2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating | Page 53 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I’d love to see Kaori and Wakaba kn the world team though, although it seems virtually impossible for Kao to make it...

I guess it is going to be Miyahara (4th) and Higuchi (2nd), aside from the winner who automatically gets the spot for the world championships. Kawabata (3rd) will be sent to the junior world championships. Japan can maintain the current three slots if either of them can make the top ten finish.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...ute-first-senior-national-title/#.Xf9IhhczaCc

Article that provides more insight into what Rika is thinking.

I find it really interesting that she said the two skaters before her not doing well shook her. I would tend to think if they did really well that would rattle someone more. I guess it must be a case of "OMG What if I splat too?"

Anyways after reading the article I am so relieved and respect her even more for delivering such a wonderful performance when clearly she was not in the best state!

I loooooooveeeeee this girl so much!!!!!!!!!!

readernick

Medalist
Rika Kihira, Wakaba Higuchi, Kaori Sakamoto to 4CC
Rika Kihira, Wakaba Higuchi, Satoko Miyahara to Worlds

I am a bit surprised they selected Kaori for 4CC, but the rest is as expected.

readernick

Medalist
I'm relieved that Wakaba has been selected to both.

I do not think her position was ever in jeopardy. JSF has always liked Wakaba and JSF likes to go by national results. They only exception being their willingness to skip over Junior competitors in favor of more seasoned competitors.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I do not think her position was ever in jeopardy. JSF has always liked Wakaba and JSF likes to go by national results. They only exception being their willingness to skip over Junior competitors in favor of more seasoned competitors.

"JSF has always liked Wakaba". Tell that to Wakaba-fans during the Olympic season

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
She could still get them. I believe there is one competition prior to 4CC. However, it would be difficult (as I stated in my post) so the decisions is not surprising.

The deadline for Torun Cup was 19 days ago. She could not have gotten the TES in time for 4CC

readernick

Medalist
"JSF has always liked Wakaba". Tell that to Wakaba-fans during the Olympic season

Wakaba had a terrible skate at Nationals. The results were fair. I have always preferred Wakaba over Kaori, (personal preference... they are both amazing women) but JSF tends not to be overly influenced by outside factors. They almost always choose the top 3 (top 2) at nationals. Wakaba has been on the Japanese podium so many times. If JSF didn't like her, that wouldn't have happened.

- - - Updated - - -

The deadline for Torun Cup was 19 days ago. She could not have gotten the TES in time for 4CC

Oh, thanks for the information. I guess that decision makes perfect sense then...

Joekaz

On the Ice
Wakaba had a terrible skate at Nationals. The results were fair. I have always preferred Wakaba over Kaori, (personal preference... they are both amazing women) but JSF tends not to be overly influenced by outside factors. They almost always choose the top 3 (top 2) at nationals. Wakaba has been on the Japanese podium so many times. If JSF didn't like her, that wouldn't have happened.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, thanks for the information. I guess that decision makes perfect sense then...
Wakaba didn't have a terrible skate. She had a couple of pops that cost her, but otherwise skated ok.

readernick

Medalist
Wakaba didn't have a terrible skate. She had a couple of pops that cost her, but otherwise skated ok.

It seemed like a terrible skate to me. (perhaps, just because it ruined my hopes) I was really rooting for her during the Olympic season. Her Bond FS that year was amazing and I wanted to see it at the Olympics. Her pops cost her a place on the podium.

Anyway, all of this discussion is unimportant.... Wakaba is going to 4cc and Worlds. Rika is going to 4CC and Worlds. They are two of my favorite Japanese ladies and they will be accompanied by Satoko and her beautiful FS,(at Worlds) and Kaori and her fabulous FS.(at 4CC) It is a good result in the end.

Hopefully, Kawabata shines at JWs. (she has amazing potential)

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I know Rika has been selected but do you guys think she will go to 4CC? Or will she decline?

Or would she have already declined by now?

Newish to skating so while I followed Rika at every competition last year I did not follow the process! She showed up, I watched.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Not really surprised by the team selections.

JSF are probably counting on Rika mostly to keep the 3 spots at Worlds.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Yeah :( I kinda wish Rika would withdraw from 4CC to heal and bring back lutzes + clean 4S for Worlds, and they send Yuhana instead. Her SP this year is a treat!

It really is! Yuhana’s SP is crazy but I love it :love:

I’m a bit surprised they sent Kaori to 4CC. I guess they just didn’t want her season to end so abruptly?