2023 U.S. Nationals Sr. Men's Free Skate | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2023 U.S. Nationals Sr. Men's Free Skate

Cilla70

On the Ice
Nah, I’m not standing up for that (I’m the only one). I felt the length of that program and the music choice is poor. I must have a 2:45 minute tolerance for Brown as I generally like his SPs, but find his free skates maudlin and fake.
10 points. The fact that Jason was that close despite having no quads is telling, but even if he'd landed that last jump he wouldn't have made up 10 points. It would have been hellaclose though.

Ilia needed a bit of a reality check before worlds. He was on the verge of getting too cocky. Every top skater has that moment when they get reminded that the ice can get the best of them.

Jimmy Ma finished 5th which is one step up from his past two nationals. Good for him.
I agree about Ilia. Young athletes can begin to believe the hype and need a reality check. Nathan’s horrible 2018 Olympics helped him become a smarter and even more skilled skater. I think Ilia will learn from this experience.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't the USFed ask Brown to come to Nationals in the hope to get a spot for worlds and with Ilia, secure the 3 spots for men at 2024 worlds? I read this on this board... If that's true, it would be quite counterproductive to not send him based on... the criteria.. :)
I don’t think we will ever know this for sure.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't the USFed ask Brown to come to Nationals in the hope to get a spot for worlds and with Ilia, secure the 3 spots for men at 2024 worlds? I read this on this board... If that's true, it would be quite counterproductive to not send him based on... the criteria.. :)

No, that is Dave Lease's fever dream. Although anything is possible, I have heard this bizarro theory nowhere else.

And if it concerns Jason, chances are I have heard it. ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
No, that is Dave Lease's fever dream. Although anything is possible, I have heard this bizarro theory nowhere else.

And if it concerns Jason, chances are I have heard it. ;)
Sounds like a rumor that should be taken with a grain of salt. Especially if it’s something you read on this forum. In any case, it was still crystal clear that US needed to send a strong wingman because no one else is cutting it. The international results of the American men not named Ilia have been mediocre and Ilia can’t keep the three spots by himself.
OK
let's agree it's a rumour... but at least, I didn't imagine it if you guys confirm it existed..

Let's look at it the other way around.

Let's say I am Jason Brown, well aware of the criteria about international competitions. If there were actually no chance at all I would be given a spot to worlds while doing well at Nationals because of the criteria, I may decide not to try to earn a spot...

So the simple fact that he participated with intentions on getting to the worlds team shows that it wasn't a factor against him... He was on "leave of absence" not underperforming on the GP series.

Anyway...

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
See and I thought they were getting better. They’re talking a lot less over the program IMHO.
Overall, you're probably right. I still miss Peggy Fleming, who had/has such a lovely speaking voice. She was great at knowing when to talk and when to let the skating speak for itself.

Maybe it's just that in the past she yammered so much that now I get triggered just hearing her voice? :scratch2: Gotta try to be more objective going forward.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK
let's agree it's a rumour... but at least, I didn't imagine it if you guys confirm it existed..

Let's look at it the other way around.

Let's say I am Jason Brown, well aware of the criteria about international competitions. If there were actually no chance at all I would be given a spot to worlds while doing well at Nationals because of the criteria, I may decide not to try to earn a spot...

So the simple fact that he participated with intentions on getting to the worlds team shows that it wasn't a factor against him... He was on "leave of absence" not underperforming on the GP series.

Anyway...

If Jason were going with the intent to earn a World spot, yes.

But, having read every single interview with Jason on the subject, :) Jason went to Nats because:

1. after JO he felt he could compete without training all year, which he had no intention of doing.

2. he did not want his last competition to be Oly qualifier or without an audience (COVID). He wanted to give back to the audience without external pressure.

3. He has said in several intreviews: medals, I don't care, this is for me, for going out on my terms (although he would not confirm going out) and for performing in front of an audience which I love.

Jason can be close lipped, but he does not fabricate.

Dave Lease's rumors on the other hand:cautious:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

But, having read every single interview with Jason on the subject, :) Jason went to Nats because:

1. after JO he felt he could compete without training all year, which he had no intention of doing.

2. he did not want his last competition to be Oly qualifier or without an audience (COVID). He wanted to give back to the audience.

3. He has said in several intreviews: medals, I don't care, this is for me, for going out on my terms (although he would not confirm going out) and for performing in front of an audience which I love.

fair enough... too bad he chose Josh Groban because that is not a gift for me :) HA !

In any case, if he wanted audience love, he certainly got it today... I mean, every single move in the field he did was met with oohhhhs and ahhhhs. It must have been very thrilling for him to give back to such an enthusiastic audience. It was a nice skate.

mrrice

Record Breaker
He is not complete. He doesn’t have quads. He doesn’t even try them.
You're correct. With the current scoring system, Edge Quality, Posture, Speed, and Choreography, don't carry enough scoring points to get Jason over a skater like Ilia. It is a shame though. Jason looks fast on TV which means he must be amazing to see in Person. His Ice Coverage, Intricate-Difficult Steps aren't enough to get past the Tech Score that Ilia gets. I think its very telling that Jason gets standing ovations. Big Standing Ovations. At this point in his career, I doubt he plans on doing a quad before he retires.

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker

2. he did not want his last competition to be Oly qualifier or without an audience (COVID). He wanted to give back to the audience without external pressure.

Do you think the current situation played a role or not?
So, imagine Nathan and Vincent at this Nationals, would Jason have skated anyway?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Let’s all follow Ashley Cains advice and boycott TSl.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
fair enough... too bad he chose Josh Groban because that is not a gift for me :) HA !

In any case, if he wanted audience love, he certainly got it today... I mean, every single move in the field he did was met with oohhhhs and ahhhhs. It must have been very thrilling for him to give back to such an enthusiastic audience. It was a nice skate.

Poor Josh Groban. ;) If you can find the video, you should watch young Samuel Mindra. He is an upcoming talent who mashed up a Chopin Nocturne with Andy Williams' Love Story.

I actually did not find it offensive, but I was in the minority. :laugh:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Overall, you're probably right. I still miss Peggy Fleming, who had/has such a lovely speaking voice. She was great at knowing when to talk and when to let the skating speak for itself.

Maybe it's just that in the past she yammered so much that now I get triggered just hearing her voice? :scratch2: Gotta try to be more objective going forward.
Yes I miss Peggy. Uncle Dick as well.

But I came back to the hotel and checked select skaters (Sam Mindra, Jimmy) to see what Tara and Johnny had to say. And I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. Now if only I could hear what Ashley had to say.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The game was well in hand. Have you been following him long? He’s a former junior medalist.

I remember him from juniors, but I don't remember being this impressed.

Yes, the game was not close and SF was down to their 4th QB, but I could not abandon your other fiancé.:biggrin: