USFS names World, JW, & 4CCs team | Page 5 | Golden Skate

USFS names World, JW, & 4CCs team

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Japan and Korea have loads of competitive singles skaters. There are other Asian countries under-represented, including IND PHI and TPE. China is sending two men but no woman. Hong Kong sends 3 women but only one man.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Japan and Korea have loads of competitive singles skaters. There are other Asian countries under-represented, including IND PHI and TPE. China is sending two men but no woman. Hong Kong sends 3 women but only one man.
Do the under-represented countries have skaters that they could send, but chose not to? Or do they just have less than 3 (per event) eligible skaters/teams?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMO, 2023 4CC has a disadvantage other than not being in Asia: It's at altitude. Skaters who live and train at sea level will have a huge stamina problem, particularly in the FS. Note that Kazakhstan is sending 3 men, 3 women and a dance team; Almaty is 3000 feet above sea level.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
IMO, 2023 4CC has a disadvantage other than not being in Asia: It's at altitude. Skaters who live and train at sea level will have a huge stamina problem, particularly in the FS. Note that Kazakhstan is sending 3 men, 3 women and a dance team; Almaty is 3000 feet above sea level.
Aren't they in luck then? Why so negative? I'm not. I'm looking forward to the 4 Continents! Wherever it is. And if it's a great place for the Kazachstani? Good luck to them!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I could not go to Colorado Springs to watch 4CC because the altitude would affect me so badly I couldn't enjoy the event. I used to enjoy the skating at Lake Placid, but struggled with the climb up the hill to the arena. And Lake Placid is at less than 2000 feet, not 5000+.

I have watched many Colorado Springs competitions, and have seen skaters need medical attention because of the effects of altitude on athletes who are not used to it.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I could not go to Colorado Springs to watch 4CC because the altitude would affect me so badly I couldn't enjoy the event. I used to enjoy the skating at Lake Placid, but struggled with the climb up the hill to the arena. And Lake Placid is at less than 2000 feet, not 5000+.

I have watched many Colorado Springs competitions, and have seen skaters need medical attention because of the effects of altitude on athletes who are not used to it.
I am sorry @chuckm, I thought you made the remark because you thought the Kazachstani had an unfair advantage, whilst I was happy for them to have an advantage for once and not unfair at all. My apologies.

Magill

Record Breaker
I am sorry @chuckm, I thought you made the remark because you thought the Kazachstani had an unfair advantage, whilst I was happy for them to have an advantage for once and not unfair at all. My apologies.
But actually isn't it, in fact, an unfair advantage given to those who were able to train there (there is a training center there, isn't it?) and, incidentally, to the other few training/living in similar altitudes? I mean, I'd rather see international competitions held in less extreme conditions, aiming for equal opportunities for all and giving no advantages / disadvantages to anyone just because of extreme locations? That should be a rule, shouldn't it?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I agree. Starr had all the momentum heading into Nationals and probably would have won the Bronze if she had skated her LP like she did in Canada. Amber worked hard to get on the team after some BIG disappointments. There isn't a lady on the team that should be passed over for Starr.
While I mostly agree, I also wouldn't mind seeing the USFSA split up these assignments to give more skaters opportunities to compete at big events. Japan sometimes splits their assignments between skaters (i.e. 2018 Kaori getting Olympics and Wakaba getting Worlds) and it's nice seeing the skaters left off the major assignment making the most of the second chance like Wakaba did.

mrrice

Record Breaker
While I mostly agree, I also wouldn't mind seeing the USFSA split up these assignments to give more skaters opportunities to compete at big events. Japan sometimes splits their assignments between skaters (i.e. 2018 Kaori getting Olympics and Wakaba getting Worlds) and it's nice seeing the skaters left off the major assignment making the most of the second chance like Wakaba did.
I agree. I'm actually surprised that Starr wasn't given a spot on the 4CC Team. They sent Caroline Zhang in 2012 and she was the Pewter Medalist that year.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But actually isn't it, in fact, an unfair advantage given to those who were able to train there (there is a training center there, isn't it?) and, incidentally, to the other few training/living in similar altitudes? I mean, I'd rather see international competitions held in less extreme conditions, aiming for equal opportunities for all and giving no advantages / disadvantages to anyone just because of extreme locations? That should be a rule, shouldn't it?
Often, athletes will have training camps in other similar locations and/or will arrive earlier on site to get accustomed. Yes, it is an advantage being used to the conditions (and there are other factors like time difference, size of rink, etc) but I don't think it will change the performance of the athletes that much... They may work harder and be more tired at the end of the LP, sure. Competitions at high altitude happen every year in various sports. It's a challenge but I wouldn't consider it an unfair advantage : skaters know far ahead of time they will be facing the conditions and the conditions are the same for everyone there. To label it as an unfair advantage, it would need for the KAZ athletes to suddenly have much better results at 4CC than ever... I doubt we will see them rise up dramatically in the rankings.

Magill

Record Breaker
Often, athletes will have training camps in other similar locations and/or will arrive earlier on site to get accustomed. Yes, it is an advantage being used to the conditions (and there are other factors like time difference, size of rink, etc) but I don't think it will change the performance of the athletes that much... They may work harder and be more tired at the end of the LP, sure. Competitions at high altitude happen every year in various sports. It's a challenge but I wouldn't consider it an unfair advantage : skaters know far ahead of time they will be facing the conditions and the conditions are the same for everyone there. To label it as an unfair advantage, it would need for the KAZ athletes to suddenly have much better results at 4CC than ever... I doubt we will see them rise up dramatically in the rankings.
Ah, I think I would worry more for possible underperformances which might not have happened otherwise. I also think it is different for skiers or ski jumpers, where handling altitude might be considered a part of the sport, than for skaters. I mean, I do not think it a terrible, terrible thing, rather something that should be avoided if possible, but is it really necessary to hold comps so high?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, this seems like a topic for another thread.

Skaters know that Colorado Springs is at high altitude and they know the effects (I heard a skater mention it recently in an interview, I wish I could remember which one).

They arrive early, they acclimate, they train at high altitudes otherwise, whatever. They all face the same conditions :scratch2:

Also, I have never ever understood “4CC is less prestigious“, but then again I follow the men. It would be an exceedingly difficult argument to make at any time in the last eight years that Europeans had a stronger men’s field than 4CC :shrug:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Ah, I think I would worry more for possible underperformances which might not have happened otherwise. I also think it is different for skiers or ski jumpers, where handling altitude might be considered a part of the sport, than for skaters. I mean, I do not think it a terrible, terrible thing, rather something that should be avoided if possible, but is it really necessary to hold comps so high?
Athletes are prepared for it. I do not think it would be a positive thing to prohibit such venues.

Last edited:

Kris135

On the Ice
The Final members for the Junior worlds team.
Women
Josephine Lee.
Soho Lee.
Clare Seo
Alternate 1. Ava Ziegler
2. Mia Kalin
3. Elyce Lin Gracey
Men
Lucas Broussard
Daniel Martynov
Robert Yampolsky
Alternate 1. Micheal Xie
2. Jacob Sanchez
3. Joseph Klein
So what are your thoughts on this. Mostly correct but I am surprised that Ava was not selected. I am very happy that Daniel is getting a chance to show what he can do internationally for the first time

mrrice

Record Breaker
Athletes are prepared for it. I do not think it would be a positive thing to prohibit such venues.
Yes they are and, it's a good thing because you definitely get altitude sickness if you don't arrive early. It's so beautiful up there but, for skaters that train at sea level, it takes a few days.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pretty sad when the US can't even send their best skaters to a 4CC that's on home ice. No excuses about traveling this time but i guess they couldn't even be bothered. Jason is understandable but Ilia especially needs the experience and keep building his reputation but would rather skate in a ice show?