Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals

Casual

On the Ice
That said, I don’t see why Evgenia would switch. She would have a better chance of getting to Worlds/Olympics, but would not improve her chances of winning, which is what she wants.

You have a point. I just saw an old interview by Eteri where she seems to imply that switching federations from Russia to a weaker Fed like Georgia took off at least "5 points in the components" for Moris. /jaw drops on floor/

Which is just... Wow. Here we are, wasting time debating the existence of the Russian bonus... while the idol coach of those who deny-deny-deny the existence of the "country factor", publicly admits it. :laugh:

icybear

Medalist
They are called "nations of immigrants", because everyone is either a first generation immigrant or ancestors were immigrants. So if people followed your ideology of "never change your nationality, die where you were born" - America, Canada and Australia wouldn't exist, and 400 million people would live elsewhere.

1 in 4 Americans are first or second generation immigrant (i.e., either foreign born themselves, or have foreign born parents), another 25% are third generation (i.e., have foreign born grandparents). There're only 5 million of Native Americans (1.5%). Everyone else's family came from somewhere. Bradie Tenell does not have Native American (native Indian tribes) heritage, her ancestors were immigrants from Europe.

I think most white people living in America wouldnt call themselves an immigrant in America just because their great ancestors were. And I'm sure if you asked an average American person to identify themselves as another nationality they would say no.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
That said, I don’t see why Evgenia would switch. She would have a better chance of getting to Worlds/Olympics, but would not improve her chances of winning, which is what she wants.

I don’t think any of us are privy to what Evgenia’s goals may be, but it certainly could be that she wants to enjoy a long distinguished career while continuing to improve artistically, a la Carolina Kostner, with additional Olympic and Worlds medals being great but not essential. She’s already won Worlds and been on the Olympic podium, after all.

DenissVFan

Medalist
It's running late for switching countries in this Olympic cycle anyway. Given how many formalities one has to fulfil (being released by the original fed, being authorised by ISU, sitting out a year, getting citizenship) I think it's getting very late now. In addition, if your original fed wants to be mean, it can play a waiting game with you, which will delay being ISU-authorised. Imagine applying to be released and then missing the Olympics anyway because of formalities.

It'd be interesting to hear Alexander Gamelin's thoughts on becoming a Korean citizen for the sake of the Olympics. I wonder if he's happy with his decision in hindsight.

I seriously doubt that any of Zhenya, Alina, Liza and Sofia would change countries now. Had Zhenya wanted to, it'd would have been better to do it right after the previous Olympic cycle.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t think any of us are privy to what Evgenia’s goals may be, but it certainly could be that she wants to enjoy a long distinguished career while continuing to improve artistically, a la Carolina Kostner, with additional Olympic and Worlds medals being great but not essential. She’s already won Worlds and been on the Olympic podium, after all.

Do you really believe that? I think it’s apparent she wants another shot at Olympic gold.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I was the one who wants her to continue because she loves skating and has a hope of another Olympics. But unless all the quad girls in the world and the axel girls grow to fast and or get injured then it will be very hard for skaters like Zhenya Alina and Sofia to get international assignments. Again the 3 A swept the podium. They have not just Russian at home dominance but they won GPF so they likely will sweep worlds. Maybe if one has a truly bad skate Rika can get in there. Or a consistent triple jumper like Bradie. She was 5 in thenGPF so there is hope. Liza had a really bad FP. At 23 maybe she quits. Alina won’t keep skating well to lose. Zhenya may have more than boot issue.

I knew nothing of being released by Rusfed and learned a lot here how things work. I’m not a Liza fan and I am meh about Sofia. I think they have both seen their day. I think Zhenya has ability to learn a quad and she has improved her basic skating and jump technique under Orser. But only they know if she is maxed out technically. I wanted her to go on and try and she has. Maybe she should just do shows now. Same with Alina unless she commits to training axels or quads. I don’t know if she can. Anyone have opinion on which quad or the axel both girls could learn? If not I think shows and cashing in is the way to go in Russia and Asia for both.

Alina won Oly gold and I don’t believe she will try any more as she feels humiliated after GPF and this season. Zhenya may have some beautiful skates left because she looks at Liza. I wish the coaches would talk honestly about whether either girl can compete technically with the hardest jumps. If they have been trying in practice and are very inconsistent then they maybe should both retire to shows. Russians still love Zhenya and I bet there were many disappointed fans she could not do free skate with bad boot. I am American and I was very disappointed when I didn’t see her watching the final group on YouTube today.

The world is accelerating in every way. We have reached the max in skating re jumps for men and women. Only a handful can do these jumps now. Maybe at Beging we have only 15 year old unfinished jumpers. Now we see how extraordinary Tara was in 1998 when still hardly no one ties triple loop triple loop. Yes hers was wonky but she knew her body would change and that she needed surgery on her hip. I still say she is the template for what Eteri decided to do with small girls. Push push push and here we are. Trusova maybe one day will do all those quads in comp. she is a unicorn. Anna is too. If Alina and Zhenya realize they cannot podium and they both have realized it this season then I expect retirement announcement now from Alina and then Zhenya.

Sadly no boots can help her if she doesn’t have a quad or axel down pat by next season.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker

Zhenya's ultimate goal is the Olympics. She emphasized that once again today in her announcement
"Yes, my next appearance in large public will take place at the public rental at the beginning of the season. Tournaments of group B are possible, but we did not discuss them. Now I have a lot of time and work, I have shows and performances. Everyone knows about the 2022 Olympics. There is a lot of work, while there will be a margin of time in order to focus on training and learning new elements."

Casual

On the Ice
I think most white people living in America wouldn't call themselves an immigrant in America just because their great ancestors were. And I'm sure if you asked an average American person to identify themselves as another nationality they would say no.

There's no mental conflict between acknowledging one's immigrant heritage, however far removed, and self-identity as American. These countries always self-identified as "nations of immigrants". (It's another question if the same levels of immigration can or should be sustained going forward. No consensus on that one.)

Even a first generation American (i.e. foreign-born) would not say "I'm an immigrant and another nationality" but rather "I'm American". At the same time, an American (white or otherwise) would say "we're a nation of immigrants", even if he's the fourth or fifth generation (i.e., with American-born grandparents or great-grandparents).

ruga

Final Flight
I

Anyone have opinion on which quad or the axel both girls could learn? If not I think shows and cashing in is the way to go in Russia and Asia for both.
Evgenia should go for 4S and Alina for 4Lz or 4F IMO.

We still have to see how the careers of the three new talented Russian seniors progress. By the time of Olympics, some troubles may appear as they will be on their third season, just like Evgenia in 2018 or Alina now, so the olympic spots could as well remain open for older skaters. There is a possibility that they'll all be on top level even at 2022 as they're exceptionally talented too, but anything can happen in 2-3 years.

Albus

Match Penalty
You have to be kidding. At least he does not teach first place is winning and everything else is losing, which is horrible sportsmanship.

So that's why his students can't win anything rofl. Only one could and she called him a liar right after Olympic victory as far as I remember. What a great sportsmanship :laugh:

Albus

Match Penalty
I thought it was just a fan term to refer to quads and triple axels. Didn't realise 3Lz-3L was supposed to be included as well... That would mean Alina has ultra-c elements?

To be fair, the scale of values does separate jumps in sections of single, double, triple, quad jumps with the corresponding axels in the category above so (my understanding of) it does make a bit of sense.

(Also, isn't Viner rhythmic gymnastics not artistic?)

They usually use this term just to not repeat all these 3A, quads, quad combos etc... And rhythmic of cause, I messed

Casual

On the Ice
So that's why his students can't win anything rofl. Only one could and she called him a liar right after Olympic victory as far as I remember. What a great sportsmanship :laugh:

:rolleye: "Yuzuru Hanyu" doesn't ring a bell? As in, "the greatest skater ever lived", trained by Brian? No?

When Eteri produces someone 1/3 as perfect, we'll talk.

Just for fun, re-watch OGM performances. First Hanyu, then Zagitova. And then hope your eyes wouldn't bleed, due to unsurmountable gap in quality.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
The federation paid/pays for her training, travel, and equipment. She’s a World and Olympic medalist. Why would Russia release her so she can win medals for another country after they financed much of her success?

(She wouldn’t want to anyway, as many have mentioned).

Afaik it’s that way in all sports if you have represented them internationally. There is a statute of limitations on it, if that’s the right term, but it’s to stop rich countries buying athletes from poorer countries.

In skating I’ve not heard of any situations where permission has been denied to be released.

Not sure what this has to do with boots though.

Does anyone know how the Russian press and fans took the news of Med’s withdrawal and the reason given?

lesnar001

Record Breaker
:rolleye: "Yuzuru Hanyu" doesn't ring a bell? As in, "the greatest skater ever lived", trained by Brian? No?

Just for fun, re-watch OGM performances. First Hanyu, then Zagitova. And then hope your eyes wouldn't bleed, due to unsurmountable gap in quality.

My eyes are bleeding from reading your horribly nasty post.
Oh, but I'm sure that wasn't your intention at all. Since you keep touting yourself as some holy keeper of skating purity.

In my opinion, there is an insurmountable gap between 99.9% of GS members (who have some sense of civility) and you.

Albus

Match Penalty

We talked about ladies single. And Hanyu trained in Japan mostly, going to Canada only sometimes. I remember some news earlier about that.
And I don't know anybody who could be named as "the greatest skater ever lived" and was coached by Orser at the same time. If you are about Hanyu, than ok, it's funny, and you can have your personal opinion, but it is absolutely impossible to share that. However I would not even use such terms as the greatest muh ever lived which is more than obviously incorrect. And to compare male and 15yo girl, wow this is beyond...

Casual

On the Ice
My eyes are bleeding from reading your horribly nasty post.
Oh, but I'm sure that wasn't your intention at all. Since you keep touting yourself as some holy keeper of skating purity.

In my opinion, there is an insurmountable gap between 99.9% of GS members (who have some sense of civility) and you.

Sure, my friend. But you have no problem with the poster I responded to, who nastily dumped on Orser (and lied), right? :laugh:

"Unimpressed by Eteri skaters" is not "being nasty". The gap in quality is obvious.

TA91

Rinkside
Even a first generation American (i.e. foreign-born) would not say "I'm an immigrant and another nationality" but rather "I'm American". At the same time, an American (white or otherwise) would say "we're a nation of immigrants", even if he's the fourth or fifth generation (i.e., with American-born grandparents or great-grandparents).

Actually they would, my parents and a lot of other first generation immigrants do because they are proud of their origin and it's hard to escape when people ask all the time 'where are you from'. Even I, as a first born generation, say both nationalities because it's a part of me.

DenissVFan

Medalist
What about the boots drama, please!!

I saw quite a few people tag Edea on Twitter these past two days without any response. Of course the situation was very difficult, complicated by the location of the event, but one would expect them to post some kind of statement at least. Even just from their perspective, to show good PR.