European Skating 2021-22 Season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

European Skating 2021-22 Season

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks to @pete @el henry and @Skatesocs for clarifying this mess. It’s the Swedish Olympic committee that’s embarrassed by their skaters and not the skating federation.

So I can give them the credit for their honesty. Haha

Probably the Olympic committee had no idea they qualified for the Olympics until yesterday and probably was all like “Wait, we have ice skating here? And we qualified for the Olympics? Ok, who are our athletes?”

Then they looked at the names. “On second thought, let’s go back to forgetting about this whole figure skating thing” haha

Looks like there was massive miscommunication here between the Olympic committee and skating fed.

My prediction is that the Swedish skaters will go as advertised. I’ll be shocked if the Olympic committee will fall on the sword for a sport so far down on their radar.

And I know there is outrage, but I am laughing while I type this thinking how the Olympic committee is blatantly burying their skaters. Again, it may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but their honesty is refreshing.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
They wouldn’t show up and do crossovers at the Olympics.
It is true, but the point isn't even TES (even though that's all that counts for the ISU). Josefin's PCS quality is up there with that Joker program with the best skaters in the world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RMWnhzHIDg no need at all for a lutz or loop (although I do wish she'd done the third combo lol). No one in the world can really do that program as well as that, she's unique. Not even 60 PCS is moronic.

(Also her sal combo is strong, and some went 0 GOE on it :rolleye: )

It's why I didn't bring up the TES mins, and instead only how bad I found her PCS scoring. SOK does deserve criticism, absolutely, but they wouldn't need to make the poor choice they'll probably make if only the judges knew there was more to skating than (failed) quads and the country flag beside some names. But at least SOK need to let her go if she offers to pay for herself.

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
SOK does deserve criticism, absolutely, but they wouldn't need to make the poor choice they'll probably make if only the judges knew there was more to skating than (failed) quads and the country flag beside some names. But at least SOK need to let her go if she offers to pay for herself.
Her name has to be Kostner for that to happen.

DenissVFan

Medalist
It is true, but the point isn't even TES (even though that's all that counts for the ISU). Josefin's PCS quality is up there with that Joker program with the best skaters in the world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RMWnhzHIDg no need at all for a lutz or loop (although I do wish she'd done the third combo lol). No one in the world can really do that program as well as that, she's unique. Not even 60 PCS is moronic.

(Also her sal combo is strong, and some went 0 GOE on it :rolleye: )

It's why I didn't bring up the TES mins, and instead only how bad I found her PCS scoring. SOK does deserve criticism, absolutely, but they wouldn't need to make the poor choice they'll probably make if only the judges knew there was more to skating than (failed) quads and the country flag beside some names. But at least SOK need to let her go if she offers to pay for herself.
Scoring is of course a big issue but the point is you shouldn't have to place 8 or higher to go to the Olympics when there are 30 spots. If you get the 30th spot and meet the ISU's requirements, your own country shouldn't make it more difficult for you.

So, in my eyes:
the Australian Olympic Committee that supports the skater who grabbed the very last Olympic ticket > the Swedish Olympic Committee that is embarrassed of the 15th skater at the World Championships.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
All this top girls had higher PCS then they deserve. If she skated for Russia or USA she would get higher points for everything.
That's what I was taking into account. That's why I added the Russian/US skaters PCS to her scores. It's still not enough. Sasha's PCS weren't high enough to get her into the top 10 in the SP. It would be higher, yes. But not enough to make up the TES difference to even the lower TES skaters. Russian PCS might get her top 12? That's still 4 places too low.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
^guess that means Gubanova isn't going to be getting citizenship, and Urushadze is through? (thanks for the IG link btw!)

DenissVFan

Medalist
^guess that means Gubanova isn't going to be getting citizenship, and Urushadze is through? (thanks for the IG link btw!)
I don't know. Alina is in the photo as the one who secured the spot, but I think the quote I posted above also applies to the Olympics.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Ask her if she's got Georgian citizenship now :laugh2: Tell her we're all confused if it will be her or Urushadze at the Olympics.
I looked at the other comments under that post and they confirmed that Gubanova has already got citizenship:

(Google Translate):

Question: "Does Gubanova already have citizenship?"
figureskatinggeorgia: "have 😊"

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I looked at the other comments under that post and they confirmed that Gubanova has already got citizenship:

(Google Translate):

Question: "Does Gubanova already have citizenship?"
figureskatinggeorgia: "have 😊"
OH! There's competition for the Women's spot in Georgia!

Skatesocs

Final Flight
On that ^^^ topic, here's a tweet that suggests that the second Spanish Pair doesn't have citizenship, either:

So basically, Spain has a spot in Olympic Pairs. But neither of the Pairs it has is qualified for the Olympics since each has a member without Spanish citizenship. But @ladyjane suggested that B/Z said their citizenship won't be an issue, so let's hope so.

In French Skating news, Mae-Berenice Meite won't perform at Masters, and I think we can assume we won't see her this season. Papadakis/Cizeron have announced both their programs.

Lzbee

Final Flight
Looks like there was massive miscommunication here between the Olympic committee and skating fed.

My prediction is that the Swedish skaters will go as advertised. I’ll be shocked if the Olympic committee will fall on the sword for a sport so far down on their radar.

And I know there is outrage, but I am laughing while I type this thinking how the Olympic committee is blatantly burying their skaters. Again, it may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but their honesty is refreshing.
No, the Swedish Olympic committee have done this for last Olympics with Nikolaj's brother (Alexander Majorov) so there is every danger that they will do so again.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, the Swedish Olympic committee have done this for last Olympics with Nikolaj's brother (Alexander Majorov) so there is every danger that they will do so again.
Thanks for the clarification.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe we will see the skaters skating in the Olympics under a new designation, the UAS. Unwanted Athletes of Sweden.

Does anyone know why the Swedes won’t allow someone to travel at their expense to the Olympics?

Also, are the skaters aware they need to meet certain criteria or does the Olympic committee tell them after the fact?

In other words, do the skaters know before they attempt to qualify?

DenissVFan

Medalist
Maybe we will see the skaters skating in the Olympics under a new designation, the UAS. Unwanted Athletes of Sweden.

Does anyone know why the Swedes won’t allow someone to travel at their expense to the Olympics?

Also, are the skaters aware they need to meet certain criteria or does the Olympic committee tell them after the fact?

In other words, do the skaters know before they attempt to qualify?
Surely after what happened to Alexander they must know they'll be expected to match the result of the 8th place finisher at Worlds within a specified time period but as someone in another thread pointed out it's a really random rule. If the competition is a splat fest then the 8th best score may be for example 150 points but if everybody skates lights out it may be 210.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It is not only the figure skating in Sweden they are harsh to. They did not send 800 meters runner Lovisa Lindh to Tokio Last summer. She got rhe A result for several times and is EC bronze medalist. They demand a lot from athletes apart from the young beginners.