Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 53 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm listening to the new Ice Talk podcast with Lynn Rutherford and Jackie Wong, and Lynn talks about how amazed she was by Evgenia's performance at SC considering she was very ill with a cold, and still breaking in new boots. I knew she was wearing the facemask for a reason, but I didn't realize she was that sick. It's all the more impressive that she skated so well with those factors & jetlag did not seem to affect her, either. I really think there is nothing that can rattle that girl!

(Most of the podcast had nothing to do with Evgenia, but it's a good listen anyway...I like these hosts about 1000x more than TSL!)

turquoiseblue

Final Flight
This article mentions that she was suffering from a heavy cold.

The scariest part is that Medvedeva wasn't even at her best in Mississauga, suffering from a heavy cold that prompted her to wear a surgical mask while not skating or talking to the press. She was also just a week and a half into breaking in new boots she had gotten after the Japan Open earlier in October.

What a fighter she is :bow:

Spiral

Final Flight
It's so gratifying to see her follow up her first perfect senior season with two new stand-out programs and performances, and to see the audience in Canada give her a standing ovation after the LP! Also so cute of somebody to give Tutberidze a cat toy and Zhenya a kitten toy in the same style after the SP - she even brought it with her the next day! And somebody made/found a Saylor Moon doll. And to think that she did these amazing performances back to back while being sick, and was still hard on herself!

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
It's so gratifying to see her follow up her first perfect senior season with two new stand-out programs and performances, and to see the audience in Canada give her a standing ovation after the LP! Also so cute of somebody to give Tutberidze a cat toy and Zhenya a kitten toy in the same style after the SP - she even brought it with her the next day! And somebody made/found a Saylor Moon doll. And to think that she did these amazing performances back to back while being sick, and was still hard on herself!

The cat Eteri was holding was actually a tissue box cover :laugh: Zhenya's joined the club.

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Yeah , I noticed that too. Yuzuru has tiger one .

Yuzuru has a Winnie the Pooh, Misha has a Stitch, Alaine Chartrand is also carrying one (a bear I think), Nam used to have a Kumamon and Javier also used to have a Mickey. And now Zhenya has her cat :biggrin: Idk if I'm missing anyone else

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Managing to skate that well with a cold is just plain boss. Way to kick it, Evgenia!

The cat, by the way, on her tissue box cover and the one she was holding in the kiss-and-cry, is Luna, Sailor Moon's companion and trusted advisor. So having Luna sitting on the side of the boards advising our Sailor Medvedeva is pretty funny!

Spiral

Final Flight
The cat Eteri was holding was actually a tissue box cover :laugh: Zhenya's joined the club.

Managing to skate that well with a cold is just plain boss. Way to kick it, Evgenia!

The cat, by the way, on her tissue box cover and the one she was holding in the kiss-and-cry, is Luna, Sailor Moon's companion and trusted advisor. So having Luna sitting on the side of the boards advising our Sailor Medvedeva is pretty funny!

Oh, I see. She has a Luna tissue box cover, and somebody gave her a stuffed toy Luna after SP. And she played a bit with both while waiting for her marks :).

turquoiseblue

Final Flight
Donovan: 2016 Skate Canada fashion awards
Medvedeva, Hanyu take gold for their costume selections in Mississauga

LADIES
GOLD - Evgenia Medvedeva (SP)

First and foremost: What Skate Canada boasted in technical ability, it lacked in creative fashion, especially since the ladies podium this go-round was essentially a "prettiest dress" competition -- and nobody had a prettier dress than 16-year-old Russian Evgenia Medvedeva. The luminescent, glacial blue of her short program frock radiated across the ice as she nailed her stellar performance. For a number choreographed to "River Flows in You" and "The Winter," the ombré of Medvedeva's dress very appropriately channels a glacial Moulin.

turquoiseblue

Final Flight
http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/938358

translation please?

google translation is hideous
Thanks for the link. I would appreciate it if someone could translate this interview into English.

Google translate (There are some sentences that don't really make sense :scratch2:)

Evgeny Medvedev: If the TV cartoon, throw everything and I will watch it

On Evgenia Medvedeva we met in the lobby of "Megasport" capital arena, where there was a stage of "Grand Prix" in figure skating. She was not involved in it, but there were posters with her picture.

"You walk, look around and think of - what's going on?"
- "You do not know" - I joked awkwardly, looking into the eyes of the world champion. The rest of the face was closed medical mask.
- It's nothing to no one is infected. A lot of people. Health cherish her. And three days before the "Skate Canada," I have a bad cold. It was hard.

- You are so fond of skating, that came to the Moscow stage of the "Grand Prix" and see all the from and to?
- You know, yeah! This case, which I have been doing throughout his life. That deal, which I dedicate all of myself. There are a lot of my opponents, there are many people who inspire me. And if you have the opportunity to once again look at the high-level skaters - why not look?

- This is a view of a professional or fan?
- Rather, professional.

- It happens - oh, cool element, can try the most?
- For the most part I am, of course, come to watch figure skating from a technical point of view. Someone adds in elements of someone in skating. It is interesting.

- Around posters with your image. Anna Pogorilaya even said, feeling that Eugene Medvedev appears here.
- I also have the feeling that I am addressing here - laughing skater. - The more I acted on the Moscow stage last year. And now, when I first saw myself on the poster, it was a surprise. Very pleased that I had the honor of being the face of these events. Although I did not participate in them.

- Perhaps some feeling of split personality is to come.
- Sometimes it is. You go, you look around and think - what happens?

"It is in the nature of a strong shyness no"
- I can not go back to a victorious stage in Canada. What was the most difficult thing - to speak after a cold or psychological pressure to be a favorite?
- Probably, the most difficult was the fact that this is the beginning of the season, and I had to perform for the first time the two programs in the competitive mode. Then, in the course of the season, you get used to it already.

- Exactly one year ago at the "Skate America" was your take off. Milwaukee is not far from Mississauga, too, on the Great Lakes. You remember this?
- Last year I was in America three times, and sometimes I have the feeling that I have for this country is a little getting used to.

- And now you've been in that part of Canada, which is very similar to the United States.
- Indeed, very similar.

- North American audience - it is difficult?
- I would not say I've always liked to perform in America. The audience reacted quite calmly and with understanding. When you need quiet - they create silence, and when it is necessary to support, create a very warm, homely atmosphere.

- Some athletes experience on American arenas some tension.
- No, I have no such feeling. Moreover, I sometimes so close at himself, he did not even hear the applause after the elements.

- This season you even talk with the audience - or rather, invisible to the photographer who hands you an invisible picture at the beginning of the short program, and you tell him "thank you". The director of the program, Ilya Averbukh said that it did not immediately have started to turn.
- Not right away, yes. It's just something new - no-one else in the program did not speak. And the tightness I had initially. But not for long. I do not have the character of a very strong shyness. And here also, I understand that it's my job and I must fulfill it. So I take a picture and say "thank you". I think it's interesting.

- And it's "thank you" at the very beginning, where all think about jumping.
- Oddly enough, the program I have absolutely no distractions.

- But still there is a "click" in his head said "thank you", we should switch to the elements?
- Of course, when the skater executes the program, it goes from element to element. One member did - so, switch the brain, went on to the next item. It is the same in steps, and skating.

- Is difficult enough on a plan of any program now easier to perform?
- Over time this story begins more and more to understand. Most get used to the role. With each new hire feel the details.

- Understand about this story is not all.
- It is, but there are people who are imbued with and understand it. Perhaps, at the moment there are not many, but I hope that towards the middle of the season the program will become clearer and more accessible.

- Work on the choreographic nuances going on?
- Of course! Over the program work the whole season, and mostly just on the nuances.

"Two people living in every person"
- All notice that you start to grow up. Share feelings - as it happens?
- Changing the perception of the world. Changing the approach to life situations and circumstances. Over time, a person gains experience, begins to focus - and you know that you can already cope with the problems that previously could not handle. But manners are the same. If the TV cartoon will go, I will throw everything and I will watch it.

- And figure skating ???
- No, figure skating is not going to throw.

- If in parallel with the Moscow stage of the "Grand Prix" in figure skating was a festival of Japanese animation, then ...
- ... I would have included a translation of the Japanese cartoons and would have sat on the podium. Skaters know all, and Japanese animation is not all.

- As advances in the study of the Japanese language?
- I'm trying to learn it gradually. But this year, I have exams, and I am now very hard learning. I have since before the World Cup had to study a bit to let go, and now I catch up. Sometimes it is difficult, it is necessary to store very large amounts of information. So I can not say that the development of the Japanese language is now taking place successfully. But I hope that happens in the future.

- Growing up something you want?
- I believe that in one person living two people. The person responsible for their actions and words, and the man who, in fact, a child does not change. After all traits in childhood, and it seems to me, do not change throughout life. If you once something shy - you're just going to be ashamed of this life. And what about growing up - it's like a person chooses. If you do not want to change internally, it will remain bright and positive. Likewise, as a child. But it can be held accountable for their actions.

- Perfect option?
- I think yes. And this is possible.