2023-24 Grand Prix Final Senior Men Free Skate | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Grand Prix Final Senior Men Free Skate

badknees

Medalist
Wasn't the ISU talking about separating out the competition into an artistic one and a tech one?
Sure Ilia has fabulous jumps but is NOT the best skater by far. This is FIGURE skating. We really need to bring back figures!
Scoring for jumps is too high. They should bring higher scores for edges, skating skills, spins, stretch and everything else that makes me watch figure skating. Jump competitions bore me. I'm sorry but imho........it's like when Plushy was winning just on jumps with terrible choreography.

SXTN

Final Flight
Wasn't the ISU talking about separating out the competition into an artistic one and a tech one?
Sure Ilia has fabulous jumps but is NOT the best skater by far. This is FIGURE skating. We really need to bring back figures!
Scoring for jumps is too high. They should bring higher scores for edges, skating skills, spins, stretch and everything else that makes me watch figure skating. Jump competitions bore me. I'm sorry but imho........it's like when Plushy was winning just on jumps with terrible choreography.
Only a few skaters can combine all aspects of figure skating to perfection. Mostly you either have technical skaters such as Malinin or you have artistic skaters such as Jason Brown or Shoma Uno. Malinin doesn't have the best skating skills, but Jason Brown on the other hand cannot jump and Shoma Uno has one of the worst jump techniques in a long time and still all three have medals at home.

Without the little emphasis on jumps, figure skating wouldn't be an Olympics sport anymore by the way.

Moon322

Rinkside
It's about scoring and titles. If he has more titles and bigger scores than anyone else, he is the best ever.

He is still very far away from having the most titles or having the biggest scores/dozens of world records. He has just won his first major senior title, he has only one Worlds medal and no Olympic medals yet. Don't jinx him. ;)
But even if he wins lots of titles because of his jumping content, I doubt most people will consider him the greatest skater of all times.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't care if Ilia wasn't perfect. He has improved so much over last season. When you watch the "Fan Cam" shots of his program, he is so much faster than last year. Every aspect of his skating has improved. I'm extra proud of him for winning this HUGE Title.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just finished watching the men - late to the party. Congratulations to the medalists. Congratulations to Ilia on his massive technical content. I can think of no other adjective to describe his jumping other than "prodigious". I know a lot is made of the 4A, but I think his 4Lz amazes me even more -- especially when he does it in combination. The height and the spring are just insane.

Congratulations to Shoma and Yuma too! The stillness of Shoma's program is so challenging. Glad to see some combos back again. He hasn't done a 3-jump sequence in a LONG time, and so glad to see him not back off on the 3T in the combo. HIs smoothness is so beautiful! Very impressed with how they have managed Yuma's return to competition following his injury. They both had some mistakes, but overall, their smooth glide and those Japanese marshmallow knees are beautiful.

Hope Kao is ok. I'm sure he would have hated to withdraw, but he looked pretty "spent" when he was finished. Hope he's on the way to healing from his gastroenteritis. Glad to see Adam had a redemption skate. So sorry to see Kevin lose his focus but glad to see the real Kevin come out in his final steps.

A couple things:
--Very odd to see no flags being waved in the audience. Looked like only cardboard things with people's names. I think I saw a few banner towels for the Japanese skaters.
--Glad that it seemed the audience was very engaged (and cheering a lot!). It was SO dead during the short programs, I felt bad for the skaters!
--I couldn't remember how Ilia's skate compared to Nathan's last GPF. I looked and saw it was 335. But a win is a win is a win!

We have seen the future of this sport. Ilia rotated 13,540 degrees in the air. (And that's not counting the Euler.)

For a comparison to lesser sports, in skateboarding the first triple (1080 dgerees) was accomplished only in 2020 (by an 11-year-old boy in Brazil):

Last edited: