Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 1284 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Skate Canada will stream all of the practices next week! Stream will be geoblocked but I am sure some other streams will come up or we have to wait until videos are uploaded on Youtube. Practice starts on Thursday 24th October.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
For me it seems to be a 9h difference, and although late in the night, still doable. I am actually becoming superstitious that she does better when i watch live so I gotta watch. [emoji28]

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I love Evgenia, but looking at this weekend she really needs that 4S stat. Compared to Alina who is receiving high PCS and looks to have improved a lot this year and is also cleaner, Alena was the only other non-3A/quad girl until this weekend. Not to bring this up again, but Russia really has an issue with the number of girls that could challenge for world gold and they only have 3 spots for 6 girls. I wish Evgenia had thought about switching to Canada if it was logistically ok, because she’s going to get left behind this year at her current level of skating not to mention the Olympics where Kamila will be senior.

If we are being honest, she needs more than one 4S.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
If we are being honest, she needs more than one 4S.

Yes, there’s a difference between being realistic and turning a blind eye to what is going on at the moment. We all love evgenia and will support her no matter what, but people here saying “she’s proving everyone wrong like last year,” the competition last year was nothing compared to this year. Evgenia desperately needs to up her tech content before nationals. She’s not getting the PCS or GOE bump anymore and there are 4/5ish Russian girls now getting better scores than her this season so far.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Yes, there’s a difference between being realistic and turning a blind eye to what is going on at the moment. We all love evgenia and will support her no matter what, but people here saying “she’s proving everyone wrong like last year,” the competition last year was nothing compared to this year. Evgenia desperately needs to up her tech content before nationals. She’s not getting the PCS or GOE bump anymore and there are 4/5ish Russian girls now getting better scores than her this season so far.

I think you didn’t understand my comment. I didn‘t say she would prove everyone wrong and thus make the Worlds team this season. I was answering to a comment that said the general sentiment was she should retire and would never be able to comment with the others again. Imo, this is not true and she can prove those who say that wrong. She hasn‘t reached her technical ceiling yet, she can improve her score with new combos like the 3F+3Lo. Her skating skills are improving every day. One day she might introduce a quad. I don‘t know what she will do but I would never underestimate the competition out there. I‘m probably one of the most pessimistic skating fans ever and that doesn‘t change, not even for Zhenya. :laugh:

My point was that she is NOT done and should not just retire just because there are girls out there who beat her at the moment. Is she likely to make the Worlds team at this point? Not at all. There are like at least 4 girls ahead of her. But does not making the Worlds team this year mean it will be impossible for her to compete with the others ever again? Again, no. If she‘s serious about Beijing, she will need technical improvements and she will need them soon. I think we all know that but Zhenya knows it best. She has been training with Trusova, Shcherbakova, Kostornaya and co. for many years, she knows what they are capable of. So, I‘m 110% sure that she‘s out there working on that quad and the loop combos day after day. I have literally no idea if she will succeed. I know that no quad will probably mean no Beijing. But it’s more than wrong to just give up before she‘s even tried which is what those people “advising“ her to retire want. She can prove them wrong. That she will need some serious improvements very soon goes without saying. But I don’t see the point in doom and gloom in a fanfest. If she doesn‘t make the Worlds team... well, more time to work on that quad. No tragedy. She should still peak by Nationals but other than that - it‘s the next two seasons that will be crucial in determining her chances. Beijing was an uphill battle all the way. We knew that. So... what’s the point in worrying now? She’s not 15 anymore, learning a quad in a few weeks is impossible for her. She can only do what her body allows her to do. If she worries about beating Trusova now, she will go crazy. I hope she doesn‘t do that.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
Knowing is one thing, doing it is another. Maybe she could work with Yuzu’s jump coach Gislain bc I don’t see much jump improvement with Orser

Placebo11

On the Ice
Zhenya knows she has to upgrade her TES. She will do everything she can to achieve that cause she's a fighter.
I'm sure she's not spending her time worrying about the other girls. She's way too smart to act like that.

And nobody here is a fortune teller.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
I think you didn’t understand my comment. I didn‘t say she would prove everyone wrong and thus make the Worlds team this season. I was answering to a comment that said the general sentiment was she should retire and would never be able to comment with the others again. Imo, this is not true and she can prove those who say that wrong. She hasn‘t reached her technical ceiling yet, she can improve her score with new combos like the 3F+3Lo.

Oh okay maybe read your comment differently. Of course I don’t think she should retire! I don’t see anyone here saying she should? But maybe it’s because we see the rapid tech content increase of her competitors this year that it seems she’s lagging behind is what I was saying. And I don’t want her or any of the other older girls to be left behind this year or next leading up to Beijing, since we know PCS is all about momentum and high base value [emoji849]

Fluture

Record Breaker
Oh okay maybe read your comment differently. Of course I don’t think she should retire! I don’t see anyone here saying she should? But maybe it’s because we see the rapid tech content increase of her competitors this year that it seems she’s lagging behind is what I was saying. And I don’t want her or any of the other older girls to be left behind this year or next leading up to Beijing, since we know PCS is all about momentum and high base value [emoji849]

The comment I replied to was probably talking about TSL and the likes who seem to enjoy advising different skaters to retire each month.

As for the rest. I get that. I really do. I mean, we‘re all not naive and we‘re watching the competitions and of course we worry. I know that I do, at least. But what am I supposed to do? What is Zhenya supposed to do other than work? PCS is about momentum and BV most of all, I think few have a more painful memory of that than a Zhenya fan lol...

But on the bright side, Zhenya‘s been getting some pretty good PCS this season and she keeps improving. It was the TES that would be a problem and we all knew that from the beginning. I mean, these girls are amazing but they are 15! It‘s way easier to learn new elements when you‘re that young. Learning a quad at age 20 like Zhenya... we all knew that if she was to do it, it would take time. I‘m sure, given how competitive Zhenya is, she‘s annoyed by it too. She wants to be “go go go“ like she was when she was a first year senior. But she‘s not superhuman and I think she‘s come to a point where she has to listen to her body or she wouldn‘t be skating at all. Maybe she‘s lagging behind now. Maybe she won‘t make the Worlds team this year. Or next. But all she can do is work to her maximum and go into each competition with confidence and the purpose of winning. She‘s trying, that‘s all I‘m saying. There are few who work harder than Zhenya. She can‘t do anything else. And we can only watch and cheer her on. As for Beijing and the rest - no one knows the future. And spending too much time worrying about it or about other competitors can kill your confidence as a professional athlete. She has to improve at her pace, try to work as hard as she can and improve as quickly as she can. That‘s all she can do. Nobody knows whether that will be enough. :shrug:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Evgenia 's programs will help her in PC's. They are both beautifully choreographed and the costumes for both are perfect for the programs.

skatingfan200

Medalist

"PCS and GOE bump" in comparison to what? Her PCS are higher at the beginning of this season in comparison to last season. Deservedly so because her programs are better this season.

Yes she needs to upgrade her tech content and it will be very difficult to make the team but to make it look like it´s hopeless to even compete, it´s also wrong. She is still competitive and can score high.

There are reasons why she is not hitting 230 points
- putting 3 lutzes in the layout
- not all spins or step seq. at level 4
- some questionable UR calls

GOE or PCS is not the reason for being pessimistic in my opinion.

Placebo11

On the Ice
And it seems that many forgot that she was sick in Shanghai and suffered from a jet leg lag at the ACI. People act as if she has already reached her maximum potential.

Coryocris

Praise our Little Bear
On the Ice
Country
Germany
What other quads might Zhenya be capable of besides 4S? Could she work on a 4F or 4T?

I think Brian said that the 4T was not too bad for her. 4T and 4S will put her at Sasha Trusova's level (honestly, all the 4Lz in women are terrible)