Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Sure, my friend. But you have no problem with the poster I responded to, who nastily dumped on Orser (and lied), right? :laugh:

"Unimpressed by Eteri skaters" is not "being nasty". The gap in quality is obvious.

Wrong on all counts.

You went a little further than saying "unimpressed" my friend.

I don't respond to every post I disagree with.
If I agreed with him, I would have "liked" his post.

And if I DID respond, it would not be by being outright nasty to another skater.
I would have simply pointed out that Brian Orser coaches Yuzuru Hanyu and up until recently, Javier.

Casual

On the Ice
We talked about ladies single. And Hanyu trained in Japan mostly, going to Canada only sometimes. I remember some news earlier about that.
And I don't know anybody who could be named as "the greatest skater ever lived" and was coached by Orser at the same time. If you are about Hanyu, than ok, it's funny, and you can have your personal opinion, but it is absolutely impossible to share that. However I would not even use such terms as the greatest muh ever lived which is more than obviously incorrect. And to compare male and 15yo girl, wow this is beyond...

You said "his students can't win anything rofl", which is a bold faced lie. :biggrin:

Now you compound your lie by insinuating Brian has very little to do with Hanyu's success and doesn't even train him that much. :laugh:

Then you insulted Hanyu by denying him the "greatest skater as ever lived" moniker (that's what he's routinely called nowadays, not just by fans, but on TV) and insulted Brian again.

As for comparing a male to a 15 year old girl - actually, other girls skate much more beautifully IMO, but since you were talking about "not winning anything" it's only fair to compare one OGM performance vs. another OGM performance, in the same Olympics.

The difference in quality is striking. In one case, perfection. In another, not so much. It's due to a different approach by coaches. One cares about perfection and artistry (and his skaters work on it, too), the other doesn't, and instead chooses to ramp up points.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
This thread should be closed imo or at the very least renamed.

Casual

On the Ice
You went a little further than saying "unimpressed" my friend.

Severely unimpressed, my friend. And if you'll tell me you don't see the difference in quality of skating, (not tech points, but lack of finesse, artistry, polish, perfect movements), I won't believe you.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Severely unimpressed, my friend. And if you'll tell me you don't see the difference in quality of skating, (not tech points, but lack of finesse, artistry, polish, perfect movements), I won't believe you.

Of course I see the differences. So what?
You know why I responded to your orignal post.
But you keep trying to change the subject.

icybear

Medalist
There's no mental conflict between acknowledging one's immigrant heritage, however far removed, and self-identity as American. These countries always self-identified as "nations of immigrants". (It's another question if the same levels of immigration can or should be sustained going forward. No consensus on that one.)

Even a first generation American (i.e. foreign-born) would not say "I'm an immigrant and another nationality" but rather "I'm American". At the same time, an American (white or otherwise) would say "we're a nation of immigrants", even if he's the fourth or fifth generation (i.e., with American-born grandparents or great-grandparents).

I think you're missing the point. My first comment:
I cant understand this ideology of changing nationality like changing jackets
You replied:
Almost 400 million population of USA, Canada and Australia (nations of immigrants) disagree with you.
Suggesting that almost all American, Canadian, Australian people of today would change nationality like it meant nothing to them. Nothing to do with whether they came from a immigrant nation or not.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
To say nothing of the nastiness about Zhenya and Alina and the bizarre nationality debates, WHOA, so Brian had little to do with Yuzuru Hanyu's success? Yuzu himself would be the first one to correct that whopper.

Also, I 100% agree that Yuzu is the greatest skater ever, but please don't anyone think that ALL of his fans think there's an eye-bleeding difference in quality between Alina and him. What makes someone the greatest as opposed to one of the greats is that... there's only one greatest. And just because others lack some of what the greatest has doesn't mean they're not plenty great themselves.

MODS, PLEASE CLOSE THIS DISASTER OF A THREAD.

Casual

On the Ice
Actually they would, my parents and a lot of other first generation immigrants do because they are proud of their origin and it's hard to escape when people ask all the time 'where are you from'. Even I, as a first born generation, say both nationalities because it's a part of me.

Depends who's asking and why, for example at home or abroad. :laugh: Most first generation would say "I'm originally from" or "I'm *whatever*", when asked "where are you from", or "American" when asked by a foreigner or in a survey.

That was exactly my point, there's no disconnect between pride in one's immigrant heritage and pride in being American. Most love to mention their heritage, no matter how far removed. "I'm Irish!" says someone whose great-granddaddy immigrated from Dublin. :laugh:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Suggesting that almost all American, Canadian, Australian people of today would change nationality like it meant nothing to them. Nothing to do with whether they came from a immigrant nation or not.

Going off tangent but those countries allow dual citizenship, so one wouldn't be necessarily forced to change nationalities.

Casual

On the Ice

Not true at all. What I suggested instead was that they would disagree with your ideology of "wherever you were born, that's where you should stay and die". Because how could they disapprove of someone choosing a different country to pursue happiness and better life, if they themselves, or their ancestors, did the same?

"It's a free country", Americans are fond of saying. It's free to leave, too, if one would want to. If leaving would make him/her happy, why not? Pursuit of happiness is his/her right, as defined by the constitution.

Casual

On the Ice
Of course I see the differences. So what?
You know why I responded to your orignal post.
But you keep trying to change the subject.

Yes, I know why you responded to my post while ignoring profoundly nastier posts by my opponents. Pure as the driven snow, your motivation to defend the downtrodden. Sure. :luv17:

elegance

Words are my skates.
Rinkside
Here's hoping Edea will inspect Medvedeva's broken boots. If the company is smart, it will determine the likelihood of materials vs. process failure along the supply chain. I only hope the breakage isn't due to anything more sinister. (Although materials failure in bespoke skates is bad enough.)

Casual

On the Ice
Here's hoping Edea will inspect Medvedeva's broken boots. If the company is smart, it will determine the likelihood of materials vs. process failure along the supply chain. I only hope the breakage isn't due to anything more sinister. (Although materials failure in bespoke skates is bad enough.)

Outsourcing, maybe? Or cost-cutting? Quality problems are plaguing all companies, no matter how well respected in the past.

icybear

Medalist
Not true at all. What I suggested instead was that they would disagree with your ideology of "wherever you were born, that's where you should stay and die". Because how could they disapprove of someone choosing a different country to pursue happiness and better life, if they themselves, or their ancestors, did the same?

"It's a free country", Americans are fond of saying. It's free to leave, too, if one would want to. If leaving would make him/her happy, why not? Pursuit of happiness is his/her right, as defined by the constitution.

Hmm... not sure you can claim that for certain for all Americans. Nationalism and views on immigrants entering into their country is a strong topic in America at the moment.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Outsourcing, maybe? Or cost-cutting? Quality problems are plaguing all companies, no matter how well respected in the past.

Edea has reportedly had quality control problems over the past few years. Since these boots were quite new and would not normally break down so soon, there may well have been a defect.

Casual

On the Ice
Hmm... not sure you can claim that for certain for all Americans. Nationalism and views on immigrants entering into their country is a strong topic in America at the moment.

LOL, you completely missed my points. Just because Americans disagree on current immigration policy, doesn't mean most would ever subscribe to a rather totalitarian-sounding ideology of "if you leave your native country you're a traitor!". That's all. :biggrin:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
LOL, you completely missed my points. Just because Americans disagree on current immigration policy, doesn't mean most would ever subscribe to a rather totalitarian-sounding ideology of "if you leave your native country you're a traitor!". That's all. :biggrin:

I don't know, I bet you anything if Shaun White or Simone Biles decided to go and represent Russia there'd be some very angry Americans.

The point here is that Zhenya herself what's to represent Russia. She could try and change nationality, but she doesn't want to, so the point is moot.

Casual

On the Ice
I don't know, I bet you anything if Shaun White or Simone Biles decided to go and represent Russia there'd be some very angry Americans.

The point here is that Zhenya herself what's to represent Russia. She could try any change nationality, but she doesn't want to, so the point is moot.

I wouldn't care if they left. And I love Shaun White! :laugh:

I wouldn't be angry if they wanted to represent Russia, but I would be concerned. For them. If you want to move somewhere, pick somewhere warm. Without KGB. :laugh:

The point discussed about Zhenya is not whether she'd want to move, but that apparently she might not be allowed to. That's just so wrong. I had no idea.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Medvedeva was half Armenian. Can she switch to Armenia without RusFed consent? (Since it won't be like switching to a totally unrelated third country, but just claiming another half of her heritage?)

It's easy to be patriotic if you are indentured bound to your master and can't leave.

I think that’s a bit harsh. These countries are paying a lot of money to train these skaters. If the skaters all took the money and the training and then went to skate for Tragicistan or wherever it would not be fair to the Fed who paid for their training. If it were me I’d probably do anything to get away from Eteri, but that’s just me.

And no, she can’t “just switch.” She’d have to be released by Russian Fed. Which might actually happen because I’m sure they think she’s washed up and done. But by all accounts *she* doesn’t want to.

If you are born in USA and want to skate for Tragicistan, it’s really no problem. Just don’t get involved with USA Fed or represent US first.

Casual

On the Ice
I think that’s a bit harsh. These countries are paying a lot of money to train these skaters. If the skaters all took the money and the training and then went to skate for Tragicistan or wherever it would not be fair to the Fed who paid for their training. If it were me I’d probably do anything to get away from Eteri, but that’s just me.

Sure these countries are paying a lot of money to train these skaters, but it's these countries choice, not skaters. Especially in sports where one starts as a young child.

In a way, these countries are like a parent who decides to spend a lot on a child, in order to brag in front of other parents. The amount of money spent in no way makes a child obligated, and the child should be free to leave at any time (once he gains majority).

If the countries want to take a risk and spend that money, for the sake of national prestige, it's their choice. They are doing it because they are getting something in return (medals, PR, salaries for sports officials, etc.) But I don't see why an athlete would be obligated to stay with that Fed, unless there's a mutually agreed contract. And any contract should have an escape clause.

They can't even make it contractual (we pay you for 2 years, you promise to stay with us for 2 years or reimburse us), because many of these athletes are minors.

Agree about Eteri. The things she says are scary.