USFS names World, JW, & 4CCs team | Page 6 | Golden Skate

USFS names World, JW, & 4CCs team

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Pretty sad when the US can't even send their best skaters to a 4CC that's on home ice. No excuses about traveling this time but i guess they couldn't even be bothered. Jason is understandable but Ilia especially needs the experience and keep building his reputation but would rather skate in a ice show?
"The US" does not hold a gun to its skaters' heads and force them to compete. Why would Ilia not want to go to 4CC? Well, we can speculate on any number of reasons:
--he didn't feel that 4CC was important enough to his competitive career right now
--he was afraid that he could lose to one of the Japanese men, and tarnish his reputation going into Worlds
--he preferred to earn money at the ice show
--he thinks ice show/honing performance skills is more important to his skating vs another opportunity to jump quads
--his parents made him do the show
--etc etc.

At least some (all?) of these reasons are incorrect, and those of us in the cheap seats just don't know. It's really Ilia's business, and between him and the USFS.

I prefer to focus on the positive, which is that some other worthy US men are getting their chance to do post-Nationals competition. Maxim, Jimmy, and Liam are not chopped liver, and if they skate what they're capable of, will place well and earn themselves some valuable WS points.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Jacob Sanchez! Only second alternate and not on the team 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡
I figured Broussard and Martynov were locks for JW team. I'm speculating that Yampolsky may have done better than Sanchez at the post-nationals junior camp. Also, Yampolsky has a more reliable triple axel; whereas I think Sanchez' is still a work in progress. Successfully landing the triple axel is usually the distinguishing element for obtaining high placement results at Junior Worlds mens competition.

I am baffled that Sanchez was not named first alternate vs Xie. Maybe something very interesting happened at the camp.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I figured Broussard and Martynov were locks for JW team. I'm speculating that Yampolsky may have done better than Sanchez at the post-nationals junior camp. Also, Yampolsky has a more reliable triple axel; whereas I think Sanchez' is still a work in progress. Successfully landing the triple axel is usually the distinguishing element for obtaining high placement results at Junior Worlds mens competition.

I am baffled that Sanchez was not named first alternate vs Xie. Maybe something very interesting happened at the camp.

Did you mean that Broussard and Yampolsky were locks? Both made the JGPF the past season, Martynov did not. I think Martynov is the "third" choice.

Jumping off, I consider myself one of Jacob's biggest fans and would have loved to have seen him at Worlds, but I can't quibble. His past two seasons have not been great ones, and having the skates of your life at Nats does not guarantee a spot. Xie has not been all that consistent, but has shown a tad more.

I am just thrilled Joe Klein was named at all. :)

noskates

Record Breaker
You can look at this another way and think that USFSA is giving some up and comers the opportunity to compete internationally. This IS a building year and many of these skaters have little or no experience skating against skaters from other countries. That's how I'M looking at the 4 Continent attendees. As for Ilia, maybe he needs the money for training! I don't think we should question his decision and I also vehemently don't think he feels he's too good to compete at 4CCs or that he's afraid he'll tarnish his reputation. That's kind of unfair when we don't really know the particulars. Also, I think the USFSA is in the process of deciding who is going to compete on the Gran Prix schedule. I doubt Jason will (but I don't know obviously) Ilia can only go to two, Camden and Jimmy Ma are a crapshoot with their inconsistencies, and it's time to let some of the younger skaters get a chance. Just my uneducated opinions probably unpopular at that.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
You can look at this another way and think that USFSA is giving some up and comers the opportunity to compete internationally. This IS a building year and many of these skaters have little or no experience skating against skaters from other countries. That's how I'M looking at the 4 Continent attendees. As for Ilia, maybe he needs the money for training! I don't think we should question his decision and I also vehemently don't think he feels he's too good to compete at 4CCs or that he's afraid he'll tarnish his reputation. That's kind of unfair when we don't really know the particulars. Also, I think the USFSA is in the process of deciding who is going to compete on the Gran Prix schedule. I doubt Jason will (but I don't know obviously) Ilia can only go to two, Camden and Jimmy Ma are a crapshoot with their inconsistencies, and it's time to let some of the younger skaters get a chance. Just my uneducated opinions probably unpopular at that.
One possibile factor in Ilia's skating show decision, that I haven't seen mentioned yet, is that he may have committed to the show before 4CC was moved from Australia to Colorado Springs. It would be a totally different choice if he thought 4CC would be in Australia!

On paper, USFS has no control over what skaters are sent to the GP events, except for Skate America. Assignments are determined by the hosts, with skater eligibility determined by results at Worlds, Season's Best Score, and World Standing. There could be some behind-the-scenes negociating with other host feds, but I would think that would be quite minimal.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Now we know why Ilia had to be at the show instead of 4CC--he is receiving an ISU award for Special Achievement for the quad axel. I'm sure USFS was aware of this.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
They’ve never heard of a live remote? In this day and age? ;)
Hardly the same impact. Actually, Ilia skated his exhibition solo, then Johnny Weir (host) and Denise Biellmann came out on ice to present to him. It wasn't clear to me if it was a surprise which is how it came off, or whether Ilia had been prewarned.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Did you mean that Broussard and Yampolsky were locks? Both made the JGPF the past season, Martynov did not. I think Martynov is the "third" choice.
No I meant Broussard and Martynov. Martynov on the basis of how he skated at Nationals in Senior Men, trending upward from his 8th place at Warsaw Cup Sr men. I think he was a strong choice for the JW team behind Broussard. But I don't think the choice of Yampolsky for the final slot required a lot of thought or discussion by USFS. Neither Martynov nor Yampolsky have an established track record of cleanish programs, but they have more technical potential if they have a good day. Broussard is simply in another league PCS-wise over them and most other junior men worldwide.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No I meant Broussard and Martynov. Martynov on the basis of how he skated at Nationals in Senior Men, trending upward from his 8th place at Warsaw Cup Sr men. I think he was a strong choice for the JW team behind Broussard. But I don't think the choice of Yampolsky for the final slot required a lot of thought or discussion by USFS. Neither Martynov nor Yampolsky have an established track record of cleanish programs, but they have more technical potential if they have a good day. Broussard is simply in another league PCS-wise over them and most other junior men worldwide.

Thanks for explaining, I did not see Daniel as a stronger candidate than Robert based on his Nats results. You clearly are more plugged into how USFS thinks than I am. :biggrin:

readernick

Medalist
Thanks for explaining, I did not see Daniel as a stronger candidate than Robert based on his Nats results. You clearly are more plugged into how USFS thinks than I am. :biggrin:
Me either. Daniel was the surprise for me not Robert, but perhaps I also don’t completely understand the selection procedures for juniors which aren’t as clearly laid out as seniors. Robert had good results at all his events this season with the exception of the JGPF ( but he made the final which is an accomplishment), and he medaled at nationals. I thought he clearly had the second strongest results in junior men. However, the USFS may indeed prioritize senior results even if those results don’t seem particularly impressive in terms of placements.