2023 Four Continents Men's Free Skate | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2023 Four Continents Men's Free Skate

Demandred

On the Ice
Keegan was absolutely incredible, best skate of the whole season for me. Great program and great performance. The trademark hydroblade at the end was the cherry on top. I am really happy for him that he finally got a medal from a major championship.

Kao Miura showed incredible poise to show so well after Keegan brought the house down.

Sato was also really good, the depth of the Japanese team in the singles event is incredible.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Had to catch up via YouTube this morning and Keegan's video was highlighted to me on tv. It did this with Haein the other day so I thought Keegan had won!

I think Keegan deserved to win the free skate (it was less than a point the other way), but happy he's happy with silver overall. Kao was superb but performance-wise I thought he's not quite as developed yet. Feels odd that Kao is heading for junior worlds soon - maybe he will aim to break some world records ;)

Sad to see Boyang collapse like that after his free skate. He's had covid twice and nobody wants their first competition back from surgery to be at altitude! His PCS is improving, I believe this coaching change will be positive for him. Plus, he said in his interview that he is hoping to continue to 2026 olympics!

Going to rewatch Keegan again, everything was just so heartwarming from the embrace with Jimmy right up to the scores reaction!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just watched on tape. Kao deserved to win. If I had been there, I would have been on my feet before he finished. His score was not “padded,” by the way. The scorer originally scored his 4T-3T as a 3T-3T. Keegan was great, too, and was rewarded in PCS, but he had two quads to Kao's three and some shaky landings on some of his other jumps. I’m pretty sure he is thrilled with his silver medal.

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Just watched on tape. Kao deserved to win. If I had been there, I would have been on my feet before he finished. His score was not “padded,” by the way. The scorer originally scored his 4T-3T as a 3T-3T. Keegan was great, too, and was rewarded in PCS, but he only had one quad and had some shaky landings on some of his other jumps. I’m pretty sure he is thrilled with his silver medal.
Correction. Keegan had two quads by the way, NOT one, and he landed both beautifully. 4T-2T and 4T.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I love me some Keegan as much as the next person, but I disagree that he deserved the win this time. I do agree that it was close, but over two programs, I call it for Miura.

Miura was ahead after the SP by 5 points. Miura's free skate in real time was underscored. I specifically saw the 4T-3T he did (wonderfully) and the tech box came up 3T-3T and wasn't adjusted upward until review during the Kiss & Cry. I don't think there was any "padding" going on. I also thought Miura's PCS was accurate relative to the scoring of Keegan and the other skaters. I thought the tech panel and judges called things fairly as they saw it in real time. A post-competition look at the protocols doesn't reveal anything outlandishly marked for either Kao or Keegan.

Your last two sentences are mind-boggling--in one fell swoop, you are explicitly stating that Keegan should have been given the win because he skated well and it's his final season, AND that the Japanese Fed is shady. I cannot agree with either of these points.
Agreed!

Keegan's skate was emotional and electrifying :love: and his PCS was 5.27 over Miura's for the FS. However, Miura had higher technical content -- all of which he executed well -- so his TES (102.02) reflected that. Overall, he edged Keegan out by a whisker (.76). I was disappointed for Keegan but can't quarrel with the results. Congrats to him for scoring 2 career bests; I may be a loyal Yank but can still make room in my heart to cheer him on at Worlds. ❤️

Also, much respect to Kao for staying so focused after hearing the explosion of cheers for Keegan. :bow: I can't imagine how difficult that must be. Wishing him well and looking forward to watching him develop!

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
His official bio says 5’5”. I say impossible. When I met him this summer I was looking down on him (I was at the boards, not sure if that is higher than the ice, but he was on the ice with skates on?). But I did not pull out my measuring stick. I can tell you he’s very small - short as well as very slender. Yes all figure skaters are slender but he’s very slender…well you saw the pictures.
Keegan is also stated as being 5'5 - and Jimmy is smaller than him.

icewhite

Record Breaker
One thing I've been wondering about: Are the Asian skaters more affected by altitude? Or is it just that some nations have arrived later/ not adjusted in time?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
One thing I've been wondering about: Are the Asian skaters more affected by altitude? Or is it just that some nations have arrived later/ not adjusted in time?
I think it’s probably arrival time. Chris managed to contribute the only relevant comment during the whole event, and that was about Shaidorov apparently getting to CS two hours before the SP (not that I trust anything Chris says….)