1A*
FCSp

Detailed choreo, but problems on all jumps

SP: 52.31, 3rd (out of 5)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The one who just skated to that song I think is called "Let's get loud" had very good spins. Got to give credit where credit is due.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
again not bad!

I do prefer Zijun's music cut more as it is cut seamlessly.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Selena Zhao (CAN)

Light blue strapless dress, sparkly trim

Music: Moon River (vocal)

3Lz+2T - nice lutz
LSp
FSSp
StSq
3F - e
1A*
CCoSp3p

SP: 49.44

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
I didn't know there was a livestream for this event! :dance: And I'm house-sitting all week, too! :party2:

I missed today, but I will see you all tomorrow woo-hooo!

TrishaG

Rinkside
Hi everyone! Here's my report from the first day of Skate Detroit.

A series of unfortunate events caused me to be late, and I missed the first 6 skaters of the Senior Ladies. I'm so bummed I missed Kaetlyn! :bang: Luckily, it was very easy to find parking and a seat, so I settled in and watched the rest of Group A. I saw Elizabet run by a few times, warming up. She also did a lot of off-ice jumps next to the stand I was sitting in. She is super tiny in person! I didn't see Brian Orser though.

I got some food while they were resurfacing the ice, and sat down at a table off to the side. It got pretty crowded and I kept feeling like I was in the way, lol. It's a small area and there were lots of younger competitors darting around, parents trying to find their athletes to come out from the locker rooms, etc. So I went back into the rink and stood off by the door, figuring I'd be out of everyone's path. And then I noticed Brian Orser was about ten feet from me!! Elizabet came up to him and they talked about her warmup. They both seemed very calm and relaxed. At this point, I was doing my best to keep them in my side vision and not look like I was paying any attention. :popcorn: She had finished with what he'd told her to do so he said to do something else (didn't catch what) and then to put on her skates. He checked with her that she had a place to put on her skates before he sent her off to finish her warm up. Also, Elizabet had ribbons around her bun and one of them had flopped forward on the top of her head; while they were talking, Brian pushed it back in place for her. He seems like such a caring coach.

Another coach (whom I didn't recognize) came up and chatted with Brian at that point. They started talking about watching artistic roller skating at the Pan Am Games and who had won. Then Brian said, "There's no way I could ever that do that. I don't know how they can." LOL.

I moved to a different section that was right in the middle for Group B, and ended up sitting near Hannah Miller's family. They are all super nice. I mentioned she is one of the skaters I'm most excited to see, and they were pleased to hear that. They like hearing that she has fans. Apparently, she just ordered her SP dress last week so it's not ready yet. The black one she wore is from a past program. I also met a very nice lady who had come up from Nashville just for Skate Detroit, and it's an annual trip she and her friends do. Her friends were still traveling today. (note to self: convert friends into skating fans.)

I was pretty amused when I realized that Elizabet was skating to Send In The Clowns. I mean, Yuna skated to it for her SP in Sochi! Brian is simultaneously throwing Yuna some subtle shade, but also evoking Yuna comparisons to get the judges thinking about all that his last female athlete accomplished. This is the launch of Yuna 2.0, aka Elizabet. It's just layers of deliciousness. That being said, I thought she skated really well. She has a lot of speed, but also has a lovely and gentle delicacy in her movements. While we waited for scores, Hannah's mom said that people were wondering how old Elizabet is because she's just so tiny. Apparently, most were guessing that she's 12 or 13. When I said that she's no younger than 15 because this is her first year as a senior, everyone seemed surprised. She really does look super young for her age! Tbh, if I didn't know any better, I'd guess she was 12.

Hannah had the loudest cheer by far of anyone. Lots of her supporters in the stands. A family friend had a very nice camera with a giant zoom lens that he brought out only when she came out to warm up. He took pictures non-stop during her entire program, literally. (And then he put the camera away after she'd finished and it never came out again, lol.) I loved Hannah's program! Her mom said that Hannah wasn't sure about it and had thought about doing something else instead, but she'd decided to keep it. She is usually more conservative so this was different for her. Rohene Ward choreographed it and Hannah had enjoyed working with him. Hannah came into the stands not too long after she skated, and she seems very sweet and nice. The lady from Nashville told her she'd loved every moment of her program. I told her how I much I'd liked it too. She thanked us and said she hadn't been sure if she was going to keep it. We both said she should.

I felt bad for Catherine Girard when they played the wrong music for her. When her first music cut played, I thought it was a mistake with her music again! There were other French Canadian skaters sitting a few rows behind me and you could tell they thought the same thing. It was really funny to hear their exclamations in French at that point. "Oh non!" But she kept skating so it obviously wasn't a mistake. It definitely sounded like one though, so I'd change the music cuts if I were her.

So, that's my report of Day 1. I'm excited to go back for Day 2 tomorrow...and trying to work up the courage to ask Brian Orser if he'd take a picture with me. G'nite, skate fans!

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
thanks for your report Trisha! esp for Elizabet :love: its funny how they thought she was 12-13 :laugh: but she doesnt skate small imo :biggrin: ahhh its so cute how Brian takes care of his skaters, even little things like fixing her ribbon