Russian Nationals 2017 General Info | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Russian Nationals 2017 General Info

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I'm excited to confirm that ESPN3 will once again be carrying live coverage in entirety for 2017 Russian Nationals! :hap85:

http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index...+Skating+Federation+of+Russia/search/russian/

12/22 4:00 AM EST 2017 Russian Figure Skating Championships (Day 1)
12/23 4:00 AM EST 2017 Russian Figure Skating Championships (Day 2)
12/24 5:00 AM EST 2017 Russian Figure Skating Championships (Day 3)
12/25 3:00 AM EST 2017 Russian Figure Skating Championships (Day 4)

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Sotnikova is currently participating in a popular TV program in Russia called 'Ice Age', for which she has to make a weekly TV appearance with a new ice dance routine. She got the TV offer just after the Russian Test Skate and she has no time for practising for competitions for this season.

hanca

Record Breaker
Why are Popova/Mozgov not competing in dance?

Because they didn't qualify. They didn't have a GP event, so their chance to qualify was only through the Russian Cup competitions. They have done well in their first Russian cup, but withdrew from their second Russian cup after the SP, so they don't have enough points to qualify for the nationals. Some people did expect for them to get pass to the nationals, the federation can do it and one or two dance couples who will compete are quite painful to watch, scoring around 120 total score, but I guess the fedration wanted to make it fair, so they were not giving out any favours and therefore let compete only those who qualified according to the rules.

Pracygr

On the Ice
The last few years 4th place have been juniors. Sakhanovich in 2013, Proklova in 2014, Tsurskaya in 2016... In 2015 4th place was eligible Pogorilaya, but 5th and 6th were ineligible Sakhanovich and Sotskova. This coming nationals I can imagine a few juniors being on 4-6 places, which will put them in good position for the next season.
And some time before that two top places were taken by 12 year olds. Standards are changing. Last year it took two perfect skates and a dominating JGP season from Polina to claim 4th. This year is likely to be even harder, especially for those who don't have big international wins under their belts just yet.

pasha74

Rinkside
Since I am not able to watch the event live, it would be great if there can be created a video thread with the videos with no spoilers (according to starting order) like during grand prix season. I very appreciated that.

Same problem here...I'll deeply appreciate if somebody will manage to post the videos!!! :bow: :)

hanca

Record Breaker
And some time before that two top places were taken by 12 year olds. Standards are changing. Last year it took two perfect skates and a dominating JGP season from Polina to claim 4th. This year is likely to be even harder, especially for those who don't have big international wins under their belts just yet.

I am happy to bet that 4th or 5th will be a junior. If you think about it, only Medvedeva and Pogorilaya are consistent and are very likely to score over 200. Radionova may score well, but that depends on her being reasonably clean. Sotskova is likely to be clean but hasn't had many (if ever) scores over 200. Tuktamysheva and Lipnitskaya would be scored high if they were clean but they haven't been skating anywhere near their potential the whole season so I wouldn't be that certain that they can't be beaten by someone like Zagitova or Gubanova if Zagitova or Gubanova are clean. Z and G have both managed to get 195 internationally, which means that at home they may get more. So my predictions would be 1st and 2nd Medvedeva and Pogorilaya (in whichever order), 3rd and 4th Radionova and Sotskova (in whichever order) but with both of them it depends on being clean. 5th and 6th Zagitova and Gubanova (in whatever order). If Radionova or Sotskova makes mistakes, either Z or G could take the fourth place.
Unfortunately, my guess will be that Tuktamysheva and Lipnitskaya will be only 7th and 8th.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Because they didn't qualify. They didn't have a GP event, so their chance to qualify was only through the Russian Cup competitions. They have done well in their first Russian cup, but withdrew from their second Russian cup after the SP, so they don't have enough points to qualify for the nationals. Some people did expect for them to get pass to the nationals, the federation can do it and one or two dance couples who will compete are quite painful to watch, scoring around 120 total score, but I guess the fedration wanted to make it fair, so they were not giving out any favours and therefore let compete only those who qualified according to the rules.

Oh, I see, thanks for the explanation. I think they could have done decently based on their score at the recent Challenger event.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I am happy to bet that 4th or 5th will be a junior. If you think about it, only Medvedeva and Pogorilaya are consistent and are very likely to score over 200. Radionova may score well, but that depends on her being reasonably clean. Sotskova is likely to be clean but hasn't had many (if ever) scores over 200. Tuktamysheva and Lipnitskaya would be scored high if they were clean but they haven't been skating anywhere near their potential the whole season so I wouldn't be that certain that they can't be beaten by someone like Zagitova or Gubanova if Zagitova or Gubanova are clean. Z and G have both managed to get 195 internationally, which means that at home they may get more. So my predictions would be 1st and 2nd Medvedeva and Pogorilaya (in whichever order), 3rd and 4th Radionova and Sotskova (in whichever order) but with both of them it depends on being clean. 5th and 6th Zagitova and Gubanova (in whatever order). If Radionova or Sotskova makes mistakes, either Z or G could take the fourth place.
Unfortunately, my guess will be that Tuktamysheva and Lipnitskaya will be only 7th and 8th.
I actually have faith in Liza: she has skated well in Zagreb and she could even beat Radionova if she's clean or close to clean. I definitely consider her a potential dark horse for a spot for Euros/Worlds :cheer: