Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 51 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I love the new short program! It's beautiful, and I love that colour on her. I just kind of would like the gloves to be ditched.

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
First thing I noticed was her ankles... without the tights over the skates. Beautiful dress and so genuinely happy after her skate. Well done.

NaVi

Medalist
I hate to be mean, but I am not really happy with the direction Eteri and Averbukh have taken Evgenia... the SP miming is too abstract in a couple moments which makes it puzzling(I prefer last year's SP)... and the FS voices in the step sequence are cringy(because I can hear GWB talk about airplanes... he's the music without voices, could they find something else?)(though overall, I really liked it at the Japan Open). Both show a level of social/cultural autism that I"m starting to get tired of seeing in Russian programs. I'm worried that Eteri and Averbukh are a bit becoming parodies of themselves.

Which brings me to why I'm saying this... please, don't bring programs like these to the Olympics... one of the reasons(outside of the obvious) that Sotnikova drew so much ire is that some of her choreography was too abstract and baffling... don't repeat that same mistake.

Last edited:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
We will see what happens next year, Zhenya will also be a little bit older so the choreography may change. It takes time to mature as an artist, no matter how good she is technically.

I won't comment about the program, figure skating makes me superstitious :laugh: but the dress is beautiful and here's a "little" something from the practice
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMJgOnMhklz/

Also, she's really a sweetheart:
Evgenia Medvedeva ‏@JannyMedvedeva 13h13 hours ago
So sleepy, but I will wait for Yuzuru SP.
Evgenia Medvedeva ‏@JannyMedvedeva 13h13 hours ago
It's no matter. Yuzu the best. Let's go crazy tomorrow💥 Good night🌙

So wonderful to see her be supportive of him, she knows it's tough :luv17:

Bufo viridis

Rinkside
What a wonderful free program from her! Great start for the season.
I have to say, I never understood when people said that they are fans of a certain skater. I liked watching figure skating, but I was detached from the athletes themselves. That changed when I saw Evgenia in her last juniors season. And she keeps improving every year since then, and not slowing down. Truly, she proves that she is very special.

Pracygr

On the Ice
I hate to be mean, but I am not really happy with the direction Eteri and Averbukh have taken Evgenia... the SP miming is too abstract in a couple moments which makes it puzzling(I prefer last year's SP)... and the FS voices in the step sequence are cringy(because I can hear GWB talk about airplanes... he's the music without voices, could they find something else?)(though overall, I really liked it at the Japan Open). Both show a level of social/cultural autism that I"m starting to get tired of seeing in Russian programs. I'm worried that Eteri and Averbukh are a bit becoming parodies of themselves.

Which brings me to why I'm saying this... please, don't bring programs like these to the Olympics... one of the reasons(outside of the obvious) that Sotnikova drew so much ire is that some of her choreography was too abstract and baffling... don't repeat that same mistake.
There's very little abstract in these programs. Most of stand up sequences are display of very specific actions. If anything, these programs are too specific rather than too abstract, so this critique sounds rather misplaced. As for "social/cultural autism", I can see how anything breaking out of the norm of the current very stale state of popular culture can look wrong. In the world where everything is just a rehash of a rehash, a provocative program like Evgenia's FS can look like an inadmissible audacity.

I do think, however, that this program succeeds at what it sets out to do, which is to take you out of your comfort zone and sharpen your perception. It will definitely not be liked by everybody, and some people will cite not liking it as an excuse for dislike towards the skater motivated by other reasons, but one thing it will definitely not be is yet another nice generic program in sport drowning in nice generic programs.

Roman09

Final Flight
Zhenia, I love you! Congrats, many times CONGRATS! 220pts, LP TES 72.86 - no words! Let you stay the same consistant and strong for the further season!!! Molodetz! :agree:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Art on Ice

Evgenia skated a wonderful program today, maybe not flawless, but with lot´s of heart and a message to all of us.

I so like how her programs always relate to the real world, she is not skating in a fantasy world, but reality and her programs are still magical.

On ice, she is art and off ice, a normal kid who likes Sailor Moon, isn´t that fantastic? Yes, she is the best skater in the world right now and the one to beat and guess what, the success of the past year, has not gotten into her head, she smiles and claps for everyone, is good friend with many others like Ashley and it saddens me deeply that there are people in this world, who can not appreciate this, due their heart of stone. The Canadian crowd, however, loved her and so did I!

The compositions of her programs always amaze me, as they are so different to a lot what we can see and she is not afraid to put a triple combination late or as seen last year, all jump elements at the end. Besides that, she always tells her story, never goes out of character and yet possess the ability to skate into all directions, while making it look totally smooth and effortless. Her turn with the leg held up, is a trademark by now, just like other skaters have theirs and I see it as a special moment when these elements are performed and our Alaine had a wonderful & unique spin there as well or Satoko who changes direction during her spin - it´s just wonderful how all these skaters have so much to give!

Well done Evgenia and thanks for always lighting a fire in people! :love:

Молодец ;)

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Congratulations Zhenya on winning Skate Canada! She is breaking the one-season-wonder Russian tendency with a bang! :hap10:
And it was so sweet to see her cheering for Misha, Sasha and Yuzuru (she is such a fan of him :laugh) on Twitter, she is an amazing, sweet sweet girl! (not that we didn't know it before!)
I wonder which program she'll do as her EX?
And she must have a significant Sailor Moon collection after all the gifts she receives every time she competes!

Last edited:

turquoiseblue

Final Flight
Medvedeva continues to soar at Skate Canada
"This short program relates to my current situation, because it's about growing up, becoming an adult," Medvedeva said through an interpreter. "Not so much about physically growing, but about your inner world changing. As you grow up, you see the world is not as easy as it was as a child."

The teen proved she's already good at taking things in stride, competing in boots she only received a week and a half ago.

"After Japan Open, I broke my old skates, and now I have new skates, and I'm so happy because it's really good," Medvedeva said. "I really like them. It's not a problem for me."

Medvedeva runs away with Skate Canada gold
The scariest part is that Medvedeva wasn't even at her best in Mississauga, suffering from a heavy cold that prompted her to wear a surgical mask while not skating or talking to the press. She was also just a week and a half into breaking in new boots she had gotten after the Japan Open earlier in October.

The Russian teen combined big, consistent jumps with sensitivity and elegance in her free skate to music from the Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close soundtrack, choreographed by former world ice dance champion Ilya Averbukh. She hit a big opening triple flip-triple toe loop combination and gained Level 4's for her three spins and her step sequence. A few of her jumps, including an under-rotated double axel done late in the program, were imperfect, but these were very minor blemishes.

"My performance isn't good for me, because I made mistakes on my two last jumps, and I will work harder," Medvedeva said. "But I'm so happy because I am first today."

With her programs this season, Medvedeva cements her reputation as one of the sport's best storytellers. In her short, she played a child encountering the wonder and challenges of growing up; in her free skate, she is a young woman who gets tragic news about a loved one's death in an accident.

"I shut out everything around me, try to remember him, try to remember how much I love him," Medvedeva said through an interpreter. "Then the phone rings, and I get the news he is never coming home again. It's about how you have to appreciate each moment with the people you love."

Last edited: