IOC's banning of Russia from 2018 Olympics | Page 14 | Golden Skate

IOC's banning of Russia from 2018 Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

yude

Record Breaker
Thank you for the link, but unfortunately I can't watch the video of press conference because it is geoblocked in my country. But indeed, that part is different from the article I posted. Literal translation of "ロシアがやったことを考えれば、当然の処置” is "Considering of what Russia did, it is natural treatment". I found Kolyada's quote in other Japanese newspaper (which is trustworthy) and it said the same thing, but there might have been misunderstanding in interpreting Russian to Japanese. (or, the article itself is not about the interview in press conference since there is also Voronov's comment there, I have no idea.) But the best thing may be believing in the athlete's actual voice.

Sorry for quoting my post, but ISU announced the correction on Kolyada's comments in Japanese article.

http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASKD85DZ7KD8UTQP024.html

"Considering what Russia did, it was inevitable treatment. As for me, I will follow their decision and will not be there as a representative of Russia." was not correct, they say, "It was the right decision (of them) to allow Russian athletes to participate, because I can not imagine the Olympics without the Russian team." was proper translation (which is almost the same as what he said in the press con).

GGFan

Record Breaker
This whole story is just ridiculous. Each of the athletes had hundreds of negative tests before and after Sochi. Then McLaren suddenly appears with supposedly scratched tubes. Actually, no one outside his commission saw these scratches, and no one knows, wasn't it McLaren who scratched the tubes; the IOC just takes his word for it. Ah, there is also Rodchenkov who was caught destroying the samples, but instead of getting his career permanently destroyed, he got a second breath with you-know-who (see the original post).

:rofl: the wishful thinking is strong here. McLaren is the the cheat?? :laugh2:

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
Why aren't you laughing at the claims that the Russian Federal Security Service tampered with the test tubes?

freeman21

On the Ice
During today's press conference, Zagitova straight up saying she will not talk yet about the possibility to attend the Olympics as a neutral athlete. She also looked a bit... lost when answering this.

I wonder when the Russian federation will allow the skaters to actually talk about this/announce a decision.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Why aren't you laughing at the claims that the Russian Federal Security Service tampered with the test tubes?

Because of robust corroborated evidence. Feel free to refer to my previous explanations.

Eclair

Medalist
During today's press conference, Zagitova straight up saying she will not talk yet about the possibility to attend the Olympics as a neutral athlete. She also looked a bit... lost when answering this.

I wonder when the Russian federation will allow the skaters to actually talk about this/announce a decision.

both Voronov and Kolyada already said that they would definitely like go, if they are allowed. Not sure the fed is the reason why Zagitova didn't say anything

PavelKoller

Rinkside
Maybe she doesn't want to give an ultimate answer before Medvedeva? I mean Evgenia said to the IOC board that she cannot imagine herself going under neutral flag and she is now in morally uneasy situation. Alina is younger than Evgenia, maybe just doesn't want to speak first?

madison

Record Breaker

She didn't look lost and personally I think she did the right choice not to answer such political questions... not to speak that she avoided a very bad and misleading translation on such a sensitive issue as in the case of Kolyada yesterday.

madison

Record Breaker
Maybe she doesn't want to give an ultimate answer before Medvedeva? I mean Evgenia said to the IOC board that she cannot imagine herself going under neutral flag and she is now in uneasy situation. Alina is younger than Evgenia, maybe just doesn't want to speak first?

Probably she was advised by the coaches not to speak about this issue. it's the right thing to do. Everything about Russia's ban is very new and there isn't yet an official decision if the Russian athletes participate or not.

Ender

Match Penalty
Probably she was advised by the coaches not to speak about this issue. it's the right thing to do. Everything about Russia's ban is very new and there isn't yet an official decision if the Russian athletes participate or not.
It’s a good choice not to talk about it now. Poor athletes though.

Eclair

Medalist
The athletes shouldn't say anything, period. These are traps. :sarcasm:

I'm disappointed in her answer. Voronov and Kolyada gave a much better answer and it was really interesting to see what they think and how they see this issue. I even like Kolyada more after the press conference, because all his answer were really interesting and thought-through (that translator though is just incompetent). Alina is like Meryl. Total bore in all of her answers.

PavelKoller

Rinkside
Yes, Eteri is smart enough to predict such a question and advise Alina on a wise answer.... which is just not to give an answer...

madison

Record Breaker
Of course for the public is juicy to have some spicy answers on this controversial issue, but it's better for the athletes not to answer.
The question 'what do you think about IOC's decision on Russia's ban' is way too political, especially for teenager athletes such as Zagitova.
And we all know that all athletes would want to go to Olympics that this is their main goal and dream, they don't need to answer about that.

Eclair

Medalist
Of course for the public is juicy to have some spicy answers on this controversial issue, but it's better for the athletes not to answer.
The question 'what do you think about IOC's decision on Russia's ban' is way too political, especially for teenager athletes such as Zagitova.
And we all know that all athletes would want to go to Olympics that this is their main goal and dream, they don't need to answer about that.

it was obvious that they would ask her, as they have asked every Russian athlete so far, so it would have been smart to prepare a more eloquent but at the same time honest answer. Not a big deal she didn't say anything, but I have more respect for the athletes who did give a proper answer, like Voronov, Kolyada and even Ksenia.

beachmouse

On the Ice
Maybe she doesn't want to give an ultimate answer before Medvedeva? I mean Evgenia said to the IOC board that she cannot imagine herself going under neutral flag and she is now in morally uneasy situation. Alina is younger than Evgenia, maybe just doesn't want to speak first?

As professional as she is on the ice, she really is so very young. While I think it's the right of the press to ask that kind of question, I also feel like it's the right of a schoolgirl to decide she doesn't want to answer and get put into the middle of a geo-political debate at the moment because it can so easily turn into a minefield if a few people decide they don't like the answer.

Ender

Match Penalty
I'm disappointed in her answer. Voronov and Kolyada gave a much better answer and it was really interesting to see what they think and how they see this issue. I even like Kolyada more after the press conference, because all his answer were really interesting and thought-through (that translator though is just incompetent). Alina is like Meryl. Total bore in all of her answers.
She is 15 year old, a minor.
Voronov and Kokyada are adults. Don’t compare.

GGFan

Record Breaker
As professional as she is on the ice, she really is so very young. While I think it's the right of the press to ask that kind of question, I also feel like it's the right of a schoolgirl to decide she doesn't want to answer and get put into the middle of a geo-political debate at the moment because it can so easily turn into a minefield if a few people decide they don't like the answer.

Given the number of ridiculous statements I've read over the past couple days (from grown, sophisticated athletes and commentators) I respect anyone who says no comment. We reward too much ill-considered opinion sharing these days.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

zounger

Medalist
it was obvious that they would ask her, as they have asked every Russian athlete so far, so it would have been smart to prepare a more eloquent but at the same time honest answer. Not a big deal she didn't say anything, but I have more respect for the athletes who did give a proper answer, like Voronov, Kolyada and even Ksenia.

Technically you are right all of us would like to hear something more. But there is no much space for criticism on her for that, since she is only 15. She can not be in the same level of understanding and speak ability like the athletes you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.