USFS names World, JW, & 4CCs team | Page 2 | Golden Skate

USFS names World, JW, & 4CCs team

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I heard that Andrew was outright selected for Worlds. Not for 4CC. He just needs to get minimums. So, I’m excited for him.
I would have been surprised by Torgashev being named to Worlds had I not read the selection criteria. Torgashev had to be named to the team. Plus, he earned that spot dammit. I’m tickled that he gets to go to Worlds after a three-year absence from international competition.

Actually… no…wait a second. Now I’m going to be worried about him getting his minimums.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I would have been surprised by Torgashev being named to Worlds had I not read the selection criteria. Torgashev had to be named to the team. Plus, he earned that spot dammit. I’m tickled that he gets to go to Worlds after a three-year absence from international competition.

Actually… no…wait a second. Now I’m going to be worried about him getting his minimums.
I’m so happy for him. But, like you said, now I have to get nervous for him to achieve minimums. Especially, the short program. But, I love how he was picked.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think a big part of the issue is 4CC being much closer to worlds than Euros and its a disruption to their training schedule.
This reminds me of last season. It was a very special situation of course and maybe it's too intense for fans and media etc. to always to Euros and 4CC in back to back weeks, but I think it would be nice to have them two weeks apart, ideally every season so that skaters can plan better?

Well the ISU should get together with the Feds and representatives of the athletes and have a conversation and try to brainstorm of ways to change it. Consider the US, none of their podium for Mens (except the 'pewter' medal that is uniquely given out in the US) is going to a 4ccs that is in the US, how can you paint the importance of an event if that's the case

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

For Four Continents
Maxim Naumov
Jimmy Ma
Liam Kapeikis

Alternate 1 - Tomoki Hiwatashi
Alternate 2 - Yaroslav Paniot
Alternate 3 - Samuel Mindra

For Worlds

2023 World Championships
Ilia Malinin
Jason Brown
Andrew Torgashev*

Alternate 1 - Camden Pulkinen
Alternate 2 - Maxim Naumov
Alternate 3 - Jimmy Ma

*Must get tech minimums

Women and men will be named to the 2023 U.S. World Junior Team following the conclusion of the World Junior Singles Camp, Feb. 2-3 in Las Vegas.

midori green

On the Ice
Does the US have any junior pairs with minimums besides B/T?
Smith/Deng did (they were 3rd at the Jr Grand Prix final), but they split before nationals. It looks like they're going to send a couple teams out to get minimums before Jr Worlds. There was a lot of shuffling of teams this year, so nobody else was really available earlier in the season other than B/T and Smith/Deng.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
because he managed his quad-triple combo? His layout is not more demanding than the ones you have criticized in the Euro thread.
No. He added his triple to one of his triple jumps in the free skate. I just wish he would add a combo in the first half instead. But, it was 3Lz eu 3S, 3F 3T and 3F 2A, all in the second half. Very gutsy. I guess he felt he needed to go for this ambitious layout just to have a chance at the podium. That is the best combo layout with the least amount of risk.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
No. He added his triple to one of his triple jumps in the free skate. I just wish he would add a combo in the first half instead. But, it was 3Lz eu 3S, 3F 3T and 3F 2A, all in the second half. Very gutsy. I guess he felt he needed to go for this ambitious layout just to have a chance at the podium. That is the best combo layout with the least amount of risk.
i corrected myself.. I meant triple-triple. what you don't like is the 2t. I get that.

But maybe I don't recall the rules properly but if I am not mistaken or going senile, GOE on combos are applied on the highest valued jump of the jumps performed.... So it's actually a good thing to tag a combo after quad... even a double. In an ideal world, the 2 toe would not exist, i get your point of view. However, I am forgiving to the guys who do quads and don't always manage to do a triple at the end of it.... I have never landed a quad... (well... not even a single LOL) but I can imagine that it's harder to do combos on them than on triples. (landing after a higher, faster jump?) This is why the +A seq has opened up a brand new world.

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
i corrected myself.. I meant triple-triple. what you don't like is the 2t. I get that.

But maybe I don't recall the rules properly but if I am not mistaken or going senile, GOE on combos are applied on the highest valued jump of the jumps performed.... So it's actually a good thing to tag a combo after quad... even a double. In an ideal world, the 2 toe would not exist, i get your point of view. However, I am forgiving to the guys who do quads and don't always manage to do a triple at the end of it.... I have never landed a quad... (well... not even a single LOL) but I can imagine that it's harder to do combos on them than on triples. This is why the +A seq has opened up a brand new world.
I hate the 2T with passion. Anna S. was the mastermind of maximizing potential points. She showed how you could go for a quad and eliminate all doubles from the program. She did it with one ultra-c element due to her clever loop combos. Everything after the first quad was just triples. If you see a 2T, that means you are leaving points off the table. This was before they rewarded points for 2A sequences. The guys have more variety of quads and a triple axel to play around with. It should be even easier for them than the girls. Whenever a jump is well landed, an athlete should add on the 3T or go for a 2A sequence. If a jump is landed iffy, they even have the eu to 3S as a back up. A 4T 2T means you give up the quad advantage instantly. If we look at Adam and Andrews first jumping pass, Adam’s 4T 2T is 13 points compared to Andrew 12 points for the sole 4T. Adam didn’t really gain anything with the extra 2T, but, now lost one of his combo opportunities, while Andrew still has his, after the first jumping element.

Anyways, I don’t want to get off topic. But, Andrew slayed and I loved his performance. Congrats to all the Americans who made it to Worlds. Congrats!
Also, love that the 4CC is completely different. There are six men that get a chance to compete.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I hate the 2T with passion. Anna S. was the mastermind of maximizing potential points. She showed how you could go for a quad and eliminate all doubles from the program. She did it with one ultra-c element due to her clever loop combos. Everything after the first quad was just triples. If you see a 2T, that means you are leaving points off the table. This was before they rewarded points for 2A sequences. The guys have more variety of quads and a triple axel to play around with. It should be even easier for them than the girls. Whenever a jump is well landed, an athlete should add on the 3T or go for a 2A sequence. If a jump is landed iffy, they even have the eu to 3S as a back up. A 4T 2T means you give up the quad advantage instantly. If we look at Adam and Andrews first jumping pass, Adam’s 4T 2T is 13 points compared to Andrew 12 points for the sole 4T. Adam didn’t really gain anything with the extra 2T, but, now lost one of his combo opportunities, while Adam still has his, after the first jumping element.
Look, i am going to leave you with your hate of the 2t. Adam planned a 3t. You cannot compare his rough 4t2t to a beautiful 4t in terms of score and of course, compare scores from such different events... No need to dwell on this. Guys are taller and heavier and getting the second jump might be tougher for some of them. Doing the quads at first and then the triple combos in the second half can lead to disastrous events..look what happened to frangipani. He went for a very basic 3teu3s and it failed him... I will end with this : every skater has their own skills...some can add 3t to pretty much anything while others have very big jumps that will be tricky to combo with.... some are good with the eu...others are good with the axel sequence...

If you want to examine one layout that puzzled me : levito doing 3lz 3loop and the a solo 3t. Goe wise, i am mot convinced...

Last edited:

DancingCactus

Final Flight
I'm scratching my head a bit about the 4CC men. Surely they should at least send one of the top 3 men to the event? Since the Japanese won't send their A team, wouldn't that be a nice opportunity for Malinin to collect experience and perhaps medal? I understand Jason doesn't want to go but is Malinin really at a point in his career where he should opt out of this?
It's even more baffling considering the competition is on home soil...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm scratching my head a bit about the 4CC men. Surely they should at least send one of the top 3 men to the event? Since the Japanese won't send their A team, wouldn't that be a nice opportunity for Malinin to collect experience and perhaps medal? I understand Jason doesn't want to go but is Malinin really at a point in his career where he should opt out of this?
It's even more baffling considering the competition is on home soil...
apparently both Jason and Ilia are performing in a show and have a time conflict.. It is unfortunate really... Andrew cannot go either because of the minimums so it's an interesting situation. Canada is sending its A team but yeah... not to be dismissive about our Canadian men, but I don't think they will threaten for medals this year, unless Keegan skates with a bit less emotions than what he did when performing in Canada.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #7 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I don't understand why the USF split their men for 4CC and WC, but not women, can anyone explain? :scratch2:
Well, 4CC looks like a walk in the park for the Japanese men, unfortunately. It seems there's no strong competition out there, sans Keegan and Cha. It'll depend on whether Torgashev and the less consistent Canadian men deliver, same for Jin.
WC is going to be a meat grinder compared to 4CC.

readernick

Medalist
I don't understand why the USF split their men for 4CC and WC, but not women, can anyone explain? :scratch2:
Well, 4CC looks like a walk in the park for the Japanese men, unfortunately. It seems there's no strong competition out there, sans Keegan and Cha. It'll depend on whether Torgashev and the less consistent Canadian men deliver, same for Jin.
WC is going to be a meat grinder compared to 4CC.
Jason Brown and Malinin have already committed to shows. This is also true for Alexa/ Brandon so the gold should be a walk in the park for Rika and Ryuichi. Torgashev doesn't have the minimums. So, the USFS didn't really have a choice. But, I am happy that the Japanese men who are being sent to 4CC will likely be able to medal. And, I think it is nice that the talented but inconsistent US men's skaters still have another competition.