Yuzuru Hanyu: I still have too many shortcomings (Interview) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: I still have too many shortcomings (Interview)

doctor2014

On the Ice
But I am very uncertain about David Wilson. I hope he will not be in charge of Hanyu's long program next season. Short program, maybe. But long? Please choose somebody else. I wonder if Hanyu himself knows that lots of people are criticizing his free skate choreography.
This has been discussed many times. In 2012-2013 season people did not like Hanyu's Notre Dame long program choreographed by David Wilson. At the beginning of this past season some wished Hanyu could get other choreographers instead of Wilson. I also saw posters at other forum who think Fernandez should dump Wilson because his SP is terrible.

But Wilson is Orser's long-time business partner, so no matter how many people don't like the programs he choreographed for Hanyu, chances are he'll choreograph for Hanyu next season too. I agree with you that if Wilson has to choreograph something, then please choreograph a short program ala Fernandez.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Then I hope Wilson will make choreography of his life for Hanyu next season. He is doing now choreography for Olympic Champion, and he must do something epic that will allow Hanyu shine at his best :) Hanyu's stamina looked really great at Worlds here, so let's do something great :)

lbc2138

On the Ice
I'll admit that his Notre Dame FP was not my favorite program but I did like the R&J 2 one even though it looks inferior in terms of artistry after seeing R&J 1. I think I would be fine with David Wilson doing his programs again, not that we would have any power over it, and I think Yuzu will breathe life into it as a great skater.

I wonder why Wilson's programs tend to look a little awkward on Yuzu as opposed to Yuna, where the programs he made fit quite well for her as a skater. Maybe it's because Yuzu is a very emotional and passionate skater while Wilson's programs tend to be tame and refined, something that would suit Yuna's style (she's pretty much has used nothing but his choreography since 2006ish) but maybe not Yuzu as of now.

Whatever the case, I have a feeling next season won't disappoint.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yuzuru is just about the most talented skater among current competitors. I agree with his self admitted shortcomings in spite of his formidable achievements and am glad and impressed with his self awareness and wisdom. I also agree ballet will help him greatly and specifically.

No doubt his future is very bright and we can expect greatness from him with such attitude. :thumbsup:

Panpie

On the Ice
Yuzuru is such a sweetheart. I am encouraged so much that he wants to improve. Honestly, I'm getting more and more of a crush on him. :love:

BlackPack

Medalist
Wow impressive interview. Very few skaters or people in general really know what their shortcomings are and have a healthy self-awareness.

The only thing I kind of worry for Yuz is that he's too critical and hard on himself which would actually backfire on him. It's hard to improve when you have an inner critic in you that won't let you enjoy your success and denigrate the things you did accomplish.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Wow impressive interview. Very few skaters or people in general really know what their shortcomings are and have a healthy self-awareness.

The only thing I kind of worry for Yuz is that he's too critical and hard on himself which would actually backfire on him. It's hard to improve when you have an inner critic in you that won't let you enjoy your success and denigrate the things you did accomplish.
I call him kiddo but sometimes I really wonder, is he really just 19? His attitude about skating has always been serious like this since the first time I saw him at Nice 2012. And he was just 17 at that time.

I hope he stay healthy, because I really want to see more of him. I mean, from the White Legend short program which is quite graceful and feminine, to a rock program like Parisians Walkway, such a gap. :eek: it's just 2 years but so much improvements. He get the versatility in him, doesn't he? I am excited at the thought we will be able to see many different sides of him in the future.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I think Yuzu would benefit greatly from ballet training, so I hope he does pursue that. That can only help his posture and performance issues.

As others have said, his humility is refreshing for someone who won the GPF, the OGM and Worlds.

He has the perfect build for ballet.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

Yes, I agree with you that Yuzuru can at times be too hard on himself, but I think, as the past season has shown, he uses that unflinching self-assessment as motivation to do even better, and also as his way to keep himself grounded. He does take pride and joy in his accomplishments. No one watching the Olympic medal ceremony in men's figure skating could mistake his happiness.

It's funny. but over in the Yuzuru thread, we were having a discussion on what Yuzuru should do to improve his skating and then the interview quoted in the OP came out and it showed that Yuzuru was already ahead of us. He really is wise beyond his years. :)

littlexflower

Rinkside
I love how Yuzu can be so adorable, playful and childlike around friends and in K&C but when giving answers in interviews he becomes a real, respectful and mature athlete. No wonder Japanese media goes crazy for him :laugh:
Anyways, since I saw Nanami Abe sensei choreographing for Worlds Gala, any hope that Yuzu and Abe sensei will reunite again? I would be happy deadly if it happens. David Wilson's just doesn't work with his style.

nimi

Medalist
As far as slouching goes... Has anybody observed what kind of posture Yuzu has off ice? I know that doing ballet for 10 years didn't really improve my horrible "natural" posture, outside of ballet class. If it's an ingrained habit, it is far too easy to slip back into it when not paying conscious attention. OTOH, if Yuzu has a fairly good natural posture and the slouching is mostly connected to stamina and respiratory issues while skating (or something like that), maybe he can get rid of the habit and learn to carry himself in a more aesthetically pleasing way when performing. I wish him luck!

Meoima

Match Penalty
As far as slouching goes... Has anybody observed what kind of posture Yuzu has off ice? I know that doing ballet for 10 years didn't really improve my horrible "natural" posture, outside of ballet class. If it's an ingrained habit, it is far too easy to slip back into it when not paying conscious attention. OTOH, if Yuzu has a fairly good natural posture and the slouching is mostly connected to stamina and respiratory issues while skating (or something like that), maybe he can get rid of the habit and learn to carry himself in a more aesthetically pleasing way when performing. I wish him luck!
I think he only need to improve his posture on ice? As for the off ice posture, I think it's kind of difficult to change. But the judges do not give marks off ice so I think his off ice postures is not a problem. I hope he will get better with his lines and postures next season.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I love how Yuzu can be so adorable, playful and childlike around friends and at K&C but when giving answers in interviews he becomes a real, respectful and mature athlete. No wonder Japanese media goes crazy for him :laugh:
Anyways, since I saw Nanami Abe sensei cheographing for Worlds Gala, any hope that Yuzu and Abe sensei will reunite again? I would be happy deadly if it happens. David Wilson's just doesn't work with his style.

I think David Wilson will probably still choreograph for Yuzuru next season and so long as Yuzuru is coached by Brian Orser. Besides David Wilson's affiliation with Brian Orser, Yuzuru obviously trusts David Wilson and is comfortable around him. David Wilson in fact subbed for Brian Orser more than once in Yuzuru's K and C (2013 Worlds and Finlandia). I have read that Yuzuru has said that David Wilson was the most interesting person he met in Canada and that with David Wilson around, he doesn't need to consult with the other TCC coaches for specific things. He said that David Wilson's choreography challenges him because of the transitions and the difficult (backloaded) jump lay-out (Yuzuru also has inputs in the latter). David Wilson himself has a good grasp of what makes Yuzuru special, citing Yuzuru's elasticity and the fiery, passionate style of his skating. I think that one reason why we haven't yet seen that fire and attack in David Wilson programs from Yuzuru that we did in his Nanami Abe programs is that more often than not Yuzuru has his hands full with executing the technical elements in DW programs, the high base value of which was key to Yuzuru's wins this season. Yuzuru is getting stronger though both physically and mentally and hopefully next year, to borrow Kurt Browning's comment, we will see the return of "the wild Hanyu" in a David Wilson LP/SP.

nimi

Medalist
I think he only need to improve his posture on ice? As for the off ice posture, I think it's kind of difficult to change. But the judges do not give marks off ice so I think his off ice postures is not a problem. I hope he will get better with his lines and postures next season.

I meant that if your natural posture off ice is slouchy AND you are used to slouching on ice too, that might be something that is really, really, really difficult to change - because basically slouching is a second nature to you. Lifelong habits like that are hard to break. Whereas if your natural posture off ice is pretty good, it may be easier to improve your posture on ice.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I meant that if your natural posture off ice is slouchy AND you are used to slouching on ice too, that might be something that is really, really, really difficult to change - because basically slouching is a second nature to you. Lifelong habits like that are hard to break. Whereas if your natural posture off ice is pretty good, it may be easier to improve your posture on ice.
I got what you mean now. It does sounds like a difficult task for the kid. But I think he will improve it, nevertheless, he seems very serious and work hard to archive his goals. The slouching and postures are affected by the long program and his stamina, it's not his natural habit to be slouching. When he is off the ice his postures look pretty much normal I think.

nimi

Medalist
The slouching and postures are affected by the long program and his stamina, it's not his natural habit to be slouching. When he is off the ice his postures look pretty much normal I think.

That's good to hear!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I think that one reason why we haven't yet seen that fire and attack in David Wilson programs from Yuzuru that we did in his Nanami Abe programs is that more often than not Yuzuru has his hands full with executing the technical elements in DW programs, the high base value of which was key to Yuzuru's wins this season. Yuzuru is getting stronger though both physically and mentally and hopefully next year, to borrow Kurt Browning's comment, we will see the return of "the wild Hanyu" in a David Wilson LP/SP.
I agree. I think people are too harsh about Wilson's choreography, and a bit too optimistic about how much Hanyu can put into a routine, beyond getting through his increasingly difficult technical elements.

Bear in mind it took him 2 years to perfect PW, and that was just a short program...!

I actually like the choreography of his last two free skates. But (just my opinion) I think he was pushing his technical and stamina limits so hard, he never managed to perfect them, or add the fire and passion that he's capable of.

And as long as he is pushing his limits so hard, I don't think it matters who his choreographer is - the same thing is going to happen.

So, if people are thinking that going back to Abe for choreography... would instantly result in performances like 2012 World's free skate... I think they'd be disappointed!

I think Hanyu is enough of an artist, that he could make any choreography into a 2012 world's performance... but only if he has enough time to perfect it... so the technical elements become "automatic", and he can concentrate on interpretation and expression.

This is why I think it was genius to keep his PW short program for an extra year... and why I think he should only change one of his programs each year. eg. one year, keep short program and make a new free skate. The next year, make a new SP and keep the old FS. And so on. Whichever one he keeps, just keep "tweaking" it, like he did with PW.

Eventually he will (hopefully) become strong enough, and skilled enough... that such a strategy would be unecessary. But until then, maybe it would be a good idea for him?

nimi

Medalist
I agree. I think people are too harsh about Wilson's choreography, and a bit too optimistic about how much Hanyu can put into a routine, beyond getting through his increasingly difficult technical elements.

Bear in mind it took him 2 years to perfect PW, and that was just a short program...!

I actually like the choreography of his last two free skates. But (just my opinion) I think he was pushing his technical and stamina limits so hard, he never managed to perfect them, or add the fire and passion that he's capable of.

And as long as he is pushing his limits so hard, I don't think it matters who his choreographer is - the same thing is going to happen.

I agree. I do think he will probably get 2 new choreos for the next season - a fresh start after the insanely successful Oly season - but considering that he says he is not going to add a new quad to his repertoire next season and that he wants to work on his posture and skating skills... Maybe this time around he will refrain from pushing the envelope so hard technically. Maybe if the new LP had approximately the same technical content and jump layout than the 2 previous Wilson ones, he would be able to concentrate more on the choreo and performance aspect of things this time around.
We'll see! :popcorn: