2023 World Figure Skating Championships Women's Free Skate | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2023 World Figure Skating Championships Women's Free Skate

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think I feel the worst for Bradie. She worked so incredibly hard to come back only to have it fall apart at the worst possible time. I am proud of Isabeau, yes she has her flaws but I love her detailed choreography , brightness and competitive nerve. Amber is Amber - often injured, full of talent, but unable to skate cleanly with any regularity. Not sure what else we can do about it given the current talent pool. I will root for them and hope someone rises up from the depths to seize an opportunity.
Very well put!!

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I'm trying to think of who could have saved the 3 US spots if we swapped out Amber or Bradie: I have yet to come up with a name. Sounds like the rules are working as they should. Hopefully this will light a fire under our women.
They should have sent Thorngren. Even if Lindsay have had a rough year (growing issues?) she is the best young skater US has to offer imo.
Amber is unreliable and she never completes her combos.

macy

Record Breaker
I'm trying to think of who could have saved the 3 US spots if we swapped out Amber or Bradie: I have yet to come up with a name. Sounds like the rules are working as they should. Hopefully this will light a fire under our women.
I think it will for Bradie especially as this is an incredibly low result for her.

That girl has the most grit in the entire women's field and she'll be back next year. This was a rebuilding season for her and she accomplished so much and has a lot to be proud of, but I know she's not going to be satisfied with herself or the fact her placement contributed to losing 3 spots.

She will do whatever she can to earn back that spot next year if she stays healthy.

Last edited:

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
Yes Bradie work hard to get where she is, however all skaters worked hard. Yes improvement from Injury and not skating for a year and half. Maybe too high expectations to be in top 10.maybe held up at nationals or expect due to Olympics team medalist. World decent but for 3spots competition from Japan, Korea, Belgium, Nina, Anastasia not taken into account? I don't know. I feel let down by Bradie. Let me think she could. Finish top ten despite injury and Year and a half off. Amber saddens me

macy

Record Breaker
Yes Bradie work hard to get where she is, however all skaters worked hard. Yes improvement from Injury and not skating for a year and half. Maybe too high expectations to be in top 10.maybe held up at nationals or expect due to Olympics team medalist. World decent but for 3spots competition from Japan, Korea, Belgium, Nina, Anastasia not taken into account? I don't know. I feel let down by Bradie. Let me think she could. Finish top ten despite injury and Year and a half off. Amber saddens me
This is quite dismissive of the severity of Bradies injury and the incredibly long road back she's had just to be able to compete again.

GGFan

Record Breaker
They should have sent Thorngren. Even if Lindsay have had a rough year (growing issues?) she is the best young skater US has to offer imo.
Amber is unreliable and she never completes her combos.
I wish that were the answer but Lindsay has yet to show signs of being a strong competitor. And that's part of the problem. Yes, we have women who can skate good programs in isolation but other than Isabeau they don't put it together on the biggest stages. That can all change of course.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Have not seen yet :-(
Hoping there will be some source soon where to rewatch....?
Do you have access to the ISU feed on YouTube? They've been posting complete replays and also a few segments of individual skaters.

Re: ISU on YT, I downloaded the Proton VPN from the Apple app store to access. Proton is also available for Android devices; it's been working like a charm for me!

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Why US skaters try not to combos later if somebody fails? I just read's Janna's interview and she says they have trained to get the failed ones done later it in practices.

Joekaz

On the Ice
I hope in the future the judges will be able to have stats like Ice Scope to combine technology and human input for a more accurate judging process. Comparing the speed of Kaori's 2A to the rest of the women shows just how fast she is; there's over a 10km difference from the average speed. Plus, Ice Scope shows things like ice coverage, jump placement, and average speed throughout the program, which are beneficial for PCS marking. Mr No-Grey-Hair Shiny New President, get working on it!
Plus they need to get stricter on excessive pre rotation and poor pick technique on jumps.

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
This is quite dismissive of the severity of Bradies injury and the incredibly long road back she's had just to be able to compete again.
It not dismissive or dissed. U was stating this year of how well her score was despite her injury including nationals. I am not going into of how other skaters scores are put down despite i jury
This is not dismissive of her injuries. I am not going into of how people are of other skaters and their injury,scores or propped up. U stated how well she skated all year despite injuries and her high score and how she delivered when mattered. She didn't today. She skated the way she did all season and received her deserved score. She did skate well for her injury. Did she feel she ready , yes. Natl being another matter.
The expectations for a top ten finish came with it through her years of experience. I am let down due to my faith in knowing she had done it before. Not dismissive, but sadden due me know she can pull it off. Today not the day

snd

On the Ice
i think bradie and amber did ok. not perfect but neither had a nightmare, either.

super happy for the 3 and 2 quotas for korea and estonia respectively. niina did her country proud!

yelim, tho :cry:

edit: i'd rather haein get the gold here but i can't say kaori's win was undeserved.

nicole deserves the top10 finish with the sakte of her life

Aklaus

Rinkside
some years ago the ISU changed the name of the game - from ladies to women.
Then the very young russian girls began to reign the discipline. 15 years old with bodies seemed to be not more than 12 years old.

The podims last year and today deserve to be called the womens podium. I really appreciate that.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I haven't seen any of the performances. However, I am very happy to see that Isabeau remained in her Pewter position. I don't know what to say about Bradie finishing outside the top ten. Is she feeling the effects of her injury? We're down to 2 spots and it doesn't bother me one bit. The rest of the US Ladies are going to have to step it up if they want to go to Worlds.

Last edited:

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
Also I added the other skater work hard to. Which u overlook and focus on Bradie. I didn't not say or notice her hard work. She did. I noticed other skaters hard work also that despite her hard work it showed. If I want to be dismissive of her skating. I would not say this way. All I stated was she work hard, . All skaters did. Her lack of competition show here. The competition fierce despite no Russian skaters. She did okay. She skated through injury before.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I expected Isabeau would wind up 3-5 and she came in 4th. I expected Amber middle of the pack and she was that. Bradie I thought 8-10 but she came in 15th. Shocked. But I'm sure not as shocked as Bradie.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
An important thing for the Americans is that they must learn to get all the jumps done when there is a mistake early.

Amber always have problems with this. There is always jumps left undone and points left on the table. I don't think Amber have completed all jumps in any competition this season.
And Isabeau fell on her first jump, the Lutz, which should have been in combination with a 3Loop. She had all the opportunities later to add a 2Loop or Toe but no.
Bradie also failed to do all the jumps today. But at least she tried, but in the end she didn't have any room left for additions.

I blame the coaches for this. There is clearly no plan B when mistakes happen. Bad coaching.

Last edited:

Joekaz

On the Ice
Probably still Kaori 😆 Pretty sure her average skating speed is higher than the likes of Shoma Uno, who's not a slow skater either by any means.
At Japanese Nationals usually Wakaba posts faster speeds than Kaori does. But, that might be top speed instead of average speed since Wakaba usually has more varied programs than Kaori who loves to speed around the ice.

macy

Record Breaker
It not dismissive or dissed. U was stating this year of how well her score was despite her injury including nationals. I am not going into of how other skaters scores are put down despite i jury

This is not dismissive of her injuries. I am not going into of how people are of other skaters and their injury,scores or propped up. U stated how well she skated all year despite injuries and her high score and how she delivered when mattered. She didn't today. She skated the way she did all season and received her deserved score. She did skate well for her injury. Did she feel she ready , yes. Natl being another matter.
The expectations for a top ten finish came with it through her years of experience. I am let down due to my faith in knowing she had done it before. Not dismissive, but sadden due me know she can pull it off. Today not the day
i didn't say anything about how well she did or did not skate or anything about her scores this season, i said she has a lot to be proud of because she has made consistent progress. is she at 100%? no, but she's on her way. it takes a lot of time to find your stride again and clearly the judges are making her earn her way back.

having an expectation for her to reach such a high placement despite being off the ice and out of competition for a year and a half, having to learn how to compete again under pressure and on the highest stage and get her technical arsenal back after not having it for so long is extremely unrealistic.

also, just because i only commented on Bradie does not mean i "overlooked" the other skaters. i haven't even been able to watch the event yet, only look at protocols.