Pairs FS Worldwide: The Divine Discipline | Page 31 | Golden Skate

Pairs FS Worldwide: The Divine Discipline

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I find it fascinating too that Savin and Eteri both spent time in the U.S., and learned things that they took back to Russia with them to add to their own methods and approaches to coaching. It is so true that learning from other cultures can expand one's growth. In Savin's case, he's clearly very savvy too and he loves challenges.
They spent time there in the 90s trying to make their living. 90s in Russia was a horror show of food insecurity, unemployment and complete hopelessness with mafia sinking its claws into everything, ripoingveverything apart. Everyone who could leave, did. When things improved, people who didn’t settle abroad, went back.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I forgot I had their 2016 World programs (SP & LP) on Youtube. The sp was coreographed by an Italian ice dancer. The construction of both programs is different than what you usually see in roller skating and resembles ice skating very much. They were just in a league of their own.
EDIT to add: in the LP they had perfect sbs 3 salchows 3minutes into their programs... Insane!!!
Sad to discover I couldn't watch the programs. Youtube says they're private and were unavailable to me. (I'll try searching directly with their names and see if I can sneak a look that way.)

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I wouldn't rush to anoint H/V as World champions just yet. They may have a good chance at Euros, but that's not a given either.
LOL! I actually hate that this turned out to be the case, at least regarding Euros. 🙁 Minnie & Nik had a good chance to win Euros, but they are coalescing as a team right now, and learning how to perform together under pressure situations. To me, they remain the class of the field and should still be among the top contending teams for Worlds. Metelkina/ Berulava have looked confident and solid cleaning up with 30 pt margins against teenagers all season. But when confronted with senior peer pressure and close sp numbers, they blinked. I'm happy for Lucrezia & Matteo unexpectedly winning, as they are developing to be the top flight Italian pair team.

It's interesting that those who care so much about age gaps have not piled on Luz/Matt's partnership (19/35). There are quite a number of partner age gaps in pairs generally, not just among the U.S. teams who have too often been critiqued (e.g., the new Czech team: Kucianova, 16/ Bidar, 25 on Feb 24). I don't think any team should be chastised and complained about for their age differences. There should just be across-the-board awareness training, regardless of age, regardless of anyone's gender, or the discipline in which they compete.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

The above, I happily discovered in my YouTube feed. I hope it plays for you @Diana Delafield. 😊 It's their full program. Quite amazing. 😍 Many commenters are surprised to see a roller skating duo competing in a similar fashion to on the ice pairs skaters. Even the white floor of the arena resembles frozen ice, at least on video. Another commenter hopes that this duo can help raise roller skating's visibility and popularity.

Huge crowds are in the stands I noticed. This is unlike figure skating comps in venues other than Asia & Russia.

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

The above, I happily discovered in my YouTube feed. I hope it plays for you @Diana Delafield. 😊 It's their full program. Quite amazing. 😍 Many commenters are surprised to see a roller skating duo competing in a similar fashion to on the ice pairs skaters. Even the white floor of the arena resembles frozen ice, at least on video. Another commenter hopes that this duo can help raise roller skating's visibility and popularity.

Huge crowds are in the stands I noticed. This is unlike figure skating comps in venues other than Asia & Russia.
:thank:Yes, I was able to play this and it was gorgeous! Their multi-position lifts are spectacular, and I saw one pairs spin towards the end that I want to watch again and make notes on, to get my partner to try it on the ice. If I were a few decades younger, I'd be out shopping for roller boots and wheels and going for a Deanna-type personal renaissance in a new sport. I think it's too late for that, though 😉.

You're right about that particular venue looking much better than the one with all the signs and odd wall panels. This whole set-up looked like any big competition on ice (but what a pity they had to do their own floor clearing of toys and flowers afterwards, when they must have been exhausted and exhilarated).

Anyway, a new sport for me to watch even if I'll probably never get to try it. There are roller rinks here where I live, but not clubs and competitions that I know of. :coffee::popcorn::hap10:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
In the U.S., the most I'm familiar with are roller rinks where people roller around the rink to music. Also, Brandon Frazier and his former partner, Haven Denney, grew up together competing as a roller skating duo prior to switching to pairs figure skating.

High level competitive roller skating is apparently more popular in Europe, especially Italy, than in the rest of the world. However, it seemingly would gain in popularity if it was promoted and introduced to more potential viewers/ fans.

Sk8swan

On the Ice
:thank:Yes, I was able to play this and it was gorgeous! Their multi-position lifts are spectacular, and I saw one pairs spin towards the end that I want to watch again and make notes on, to get my partner to try it on the ice. If I were a few decades younger, I'd be out shopping for roller boots and wheels and going for a Deanna-type personal renaissance in a new sport. I think it's too late for that, though 😉.

You're right about that particular venue looking much better than the one with all the signs and odd wall panels. This whole set-up looked like any big competition on ice (but what a pity they had to do their own floor clearing of toys and flowers afterwards, when they must have been exhausted and exhilarated).

Anyway, a new sport for me to watch even if I'll probably never get to try it. There are roller rinks here where I live, but not clubs and competitions that I know of. :coffee::popcorn::hap10:
Sorry, I changed the settings, now you should be able to watch (I hope! 😅) 2016 Worlds SP & LP
The video you managed to watch is from World Games. Those are basically the Olympics for non Olympic sports, taking place every 4 yrs.
The video with small and not good looking rink was just Italian Nationals 😉
EDIT: My fault, this video is not from World Games but from World Championships.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I can't imagine how either ice dancers or roller skaters manage to do what they do! It does seem that the roller skaters have to apply more effort and control to achieve ice dancey feats though, because they aren't being helped by the speed of blade on ice. Seemingly, there is greater friction and awkwardness of roller wheels against the floor, so the athletes must be using a variety of muscles. On the other hand, ice skaters have to be very soft and flexible in their knees and lean into the ice in order to take full advantage of the flow of blade on ice.

It would be fun to talk with Matteo Guarise about his championship experience in both sports! I wonder what were the most difficult adjustments he had to make when he first switched to fs? 🤔☺️

Sk8swan

On the Ice
I can't imagine how either ice dancers or roller skaters manage to do what they do! It does seem that the roller skaters have to apply more effort and control to achieve ice dancey feats though, because they aren't being helped by the speed of blade on ice. Seemingly, there is greater friction and awkwardness of roller wheels against the floor, so the athletes must be using a variety of muscles. On the other hand, ice skaters have to be very soft and flexible in their knees and lean into the ice in order to take full advantage of the flow of blade on ice.

It would be fun to talk with Matteo Guarise about his championship experience in both sports! I wonder what were the most difficult adjustments he had to make when he first switched to fs? 🤔☺️

He would tell you the most difficult thing was learning how to use ice skates, with proper edges and knee bent. Then of course he had to adjust his technique on solo jumps (you can still see a bit of the roller skating technique on his axel :wink:). I think the salchow was the most difficult for him to learn: he could do it on rollers but the technique is so different. As for pair elements he had already mastered them on the floor, I'm sure the lifts were easier for him because you don't have to do so many changes of positions like in roller skating.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
He would tell you the most difficult thing was learning how to use ice skates, with proper edges and knee bent. Then of course he had to adjust his technique on solo jumps (you can still see a bit of the roller skating technique on his axel :wink:). I think the salchow was the most difficult for him to learn: he could do it on rollers but the technique is so different. As for pair elements he had already mastered them on the floor, I'm sure the lifts were easier for him because you don't have to do so many changes of positions like in roller skating.
Thanks. I would want to hear it from Matteo's own perspective though, and in his own words, with his delicious accent. 😋 🫠🫦😉

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
And if you enjoyed... this is the short program, beautiful as well! :wink:
These two were SO talented that they managed to be multi-world pair champions AND world champions in women and men singles respectively!
Oh, I did enjoy!
I had no idea that roller skating evolved into a sport so similar to figure skating. I mean, of course I knew it was similar but not that similar :love:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Sorry, I changed the settings, now you should be able to watch (I hope! 😅) 2016 Worlds SP & LP
The video you managed to watch is from World Games. Those are basically the Olympics for non Olympic sports, taking place every 4 yrs.
The video with small and not good looking rink was just Italian Nationals 😉
EDIT: My fault, this video is not from World Games but from World Championships.
Yes, that worked! I find I don't even look at their feet to notice if those are blades or wheels, and apart from the announcer saying, "Now, on the floor,..." you'd think it was a competition on ice. They would have been world champions on the ice as well if they'd ever switched sports.

I investigated "artistic roller skating in Richmond, BC" last night out of curiosity, and thought I'd found a rink and a club/school here, but then noticed there were no updates on the website after February 2023. I have a feeling it may have folded. But I'd forwarded these videos of the Italians to my partner to watch and we're really tempted to try it, in a beginner-ish way, if we can find a coach. I hadn't noticed before that the skate shop we both use also sells wheels. Oh, it is SO tempting!

Sk8swan

On the Ice
Yes, that worked! I find I don't even look at their feet to notice if those are blades or wheels, and apart from the announcer saying, "Now, on the floor,..." you'd think it was a competition on ice. They would have been world champions on the ice as well if they'd ever switched sports.

I investigated "artistic roller skating in Richmond, BC" last night out of curiosity, and thought I'd found a rink and a club/school here, but then noticed there were no updates on the website after February 2023. I have a feeling it may have folded. But I'd forwarded these videos of the Italians to my partner to watch and we're really tempted to try it, in a beginner-ish way, if we can find a coach. I hadn't noticed before that the skate shop we both use also sells wheels. Oh, it is SO tempting!
Amazing! :D
And yes, I agree with you, they would have done wonders on the ice as well, with lighter skates on their feet!
I see some members here are getting interested in artistic roller skating, I might start a thread and share some videos and thoughts about it :wink: I just have to understand what would be the proper section of the forum to start such a topic...

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I might start a thread and share some videos and thoughts about it :wink: I just have to understand what would be the proper section of the forum to start such a topic...
I would suggest you to start it in the Edge. Then, if admins find that another section is more appropriate, they can simply move the thread.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
That would be Le Cafe.
Does anyone ever visit Le Cafe? :scratch2:

Then on the other hand, if you start a topic in Le Cafe, you can keep it running for years since it is not a busy subforum.
If you start a topic in The Edge, let's say a cross-discipline topic called Similarities and Differences Between Figure Skating and Roller Skating, it will probably be a hot topic for a little while and then go to the archives.
Any option has its strong sides and weak sides :)