Women and the Quad | Page 47 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

^ Remarkable performance in any case. I think we can truly say that, for better or for worse, figure skating has become a children's sport.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
^ Remarkable performance in any case. I think we can truly say that, for better or for worse, figure skating has become a children's sport.

I don’t think it has. I think the progress starts with the younger generation.
Goncharenko talked about it in her interview.
She says adult skaters have a higher self-preservation/survival instinct, which prevents them from learning new things, that’s why she thinks kids can learn new jumps easier and adults can’t. However, the kids that learn it become adults eventually with the acquired skills.
I agree with her, as an adult all acrobatic things are a whole lot scarier than when you were a kid.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I don’t think it has. I think the progress starts with the younger generation.
Goncharenko talked about it in her interview.
She says adult skaters have a higher self-preservation/survival instinct, which prevents them from learning new things, that’s why she thinks kids can learn new jumps easier and adults can’t. However, the kids that learn it become adults eventually with the acquired skills.
I agree with her, as an adult all acrobatic things are a whole lot scarier than when you were a kid.

Not forgetting the power to weight ration in pre-pubescent children is optimal, they learn faster and when properly taught, their skills will stay with them their entire careers. It is far easier to keep a quad you've learned at 11-12 than to learn a quad when you're 17-18-19. I only believe Medvyedeva c.s. learned a quad of any kind and quality if they show it in competition and have a good score with it.

colormyworld240

Medalist

I don't think we know that for sure yet. I mean it could be true and that no senior lady would ever be able to do a quad. But I think the general rule is that it becomes more difficult to learn something when you're older ie. it's easier to start younger then work on it as you age. We're not seeing seniors land quads as much as juniors because they haven't learned them yet, and it may be more difficult for them to now. But there is no indication that children cannot keep and even improve their quads when they get older as it's still new to ladies and this is only the first wave of skaters. I guess we will see soon, as Trusova is turning senior this season.

It's not just quads; skaters who start earlier tend to skate better than those who started later. Someone skating for 10 years will generally have more skill than someone with 5 years of experience. Same for spins, etc. I would imagine it would be true for those who have been jumping quads for longer. Of course there are exceptions.

But I don't think figure skating has become a children's sport because they can jump quads when we haven't even seen a lady try to keep their quads from junior to senior. And then of course Elizabet landed her first ratified quad as a senior, not as a junior.

Or perhaps some skaters are more talented jumpers than others. Maybe it just so happens that this wave - Sasha, Anna, Rika, etc. - are more talented jumpers and even the previous wave of Alina, Evgenia, Liza, Kaetlyn, Gabby, etc. would not have been able to if they started at the same age. Or maybe children in the following years won't be able to either. We don't know.

When properly taught, their skill will stay with them their entire careers.

We are about to see that hypothesis tested as the Trusova generation moves into seniors. I hope so. To me, it just seems like every time we applaud a 13-year-old for learning a quad, the next week a 12-year-old comes along and does it even better.

Well, good for them. Their parents have every right to be proud of their achievements.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It is far easier to keep a quad you've learned at 11-12 than to learn a quad when you're 17-18-19.

This might be true, but I think no skater has landed a ratified quad internationally both during their junior and senior careers (although I would have ratified Ando's 2008 GPF 4S). It will be impressive if Trusova and her peers are landing quads in two or three years, but we really don't have many data points yet to determine whether learning a quad while young improves the lifespan of the jump in the skater's arsenal.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I remember seeing Sasha Cohen do a quad Sal in the warm up of an event but, she didn't actually do one in her program. What will be great is to see a Senior land one week after week. That would be impressive. Of course....I still prefer a 3A over a quad Sal.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Like it's something bad :biggrin: As long as there are juniors with level of SS, artistry and maturity as Kostornaia or Usacheva - I am not gonna complain :laugh:

I still prefer a 3A over a quad Sal.
Why? :unsure: I've never understand 3As appeal in viewers eyes, tbh. While points says otherwise - it's too similar to triple visually. 3A just don't have that impact of very hard jump unlike what we feel from quads, IMO. It was very telling during Akatieva's skate too - while there were applauds during 4T - 3As passed almost unnoticed.

Like it's something bad. :biggrin:

I have to admit I do not have a strong conviction one way or the other. I do not completely understand why we like to watch children playing games. But on the other hand, I do not completely understand why we like to watch adults playing games, either.

I do not completely understand why I feel personal pride and exuberant joy that one horse ran faster than another. I am not either one of the horses; I am not a trainer, breeder or owner. (Now if I have some money on the race, that's a different story. ;) )

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Like it's something bad :biggrin: As long as there are juniors with level of SS, artistry and maturity as Kostornaia or Usacheva - I am not gonna complain :laugh:

Why? :unsure: I've never understand 3As appeal in viewers eyes, tbh. While points says otherwise - it's too similar to triple visually. 3A just don't have that impact of very hard jump unlike what we feel from quads, IMO. It was very telling during Akatieva's skate too - while there were applauds during 4T - 3As passed almost unnoticed.

It's the forward take off. That, combined with watching a skater take off forward and end up backward. Todd Eldredge did one right in front of me and it was the greatest thing I had ever seen. I sat there with my mouth open just in awe of his power and deep edges. He sounded like a train on the ice.

It's the forward take off. That, combined with watching a skater take off forward and end up backward. Todd Eldredge did one right in front of me and it was the greatest thing I had ever seen. I sat there with my mouth open just in awe of his power and deep edges. He sounded like a train on the ice.

Actually, I think the ISU agrees with you, to some extent. In the official scale of values the triple Axel is grouped with the quads as the "easiest quad," rather than being grouped with the triple jumps as being the "hardest triple."

There have been a several skaters (Stephane Lambiel, Patrick Chan) for whom the triple Axel was harder than a quad toe.

As for the "getting run over by a freight train" effect, my closest call was one time I had a front row seat at Skate America right in the Lutz corner. Emily Hughes :rock: did a monster of a triple Lutz coming right at me -- I thought she was going to land in my lap.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A perfect triple axel is a thing of beauty and a joy forever, I actually think it's the most beautiful of all jumps in great hands...

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
A perfect triple axel is a thing of beauty and a joy forever, I actually think it's the most beautiful of all jumps in great hands...

Isn't it about time we start a Triksel Thread?

The skill is still so rare in competitive women's figure skating, an up-to-date list of successful performances would be very nice for starters ...

AFAIK it was first publicly available successfully executed three quads program for a lady.
In terms of quads only, yet...

Sasha was so happy with her main caliber she lost her concentration on lesser guns.

Even so, I think the other ladies on the Senior Grand Prix can go home now. :yes:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Even so, I think the other ladies on the Senior Grand Prix can go home now. :yes:

It will be very, very hard to beat the Quadster with her own weapons, but who knows what secret weapons her major competitors have in their arsenal? Aleksandra starts from zero, and there might be judges that don't like this abundance of quads and will look for every opportunity to mark her down?

At least there is a young US skater who can now also take part in quad battles after a competition, the more the merrier :)

Arbitrary

Medalist
It will be very, very hard to beat the Quadster with her own weapons, but who knows what secret weapons her major competitors have in their arsenal? Aleksandra starts from zero, and there might be judges that don't like this abundance of quads and will look for every opportunity to mark her down?

At least there is a young US skater who can now also take part in quad battles after a competition, the more the merrier :)
More quads usually means lower components, especially TS. Down to near zero.

Yet, this program looks too much of Pluschenko style. Jump, plain run, combo, run, some rotation, run...
It worked well 15 years ago.