Women and the Quad | Page 60 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

SkateSkates

Medalist
Isn’t this thread supposed to be about quads?

Bringing it back on topic, I wonder how many quads we will see attempted at Japan Open this weekend. Any word on Rika’s recovering from her slight injury? Will she be going for the sal?

readernick

Medalist
Obviously you're free to express your opinion, but others are free to disagree. Especially since that opinion was you disagreeing with anothers'. I'm always puzzled when people say when someone is way ahead of Anna in artistry, or that she's just doing Eteri's choreo. This is the performance I want to draw attention to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOU-gAZUqgM

Butchered tech with a fall and no combo, messed up spins, etc. But her connection to the music and her performance was sublime. She was on every note of the music, except for the falls themselves, and even after the falls she changes her choreography to hit the next beat of music (which is different than doing the choreography given if you compare it with her clean performances). And she never loses the performance to her mistakes, unlike all the other top skaters we've seen. This is something that Ted has commented on many times. That's artistry, imo. Anna doesn't have the best skating skills, but like I said skating skills is technique and not artistry. Sometimes I wish Anna didn't have a quad because so many think quadsters are jumping beans. I think if Anna couldn't jump well, many more would appreciate her artistry. You could watch her older performances as well, before she had any quads and even when her triples were more unstable, she was always incredibly musical.

As for Alina's FS, I don't think it's as good as her short either. But I'd like to ask one thing: you said she gets into her character in the footwork, but you're also saying it's flailing. So unless Cleopatra is flailing, I don't see how both those things can happen at the same time?

Anna is musical. I enjoy her skating when I feel like she is connected to the music and the program suits her ... this year's long program and last year's short give me that feeling. I may not appreciate the choreo itself but I do feel emotion from her.

But, while SS are technical. (Which is why I feel like it is quite easy to judge who has good SS and who doesn't. ) Sometimes, lacking power in your skating does take away from interpretation which is what a feel from Anna in last year's long and this year's short (at least at Lombardia). They also influence the impact of Stepsqs because when a skate is visibly struggling to gain speed and almost falls on turns.. I don't enjoy that performance.

ec00834

On the Ice
Isn’t this thread supposed to be about quads?

Bringing it back on topic, I wonder how many quads we will see attempted at Japan Open this weekend. Any word on Rika’s recovering from her slight injury? Will she be going for the sal?

I really want Sasha to bring back her 4S!

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
I really want Sasha to bring back her 4S!

Seems she heard you - her JO training session run-through: 4Lz, 4S, 4T-3T, 2A / 4T, 3Lz-3Lo, 3Lz-Eu-3S. :)
(although she didn't land 4S and 4T; 4Lz & 4T+3T were fine).

Elucidus

Match Penalty
But, while SS are technical. (Which is why I feel like it is quite easy to judge who has good SS and who doesn't. ) Sometimes, lacking power in your skating does take away from interpretation which is what a feel from Anna in last year's long and this year's short (at least at Lombardia). They also influence the impact of Stepsqs because when a skate is visibly struggling to gain speed and almost falls on turns.. I don't enjoy that performance.

Suppose you should enjoy this skate then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_PZ7pHhOxk
:biggrin:

Seems she heard you - her JO training session run-through: 4Lz, 4S, 4T-3T, 2A / 4T, 3Lz-3Lo, 3Lz-Eu-3S. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrY4pcmwEJM
That confused look on Tennel's face is priceless :laugh:

lzxnl

Final Flight

Not going to lie, there's not a single male skater in the world that could skate that layout. Neither Nathan nor Yuzu have a 3Lz-3Lo afaik, and both of them have trouble with at least one of the 4Lz and 4S.

Sasha really would be competitive amongst the very top men in the world right now in TES if she could land this layout cleanly, and that's incredible.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Not going to lie, there's not a single male skater in the world that could skate that layout. Neither Nathan nor Yuzu have a 3Lz-3Lo afaik, and both of them have trouble with at least one of the 4Lz and 4S.

Sasha really would be competitive amongst the very top men in the world right now in TES if she could land this layout cleanly, and that's incredible.
Sasha may have 3Lz-3Lo but Yuzu/Nathan have 3A

lzxnl

Final Flight
Sasha may have 3Lz-3Lo but Yuzu/Nathan have 3A

Sasha doesn't do any doubles other than a 2A. Yuzu at times has had to do a 2T in combos. If we're comparing a 3A+2T vs a 2A+3Lo, they match up pretty well.

Of course, Yuzu comes out a bit further ahead if he repeats his 3T instead of 3A. However, the fact that's it's even comparable is pretty amazing for Sasha.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Sasha doesn't do any doubles other than a 2A. Yuzu at times has had to do a 2T in combos. If we're comparing a 3A+2T vs a 2A+3Lo, they match up pretty well.

Of course, Yuzu comes out a bit further ahead if he repeats his 3T instead of 3A. However, the fact that's it's even comparable is pretty amazing for Sasha.

Yuzu and Nathan have both landed all quads (minus axel) in competition and have done programs with 3-4-5 quads + 1-2 3As successfully in competition before? Surely, Sasha is an athletic prodigy in the sport, but I don't see the use in trying to degrade the two best athletes the sport has ever seen to uplift her. Saying "they couldn't do her layout" just feels a bit dishonest when they have harder layouts than this one she hasn't even competed yet, for the most part.

skatenewbie

Medalist

i just calculated their BV and they have less than 3 point differences, Yuzuru 75.09 and Sasha 72.40. Quite close. Only Nathan can come even further since he have 4F as well, even if he didnt bring back 4Lo

readernick

Medalist
Yuzu and Nathan have both landed all quads (minus axel) in competition and have done programs with 3-4-5 quads + 1-2 3As successfully in competition before? Surely, Sasha is an athletic prodigy in the sport, but I don't see the use in trying to degrade the two best athletes the sport has ever seen to uplift her. Saying "they couldn't do her layout" just feels a bit dishonest when they have harder layouts than this one she hasn't even competed yet, for the most part.

People just like to exaggerate. I don't think they mean it seriously. If Sasha was actually competing against Yuzuru or Nathan she would not stand much chance unless they bombed due to various reasons.

But, she isn't competing against them. She is competing against ladies who aren't going for Quads. So, it is pretty amazing!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Where are her 3As? She’s a prodigy regardless of any comparisons to the two top men, where she necessarily comes up short.

lzxnl

Final Flight

So, being compared to another skater that is planning four quads is degrading them? I don't see how that logic works, given that neither of them attempted more than four quads a program in the last season. As someone else has commented, the base value between Sasha and Yuzu in jumps isn't actually that far apart. See my comment regarding Yuzu and 2Ts.

Where are her 3As? She’s a prodigy regardless of any comparisons to the two top men, where she necessarily comes up short.

I'm mostly commenting on the fact that she has all those quads and a loop combination. That's not something many top men have, at all. I would argue that it appears neither Nathan nor Yuzu is interested in doing 3Lo combinations, even though it could help their layouts. Of course, Yuzu's attempt at five/six quads this season is, on a planned technical level, going to be impossible to beat by anyone not called Nathan Chen.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Guys I'm so excited for tomorrow. I'm looking forward to Sasha becoming the first at quad quads. [emoji3]