fed.