Pairs FS Worldwide: The Divine Discipline | Page 29 | Golden Skate

Pairs FS Worldwide: The Divine Discipline

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There was discussion recently about Castelli/ Tran, who I always loved and wanted to see excel. But it was not to be. They did receive support from U.S. fed too, despite 2017 U.S. Nationals selection process seemingly ignoring them. That was probably due, in part, to the upcoming Olympic season and Tran not yet being eligible for the Olympics. As well, there were two successful new partnerships, and two, now legendary teams who were coming back from serious injury and illness. There's no question that C/T should have at least got a 4CCs assignment (which would have allowed Haven/ Brandon to regroup after their Nationals win, and more crucially, allow Haven to rest her knee before Worlds).

Of course, that's all water under the bridge now. The skaters have long since moved on with their lives, despite fans' memories and 'what ifs'. I'm not bringing this up for arguments, btw. I just want to post C/T's fabulous 2016 fabulous exhibition! 😍 Over six years hence, this video is still receiving oohs & ahs, and superlative commentary on YouTube. This is just another example of how badly the sport refuses to understand how YouTube could be used to help promote skaters and grow the sport's audience.

Mervin was such a great pairs partner: smooth, sexy, adeptly skilled, good-humored, and so cool. 😎 Teams today could get inspirations from some of C/T's moves in this program.

Last edited:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Reviving this thread to mention that Hase has partnered up with Nikita Volodin. This was announced back in June I believe but didn't see anyone post it here yet. I'm quite excited as I thought Volodin was quite a strong skater with his previous partners. This seems like a pair with serious potential. I'm excited for German pairs, especially with Hase/Volodin and Hocke/Kunkel seemingly improving each year. On that note, Lombardia Trophy looks really good for the pairs event. Hope nobody withdraws!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@s_parks, the Hase/Volodin partnership has definitely been talked about on GS, even before it was officially announced. Check the new partnerships thread. 👍

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
thank you, @Ruthypegs ! That's a great series. She got comments from a variety of skaters.

While I was there, I read her article featuring Ondrej Hotarek. Which was really great. He just has interesting ideas, and also interesting things to say about ideas that aren't really new.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wait this is a new partnership this year?! I had no idea because I’ve been checked out of pairs in recent years. I need to start watching regularly again.

Goldenskate interviewed this new pair if you are interested:

and the thread for discussing the interview:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hase/ Volodin were also charmingly interviewed on YT by Julie Wie (JulieWie_Talk), who was a huge fan of James/Ciprés. Julie was known for the wonderful montages she posted of J/C and some other skaters on YouTube. Julie's J/C montages were widely admired and brought new fans to J/C and to pairs figure skating. People still watch Julie Wie's montages and J/C's performance videos on YouTube.

Interview of H/V by Julie Wie:

Probably German Nationals:

I was immediately intrigued when I heard that Volodin & Hase were pairing. I liked the possibilities even before I first saw them. When I did see them at their first Challenger comp this season, I was not disappointed. They have a matching physicality, good skating skills, excellent harmony for a new team, and nice lines. Volodin definitely elevates Hase in terms of his technical and skating skills strengths as a Russian skater born and trained. Hase looks like a different skater with Volodin. The interviews show that they have equal charm and an easy camaraderie. Plus, they are both enthusiastic about figure skating and their partnership.

Sure, they still have a lot to work on, including consistency and developing more of a unique persona, but they are off to a good start. There's no denying either that they are patterning some of their moves, program layout, music choices, and costuming after James/Ciprés at their best. Not surprising, as many pairs teams have tried to emulate aspects of what worked so well for J/C in their final three seasons, especially the melding of ice dance moves and rhythms with pairs elements.

I do not want to get my hopes up too high about H/V, but they look good together and the J/C emulation really works well on them, as they seemingly are backing it up with some potentially exciting je ne sais quoi of their very own. 😉 Certainly, the judges already appear to really like them.

Weathergal

Medalist
Hase/ Volodin were also charmingly interviewed on YT by Julie Wie (JulieWie_Talk), who was a huge fan of James/Ciprés. Julie was known for the wonderful montages she posted of J/C and some other skaters on YouTube. Julie's J/C montages were widely admired and brought new fans to J/C and to pairs figure skating. People still watch Julie Wie's montages and J/C's performance videos on YouTube.

Interview of H/V by Julie Wie:

Probably German Nationals:

I was immediately intrigued when I heard that Volodin & Hase were pairing. I liked the possibilities even before I first saw them. When I did see them at their first Challenger comp this season, I was not disappointed. They have a matching physicality, good skating skills, excellent harmony for a new team, and nice lines. Volodin definitely elevates Hase in terms of his technical and skating skills strengths as a Russian skater born and trained. Hase looks like a different skater with Volodin. The interviews show that they have equal charm and an easy camaraderie. Plus, they are both enthusiastic about figure skating and their partnership.

Sure, they still have a lot to work on, including consistency and developing more of a unique persona, but they are off to a good start. There's no denying either that they are patterning some of their moves, program layout, music choices, and costuming after James/Ciprés at their best. Not surprising, as many pairs teams have tried to emulate aspects of what worked so well for J/C in their final three seasons, especially the melding of ice dance moves and rhythms with pairs elements.

I do not want to get my hopes up too high about H/V, but they look good together and the J/C emulation really works well on them, as they seemingly are backing it up with some potentially exciting je ne sais quoi of their very own. 😉 Certainly, the judges already appear to really like them.
I don't see anything in Hase / Volodin's skating that points to James / Cipres. As far as incorporating ice dance elements into pairs, I think there are other teams that have been successful at that as well. That is not to take anything away from either team. I'm just not getting that vibe at all. But agree to disagree.

As far as the interviews go, I definitely second - or I guess it's "third" -- the recommendation to check out the Golden Skate interview with Hase / Volodin. It was interesting and very well done.

Also @WittGrittnGrace(y) another new interesting pairing to check out is Canada's Lia Pereira / Trennt Michaud. They got together last season. Here's a link to a Golden Skate article on them: https://www.goldenskate.com/pereira-and-michaud-climb-rankings-in-season-debut/

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Both the Golden Skate interview and the Julie Wie interview are quite wonderful! Because the subjects of both interviews, H/V, are so charming and engaging. 🥰 In the Julie Wie interview (which took place after Nebelhorn Trophy), we learn additional details about how Hase/ Volodin became a team; how they chose their music; what their tryout was like, etc. It's a nice complement to the GS interview, which covers similar topics.

The influence I see that James/Ciprés have had in terms of music, moves, program layout, and costumes, has been notable. It is not unusual for a top winning team who break new ground to be emulated. That's how it rolls in every figure skating discipline. How I see it, is how I see it, whether or not anyone else agrees. It is what it is. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Obviously, there have been a number of exciting, influential teams in pairs over the years. The cross-fertilization between ice dance and pairs has been quite exciting in recent years. A lot of this excitement and energy has been down to the work of ice dancers turned choreographers, including: John & Sinead Kerr; Christopher Dean; Charlie White; Guillaume Cizeron; and Shae Lynn Bourne. This season Kaitlyn Weaver has created some wonderful choreo for ice dancers and singles skaters that I'm aware of. I don't know if she's yet done work in pairs, maybe so.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Another very exciting pairs team this season, who have been partnered for a few years now, is Deanna Stellato/ Maxime Deschamps who also rep Canada.

Peng/Wang of China are a new team who also look good together, but are still developing advanced elements. Their choreographer, Lori Nichol, creatively revived The Sorcerer's Apprentice music for them. The last (maybe first) time it was done for a pairs team was at 1997 U.S. Nationals (their second season performing it): Stephanie Stiegler/ John Zimmerman, with choreo by Peter Oppegard. It's the kind of storytelling sorely missed and hard to find in pairs and in fs in general.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Stephanie Stiegler and John Zimmerman had an unusually intense sp that same 1997 season. Even despite the slips on footwork, they were pretty amazing, cuz that looks like a crazy difficult program. 😳🌪They were a promising team. But sadly, Stephanie soon afterward broke her arm, and John decided to move on. He partnered with Kyoko Ina. Although, John and Kyoko did not get along very well off the ice, they managed to put their differences aside to build a successful career. They were eventually trained by Tamara Moskvina, guys. 👀👍

Ina/ Zimmerman were the last U.S. pairs team to medal at Worlds, in 2002 (bronze), prior to Knierim/ Frazier winning Worlds in 2022. I would caution everyone to realize that it was not a 20-year drought, but an 18-year podium drought for U.S. pairs. Why? Because you don't count the years 2002 and 2022 when medals were won. Plus, you can't count 2020 either, for obvious reasons. 🫣 Thus, U.S. pairs matches the Canadian pairs podium drought record of 18 years (1965 - 1982), a span during which U.S. pairs teams managed to get on the podium; it was the burgeoning days of Russian pairs dominance.

meem

On the Ice
That was a wonderful LP. The storytelling held your attention until that final, dramatic ending. Is Lori Nichols doing choreography for any American skaters?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That was a wonderful LP. The storytelling held your attention until that final, dramatic ending. Is Lori Nichols doing choreography for any American skaters?
Lori revised The Sorcerer's Apprentice for Peng/Wang's sp this season, not their fp.

It was Peter Oppegard who originally and very creatively choreographed The Sorcerer's Apprentice for Stiegler/ Zimmerman's 1997 fp. Of course, the rules and the scoring system were different at that time. There was more time to invest in telling a story. Still, Lori did a very good job with her updated sp effort for P/W. There is a role reversal, with the more experienced skater, Peng, as The Sorceress, which is an appealing twist.

It would be nice if Lori would accept an offer to choreograph for some U.S. pairs teams. But the offer has to be made first. Lori has been choreographing for Chinese pairs teams for quite awhile. I believe she has also worked with Chinese singles skater, Boyang Jin, in addition to choreographing for Japanese singles skaters.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Elliana & Ethan Peal (U.S. junior ice dancers) have a podcast on YouTube. They recently posted an interview they had with U.S. junior pairs skaters, Olivia Flores and Luke Wang:

Last edited:

skatingguy

On the Ice
Does anyone recognize this ice dance team?

Is that a trick question, because those are neither dancers, nor are they on ice?

Senior Pairs Long Program - 1st position - Rebecca Tarlazzi and Luca Lucaroni (Italy)​

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Is that a trick question, because those are neither dancers, nor are they on ice?

Senior Pairs Long Program - 1st position - Rebecca Tarlazzi and Luca Lucaroni (Italy)​

Why do you think me asking is somehow a trick question? I don't recognize the duo. The clip appeared on the 'social dancing' IG, which includes numerous video clips of ice dancers. In the clip, it was certainly not clear to me that this duo were roller skating, and they aren't identified in the post. Plus, this IG has misidentified twice Flores/ Desyatov as being from Canada. 🤦‍♀️

It looks like a cool routine, and I thought someone here would be able to help identify the duo. Thanks for doing so, without any 'tricky' intent.

skatingguy

On the Ice
Why do you think me asking is somehow a trick question? I don't recognize the duo. The clip appeared on the 'social dancing' IG, which includes numerous video clips of ice dancers. In the clip, it was certainly not clear to me that this duo were roller skating, and they aren't identified in the post. Plus, this IG has misidentified twice Flores/ Desyatov as being from Canada. 🤦‍♀️

It looks like a cool routine, and I thought someone here would be able to help identify the duo. Thanks for doing so, without any 'tricky' intent.
Okay. I wasn't sure because you can see their feet in the clip, and that they are wearing roller skates not ice skates, and that they are on a floor, and not on ice. I thought I was missing something, hence the asking about a trick question.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Pairs is sadly not looking so divine right now. The Germans are probably the faves to win the World title. they have done a great job in getting together so fast. But to be objective they are not the best technicians. They are not overly unique? They are not overly charismatic or artistic? They don't have huge amplitude on elements like the Chinese and Russians of yester year. Alexa and Brandon didn't have the levels or artistry of Sui and Han or even Tarasova and Morozov let alone the younger Russians. nothing overly exciting unless yuo are Germany and thrilled they have a team looking for gold. I just don't see the bigger tricks or the amplitude or perfection or artistry of great pairs team with the Germans or the Canadians. Japan maybe but even then they are a huge step down from the greats. This is a wonderful time to steal a gold medal for some mediocre team.