2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 523 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Globetrotter

Medalist
Alyona is the queen of 3 axels. It’s official now. That one foot footwork entry.

I personally much prefer her general basic SS. She has this flow and glide and edgework that pulls you in. She is still not quite yet able to harness power effortlessly but otherwise a very all rounded skater. Her basics are stronger than Scherbakova (who emotes better though) and better performer than Trusova (who has stronger tech and power).

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Alena Kostornaya was on fire today.

Got the highest PCS so far between the 3As by 7-8 points.

Flip is also Tuks weakest jump worst than the Loop, maybe because she cant rotate 3T in her 3Lz combo; as simple why they tried with 3F-3T.

She did lutz-toe last season.

I think this is totally a choice for GOE: her lutz gets worse in a combo, it's much bigger as a solo jump.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Protocols are online. Alena got an UR call on her second 3A. Everything else was clean :) All level 4s. What a great start for her into the season

icybear

Medalist
Alena first 3a hands down the best one in the women field right now.:bow:. Intrinsic steps into the jump, amazing speed and flow in and huge distance. There was absolutely no braking into a standstill before the jump, she practically lunges into it. Beautiful transitions into it as well, no waiting forever with scarecrow's arms hanging for eternity.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Alena Kostornaya was on fire today.

Got the highest PCS so far between the 3As.

And deservedly so. She is stronger in performance and interpretive skills than Sasha and has better basic SS than Anna. Very well rounded and that glide, flow and posture is superb. She may have trained initially in ice dance I suspect. Very few singles skaters have that strong basics and awareness to create the floaty impression over the ice like the dancers.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Right as i said Alena got UR in her 2nd 3A. Her GOE for the 3A in combo is 2.67 which is huge. If she get that 2nd 3A rotated and add 3A in SP sure she will score 83-85 and 160+ which is crazy....

Liza got another 3Fe.... also she lost level in step and last spins which also got V and pop the 3S and 3T (maybe im not sure), that cost her like almost 10 points. She could score almost 150 or even crossed it im sure. Such an irony when she did only 2 3A and 3T-3T she scored higher :( im kind of sad for her tbh

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Liza got another 3Fe.... also she lost level in step and last spins which also got V and pop the 3S and 3T (maybe im not sure), that cost her like almost 10 points. She could score almost 150 or even crossed it im sure. Such an irony when she did only 2 3A and 3T-3T she scored higher :( im kind of sad for her tbh

It looked like she had no intentions whatsoever to pull out a 3s or a 3t out of those combinations, it's not a decision she took mid-air. (or maybe it was for the 2t)

Imo this is total speculation but to me after the SP result she realized that no matter what, judges of this event sent the clear message that they wanted Kostornaya to win, so she decided to skate more conservatively but clean since it would have probably been a 2nd place anyway.

Globetrotter

Medalist
I think its cool how her 3A combo looks better than her solo one. I noticed that even in her practise.

And as I suspected, the solo 3A was called <. I noticed it right off when the landing was awkward after a tilted air position. Once she gets this fixed, she will e a leading contender. Add it to the SP, she will e competitive with her team mates.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
It looked like she had no intentions whatsoever to pull out a 3s or a 3t out of those combinations.

Imo this is total speculation but to me after the SP result she realized that no matter what, judges of this event sent the clear message that they wanted Kostornaya to win, so she decided to skate more conservatively but clean since it would have probably been a 2nd place anyway.

I think your speculation is wrong. She clearly tried to do 3S, 2S was an obvious pop.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I think your speculation is wrong. She clearly tried to do 3S, 2S was an obvious pop.

I can give the 3t turned into the 2t since the height was there, and it looks more a mid-air decision.

But the 2s didn't look nowhere near a 3, please look at the legs in the rotation.

Also keep in mind that Mishin's skaters do this often on senior B events, the mentality of "don't risk it if it's not worth it".

the 3ltz-3t last year was 3ltz-2t up until NHK.

skatenewbie

Medalist
It looked like she had no intentions whatsoever to pull out a 3s or a 3t out of those combinations, it's not a decision she took mid-air. (or maybe it was for the 2t)

the 2S is clear pop. She's not used to do euler combo i guess thats why her euler is awkwardly done and that may throw her off to do 3S. As fot 3T she may not intend to do it i agree. Since she can pull off clean 3Lz-3T i hope she try to do it, maybe after he 1st 3Lz

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I can give the 3t turned into the 2t since the height was there, and it looks more a mid-air decision.

But the 2s didn't look nowhere near a 3, please look at the legs in the rotation

I'd say the other way around :biggrin: 2t looked more intentional, whereas 2S was a mid-air opening. :laugh2: let me rewatch, I'm pretty sure the 2t was after 3Lz, and 2Sal was after 2A and euler.