Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals

eaglehelang

Final Flight
In skating I’ve not heard of any situations where permission has been denied to be released.

Not sure what this has to do with boots though.

Does anyone know how the Russian press and fans took the news of Med’s withdrawal and the reason given?

Because some want Evgenia to switch to Canada cos she seem to have lost tbe support of Russia Fed.

Someone mentioned in earlier post abt a young Russia skater being flat out denied when applying to change country.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Here's hoping Edea will inspect Medvedeva's broken boots. If the company is smart, it will determine the likelihood of materials vs. process failure along the supply chain. I only hope the breakage isn't due to anything more sinister. (Although materials failure in bespoke skates is bad enough.)

This is a good point and back on track. The subject was Zhenya her boots the WD and my wish that maybe she could continue to skate at Elite level even if it meant emigrating. I learned now how hard this is but maybe they will change rules if Russian athletes get banned. If it is OAR again they should not block her. And Canada would grab her if rules allowed. She is pretty much done in Russia but still wants to compete. It is sad for her and Alina their shelf life is up without quads and trixels. Alina I bet any money will quit. Why not. But Zhenya like Kwan and Asada badly wants another shot at thenOlympic gold and that is a powerful motivator. I really hope it somehow happens. Brian Orser must have a lot of power in Canadian skating. I think she could make a case that she wants to skate for any country given the corruption in drug taking that seems endemic. Russia may be really banned. Many feel only a real ban and not a slap is due because Putin not only allows but likely encourages winning at any cost. He could stop this but lies and denies. So only the Russian judge at top comps might mark her down. I just don’t see this way forward as impossible. I guess I really hope her dream to try again comes true!

Yes that would be a huge Drama but I think she is skating for herself now. Who knows? Ilia Kulik and Katia had careers here. They live here and visit Russia. Yes as pros I know but others leave Russia. Look at how many top coaches left Russia for good like Marina Zueva. Isn’t she Canadian now? How about RAF? Others? I want to see Zhenya mature asan artist while keeping her tech up. It is silly to feel sorry for her or Alina if this is the end. We have lost many child wonder girls from Russia. But Zhenya is different because she truly wants to be a Liza T and not an Adelina if you get my meaning.

skatespin

On the Ice
Edea boots have lots of defects so what happened to Evgenia is not totally surprising. Knowing Edea, they will give her a replacement pair, but not openly admit fault. I wish high level skaters would bring more attention to boot defects and quality control issues, but many likely receive free boots and what not.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Edea boots have lots of defects so what happened to Evgenia is not totally surprising. Knowing Edea, they will give her a replacement pair, but not openly admit fault. I wish high level skaters would bring more attention to boot defects and quality control issues, but many likely receive free boots and what not.

Tbh it sounds like less of a fault and more like an unfortunate downside to to this carbon material. You get light boots that take less than ten days to break in but they break down quickly, sometimes very quickly. Even skaters like myself would get a new pair in this situation.

I heard the actual issue was the sole came away from the boot? Also it happened in practice? Weren’t practices filmed?

I saw quite a few people tag Edea on Twitter these past two days without any response. Of course the situation was very difficult, complicated by the location of the event, but one would expect them to post some kind of statement at least. Even just from their perspective, to show good PR.

I wonder if they will respond. Hopefully not like the Chen Olympics situation.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Almost 400 million population of USA, Canada and Australia (nations of immigrants) disagree with you.

I can't understand the ideology of "wherever you were born, there you must stay and die". It seems rather arbitrary.

If my grandparents had stayed in their home country, they would likely have perished in WWII and I would not exist. If the climate changes as some predict, we will see a lot more migration from endangered areas, but I digress. Please more about the boot problems.

Albus

Match Penalty
You said "his students can't win anything rofl", which is a bold faced lie. :biggrin:

Now you compound your lie by insinuating Brian has very little to do with Hanyu's success and doesn't even train him that much. :laugh:

Then you insulted Hanyu by denying him the "greatest skater as ever lived" moniker (that's what he's routinely called nowadays, not just by fans, but on TV) and insulted Brian again.

As for comparing a male to a 15 year old girl - actually, other girls skate much more beautifully IMO, but since you were talking about "not winning anything" it's only fair to compare one OGM performance vs. another OGM performance, in the same Olympics.

The difference in quality is striking. In one case, perfection. In another, not so much. It's due to a different approach by coaches. One cares about perfection and artistry (and his skaters work on it, too), the other doesn't, and instead chooses to ramp up points.
It is pretty clear, I told about ladies since I mentioned Yuna. The only one successful lady in Orser's career.
I remember plenty of news, that Hanyu doesn't live in Canada and trained in Japan mostly.
I don't insult Hanyu, I just don't find him to be the greatest skater and I don't care much who does find, whether his fans or his fans on tv. He is defiantly not in my list.
Eteri Tutberidze cares about all the things, that's why she is the greatest coach.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Do you remember when Alina couldn't get to a competition last year because of her documents? Or Ksenia S. and her coach Svetlana Panova this season? Sometimes things just happen. Do we even know if Tutberidze students travel with 2 pairs of skates that you are so sure it would have been different for them?

Fluture

Record Breaker
Do you remember when Alina couldn't get to a competition last year because of her documents? Or Ksenia S. and her coach Svetlana Panova this season? Sometimes things just happen. Do we even know if Tutberidze students travel with 2 pairs of skates that you are so sure it would have been different for them?

A lot of skaters (e.g. Ashley Wagner as the most recent, I have seen) have spoken up in the last few days, stating that basically no one carries two pairs of skates with them to competitions and that skating in new boots can cause serious injury as well. I‘m not a skater so I don‘t know. But I would trust those who are and who do and have competed on the elite level for many, many years. Honestly, if this had happened to a Tutberidze skater, they would have been pitied and there would have been a huge outcry. And rightfully so because it‘s just bad luck at the worst possible moment. But because it‘s Evgenia, it‘s suddenly either Orser‘s fault or Evgenia‘s, who‘s “making an excuse“. What a stupid thing to say.

As for Alina.. one would think coaches and parents should have their travel documents in order. But they didn‘t and it happens! People are human too, they make mistakes, they forget things. It‘s laughable saying something like that (a boot accident that no one could have foreseen) wouldn‘t happen in her team because she is perfect. Well, a) no one can control this and b) other things have happened to her skaters that could have been prevented if she truly was perfect. Which she isn’t, obviously.

In Alina‘s case it wasn‘t a big deal (it was made one by fans, of course, though) because she could pack her things and go to a different Challenger. Evgenia, though, had the Nationals on the line. That‘s a wholly different situation.

1111bm

Final Flight
Nathan Chen supposedly travels with two broken-in boots to competitions, I seem to recall that he mentioned this in an interview a few seasons ago, not sure if he still does nowadays, though.

He started doing so after his boots broke down at Worlds 2017. The 2016/17 season was his first 'quad heavy' season where he did up to 5/6 quads in one program, so he probably had not yet found the right rhythm of how often he actually needs to change boots or underestimated the effect it has on his equipment. But that experience has taught him to take some necessary precautions.
But he's in Jackson skates (and has said once that it only takes him one day to break them in) and I don't know if there's been cases of Jackson skates being defective or breaking down in such an unexpected way/too early, the way those Edea boots apparently have. :shrug:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is pretty clear, I told about ladies since I mentioned Yuna. The only one successful lady in Orser's career.
I remember plenty of news, that Hanyu doesn't live in Canada and trained in Japan mostly.
I don't insult Hanyu, I just don't find him to be the greatest skater and I don't care much who does find, whether his fans or his fans on tv. He is defiantly not in my list.
Eteri Tutberidze cares about all the things, that's why she is the greatest coach.

What about Fernandez?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Tbh it sounds like less of a fault and more like an unfortunate downside to to this carbon material. You get light boots that take less than ten days to break in but they break down quickly, sometimes very quickly. Even skaters like myself would get a new pair in this situation.

I heard the actual issue was the sole came away from the boot? Also it happened in practice? Weren’t practices filmed?

I wonder if they will respond. Hopefully not like the Chen Olympics situation.

It has been reported that Edea has had quality control issues for the past few years so it could very well be a defect. The boots were only a few weeks old - that is, she had basically just broken them in. That’s way too soon for them to break down regardless of their composition. She’s not taxing them like Nathan Chen and other multi quad jumpers ( to be clear, Nathan’s not in Edeas).

icybear

Medalist
LOL, you completely missed my points. Just because Americans disagree on current immigration policy, doesn't mean most would ever subscribe to a rather totalitarian-sounding ideology of "if you leave your native country you're a traitor!". That's all. :biggrin:

Okay now you're just mixing everything together. My last comment was referring to the part I made bold. Which has nothing to do with being a traitor or not. And you sound so certain nationalism is rare in America. Lol! Just read the news.

oly2018

Final Flight
Nathan Chen supposedly travels with two broken-in boots to competitions, I seem to recall that he mentioned this in an interview a few seasons ago, not sure if he still does nowadays, though.

He started doing so after his boots broke down at Worlds 2017. The 2016/17 season was his first 'quad heavy' season where he did up to 5/6 quads in one program, so he probably had not yet found the right rhythm of how often he actually needs to change boots or underestimated the effect it has on his equipment. But that experience has taught him to take some necessary precautions.
But he's in Jackson skates (and has said once that it only takes him one day to break them in) and I don't know if there's been cases of Jackson skates being defective or breaking down in such an unexpected way/too early, the way those Edea boots apparently have. :shrug:

I have seen these two comments from Nathan too. He usually carries two pairs and he breaks in boots really fast. He's probably and exception to the rule because of the beating he puts on his boots. In one interview he said he has about 4 pairs of boots with blades mounted and ready to go at all times.

I have seen quite a few people mention the unique material used in edeas that tend to just breakdown out of nowhere instead of gradually, like leather based skates. It could have been a fluke issue, but not a great PR look for Edea.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Call it conspiracy theory but i have a feeling this was a strategic WD, after the not so great SP result.

There were realistic chances Tuktamysheva would have beated Medvedeva, and they probably didn't want that to happen. Anyway Medvedeva's chances to make the team were basically none.

The approach kinda reminds me of Post 2010 Olympics Yuna Kim: show up only at the events she is sure to get something out of it.

They probably want to have a very strong first half of the season, winning as much as possible to go to Nationals as one of the top 2-3 skaters, with maybe a GPF medal and make a case to be in the team, and they understand they might need a quad for that, or even just saying it makes you willing to stay in the top in the eyes of the media/public.

I love how Perviy Kanal is so on top of the drama, they had the Eteri cam when the speaker announced it, trying so hard to capture a reaction (that supposed eye roll)

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Call it conspiracy theory but i have a feeling this was a strategic WD, after the not so great SP result.

There were realistic chances Tuktamysheva would have beated Medvedeva, and they probably didn't want that to happen. Anyway Medvedeva's chances to make the team were basically none.

The approach kinda reminds me of Post 2010 Olympics Yuna Kim: show up only at the events she is sure to get something out of it.

They probably want to have a very strong first half of the season, winning as much as possible to go to Nationals as one of the top 2-3 skaters, with maybe a GPF medal and make a case to be in the team, and they understand they might need a quad for that, or even just saying it makes you willing to stay in the top in the eyes of the media/public.

I love how Perviy Kanal is so on top of the drama, they had the Eteri cam when the speaker announced it, trying so hard to capture a reaction (that supposed eye roll)

It's absolutely a conspiracy theory.

Zhenya's boots broke in practice, there is genuine video and photo evidence of her skating in practice with laces and tape holding her skate together before the short programme. They didn't just come up with this as an excuse for her SP performance (where she landed 3 triples despite laces holding her skates together).

Fluture

Record Breaker

Er, her boots broke before the competition and before the SP. Like another user here said, there‘s proof of that. And actually, the sad irony is that she absolutely could have been at least top 4. It‘s not like Tuk had the best competition of her life. And Trusova‘s score ended up being one point higher than Med‘s best one internationally this season. I‘m not saying she would have been third, I‘m actually pretty sure she wouldn‘t, based on what happened in the SP. The score there was absolutely a message and it was clear from the beginning who they wanted for the team but that‘s a separate issue. I see no use in this “strategic WD“, in fact if that‘s what they were playing at it was the absolute worst strategy I‘ve ever seen lol. She could fairly easily have been the first alternate. Now she‘s not even the second. I‘m sure that‘s totally what she wanted. :laugh: