Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals

Amei

Record Breaker
Call it conspiracy theory but i have a feeling this was a strategic WD, after the not so great SP result.

There were realistic chances Tuktamysheva would have beated Medvedeva, and they probably didn't want that to happen. Anyway Medvedeva's chances to make the team were basically none.

The approach kinda reminds me of Post 2010 Olympics Yuna Kim: show up only at the events she is sure to get something out of it.

They probably want to have a very strong first half of the season, winning as much as possible to go to Nationals as one of the top 2-3 skaters, with maybe a GPF medal and make a case to be in the team, and they understand they might need a quad for that, or even just saying it makes you willing to stay in the top in the eyes of the media/public.

I love how Perviy Kanal is so on top of the drama, they had the Eteri cam when the speaker announced it, trying so hard to capture a reaction (that supposed eye roll)

I don't think this was a strategic WD in the sense that it was planned to happen - her boot broke at competition practice prior to the SP. The only way it can 'strategic' is if somebody from TCC breaks rank and says that she knew her boot was in poor condition prior to her going to Nationals - which I don't think this is the case just stating the only way this comes out as a 'planned' action.

I hate to say it, but I agree with TSL a bit - this was really the best outcome for Medvedeva outside of 2 of the trio of Shcherbakova/Kostornaia/Trusova having disastrous enough competitions that put her on the podium. She got to have a good showing in the SP and WD not for an injury and didn't go out and have a subpar or even great skate and finish below Shcherbakova/Kostornaia/Trusova to further demonstrate how far below her competition her technical abilities are.

In reality she knew that it was unlikely she get on the European/Worlds team, otherwise she wouldn't have signed up to headline a skating show that's in Russia (her coaching team is in Canada) during training time for Europeans.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
It's absolutely a conspiracy theory.

Zhenya's boots broke in practice, there is genuine video and photo evidence of her skating in practice with laces and tape holding her skate together before the short programme. They didn't just come up with this as an excuse for her SP performance (where she landed 3 triples despite laces holding her skates together).

Afaik there isn’t video evidence from the Thursday when it happened. That picture is from after the fact.

I’m a naturally skeptical person but not being at nationals hasn’t changed the situation so what’s the benefit really?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Call it conspiracy theory but i have a feeling this was a strategic WD, after the not so great SP result.

There were realistic chances Tuktamysheva would have beated Medvedeva, and they probably didn't want that to happen. Anyway Medvedeva's chances to make the team were basically none.

The approach kinda reminds me of Post 2010 Olympics Yuna Kim: show up only at the events she is sure to get something out of it.

They probably want to have a very strong first half of the season, winning as much as possible to go to Nationals as one of the top 2-3 skaters, with maybe a GPF medal and make a case to be in the team, and they understand they might need a quad for that, or even just saying it makes you willing to stay in the top in the eyes of the media/public.

I love how Perviy Kanal is so on top of the drama, they had the Eteri cam when the speaker announced it, trying so hard to capture a reaction (that supposed eye roll)

Nope no way. This was a huge competition for Zhenya, it's the most important competition for Russian skaters.

Beyond that, if it was a PR move it was a disastrous one since the conspiracy theories have already appeared and they all make Zhenya look bad.

It reminds me a little of Plushy's withdrawal from the individual event at Sochi. People claimed (and maybe still claim) he faked it and pulled out to save face. Um, no. He was injured and in danger of injurying himself further, and by withdrawing, in a lot of people's eyes, he went from a hero to a traitor and it was ages before certain people *cough*Yagudin*cough* stopped slamming him for it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Maybe Canada should think about their own state and sports development? Instead of trying to buy out a b-player from those who are more developed and successful. Like free or at least widely affordable child-junior sport, progressive modern monetization, improving sportsmanship education to improve a graduation degree of their coaches and other things

First, I think this idea of Canada adopting for lack of words Evgenia is GoldenSkate people not really Canada. Second, suggesting Evgenia is a b skater is nonsense.

Third, I was away and really have no idea happened because this thread has kind of focussed on some crazy ideas Evgenia should skate for Canada when some of us who don't have access or whatever want to know what happened. I tried looking at random posts on several threads withotu much luck. I think Evgenia's boots wore out and broke and had to be patched to gether with tape and rope but it was very iffy for the short and even more dangerous for long = plus it sounded like it was taped and strong so tight that it hurt Evgenia's foot. But that is sort of what I gather. This thread has focussed on Evgenia and skating for Canada, being a has been, wouldn't have won anyways. True she wouldn't win but third was possible with decent boots and a clean skate she probably would have been third.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The stupidest comment I have ever read. The boots were new, a few weeks old and broke during practice, which was an unfortunate accident. No one could have anticipated that it would happen nor that there would be no high level boots in stores at Krasnojarsk as a replacement.

Why in the heck was she breaking in new boots less than a month before her biggest event. It all sounds so tragic but blaming anyone is not appropriate. This is a sad moment for skating. Now I have been away and can't figure outhow this post got so derailed from Evgenia and boot problems to skating for Canada which I assume is just conjecture or some GS fan's whimsy/gossip/thinking out loud.

So sad for Evgenia and sadder for skating. I do wonder if this is the end. What bad luck a new skate. It sounds rather bad she was not able to some of her j umps because of her boot -now that sounds like yeah, the girl/woman should not compete. Yikes i wouldn't want to be that boot company. Maybe some Canadian co. will come in and find our Cinderella her perfect boot? Trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This thread is hysterical. Defective products exist. A sweater with a wonky seam is fine to wear anyway, but skating boots? Just not safe.

And someone in a Russian interview once asked Zhenya, "What country would you skate for if you couldn't skate for Russia?" She answered, "...Russia. :laugh:"

And the danger of these boots would be immense. Not oto mention there woul;d be a greater chance not only of injury but of falls as the boot was not giving full support obviously.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Stuff happens, and it’s unfortunate that this happened to Zhenya at an important competition. I don’t think her situation is that comparable to Nathan’s though, as Nathan wears a brand of boots that do not last as long, and he wears his boots down faster with all his quads. If Zhenya never dealt with this before, it seems reasonable that she doesn’t bring an extra pair with her to competitions, or have a second pair ready to go at all times.

Amei

Record Breaker
Why in the heck was she breaking in new boots less than a month before her biggest event. It all sounds so tragic but blaming anyone is not appropriate. This is a sad moment for skating. Now I have been away and can't figure outhow this post got so derailed from Evgenia and boot problems to skating for Canada which I assume is just conjecture or some GS fan's whimsy/gossip/thinking out loud.

So sad for Evgenia and sadder for skating. I do wonder if this is the end. What bad luck a new skate. It sounds rather bad she was not able to some of her j umps because of her boot -now that sounds like yeah, the girl/woman should not compete. Yikes i wouldn't want to be that boot company. Maybe some Canadian co. will come in and find our Cinderella her perfect boot? Trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

Edea is a very popular skating brand, I believe Zagitova, Kostornaia and Shcherbakova all wear them, they'll do just fine as long as this isn't a widespread issue where it happens multiple times around major competitions for big-time skaters. It could have had something to do with how she breaks in the skates or what she did at the time they broke, etc.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I just read her boot fell apart and watched her sp in Russia. She skated very well and placed very well con side ring current Russian trends. It was what I expected as she is loved and held up. But she deserved to do well. I was thinking maybe she could apply for Canadian citizenship because she badly wants to get to another Olympics. What is the wait in Canada? I know right now she isn’t thinking this but so many countries would love to have her represent. With the whole drug ban issue continuing maybe she should give it thought if it is even possible. Canada has no lady right now who is top . I don’t think there is any junior either which is amazing given all that ice. In the USA we have BRADIE And Mariah and Alysa Liu coming up. Maybe more. I would hate to see Zhenya leave skating because Russia is so deep in jumpers now. Perhaps if she can learn a quad like Liza who is four years older. Mirai Nagasu learned triple axel relatively late. I think both Zhenya and Alina must do this in order to stay competitive. I don’t like Liza at all style wise but they gave her fourth. Because of the jumps. Others skated far better than her so in Russia you need a quad or two or two axels to stay on podium. Let us hope Zhenya does feel she can do this with Orser in the lead.

She could skate for Ukraine. I just want to see her overcome and skate again. She loves Russia but the Russfed has moved on from her so she needs to maybe do likewise. Opinions?
I don't have confidence that evgenia or Alina or any of the nastyas for that matter will learn these incredibly complex jumps that very few do. Also you have to be a certain size and weight to pull these triple axles and quads off.

So did I and I still can't find really what happened and when it happened.

It happened but it's over and Zhenya will recover and move on.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Edea is a very popular skating brand, I believe Zagitova, Kostornaia and Shcherbakova all wear them, they'll do just fine as long as this isn't a widespread issue where it happens multiple times around major competitions for big-time skaters. It could have had something to do with how she breaks in the skates or what she did at the time they broke, etc.

No high-level, custom-made boot should break down after only 1 month. Nothing Evgenia could have done to cause this. I don't think there's much doubt it's a manufacturer's defect issue. I would be interested in knowing exactly where the failure in the boot occurred....I've heard different things (the shell, the sole, etc). Regardless, it's not a good look for Edea.

Many many skaters have moved to Edea, but I'd be interested to know who's still using good old fashioned leather? At least with leather boots, you had gradual and more predictable failure, rarely unforeseen catastrophic collapse.

sworddance21

On the Ice
She cried hard when she saw she is not OGM. Then she switched to Brian. :/

I think switching to Brian was not negative, but positive. She knew she needed to train differently and she made changes that benefited her in that regard. She's a much stronger skater now than she was when she moved to Toronto. Good for her.

sworddance21

On the Ice
These skaters have custom fitted boots, they're not just any off the shelf pair. They're made to measure for each person. It would be almost as bad as brand new off the shelf ones.

I'm not a skater, but I am a dancer and I can only imagine that this must be absolutely true. It is HORRIBLE and dangerous to dance in a shoe that is broken in to the shape of someone else's foot. I would imagine it to be much worse with skates mostly because the consequences if something goes wrong could be much more dire.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Stuff happens, and it’s unfortunate that this happened to Zhenya at an important competition. I don’t think her situation is that comparable to Nathan’s though, as Nathan wears a brand of boots that do not last as long, and he wears his boots down faster with all his quads. If Zhenya never dealt with this before, it seems reasonable that she doesn’t bring an extra pair with her to competitions, or have a second pair ready to go at all times.

I think the main reason Nathan’s boots break down so fast is that he’s jumping so many quads and not because Jacksons generally have a shorter shelf life than other brands. Quite a few elite skaters have had problems with Edeas.

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I love Medvedeva but I’m not buying what she’s selling this time. Boot problems are generally an excuse...if she didn’t have good strong boots in order for the biggest comp of the year then that’s on her...which is terribly sad because I love her programs.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
When they announced her WD in the arena the reaction that Eteri gave was absolutely dubious. She transmitted an I dont buy this look. They are no longer in any relationship so I guess Eteri feels it is ok to throw shade with facial reaction. Or maybe she knows real deal.

Eteri really knows Zhenya. But I don’t think Brian would let her make up a story like this. I believe her. Her skating was not bad in the SP just not perfect. Sounds like she will fight on. I agree with poster that quality issues are in every product. It is a greedy world and even skate boot companies cut pennies and dollars to increase profit. There is a new thread about past people with skate boot issues. It seems hugely common.

I like her and her skating skills have gotten better. I’m not blind but I think we should give her benefit of the doubt. She isn’t pulling excuses all the time. I think she must be crushed. She is gutsy to go on training and hoping. God bless her!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
No high-level, custom-made boot should break down after only 1 month. Nothing Evgenia could have done to cause this. I don't think there's much doubt it's a manufacturer's defect issue. I would be interested in knowing exactly where the failure in the boot occurred....I've heard different things (the shell, the sole, etc). Regardless, it's not a good look for Edea.

Many many skaters have moved to Edea, but I'd be interested to know who's still using good old fashioned leather? At least with leather boots, you had gradual and more predictable failure, rarely unforeseen catastrophic collapse.

Let's see: Risport, Jackson, Riedell, Harlick, Graf and the list goes on...