Kolyada defends Russian National title | Golden Skate

Kolyada defends Russian National title

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2018 Russian Nationals Figure Skating Championships: Men

The first set of medals of the 2018 Russian National Figure Skating Championships were decided in the Men's event. Defending champion Mikhail Kolyada pulled up from second place after the short program to score a convincing victory with 281.16 points in total, more than 20 points ahead of Alexander Samarin (258.53), who won the short. Another St. Petersburg's skater, Dmitri Aliev, won the bronze (249.11).

"First of all I would like to thank the local public for support," said the two-time national champion. "It's always pleasure to skate at home. As for my performance, I made mistakes. I guess the best way to put it is to say that I am happy with the results, but not entirely satisfied with my performance."
"First of all I would like to apologise to the federation, to my coach and my entire team," said Samarin. "I am deeply ashamed of my performance. I promise you that I will work even harder and more diligently. I will do my best to ensure that no one will ever see me skating like that ever again. It's not at all what I was working towards to."
"It was always difficult for me to skate last," said Aliev, "but I am truly impressed by how the crowd supported me at the end of the program when I was almost dead on my feet. Especially during the final step sequence. It felt so great that I almost wished I ccould do another element just for them."

More...

What are your thoughts on the Men's event at Russian Nationals?

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
If i understand correct, if Kolyada will not have a good showing at EC and is the third from them at European, he will not be taken to Oly? Wow, that would be a mistake from the Federation ..... Why the heck did he bothered with the whole GP? :palmf:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
If i understand correct, if Kolyada will not have a good showing at EC and is the third from them at European, he will not be taken to Oly? Wow, that would be a mistake from the Federation ..... Why the heck did he bothered with the whole GP? :palmf:
Losing to both Samarin and Aliev in his present condition would take some doing. It'd have to be a total disaster, not just "not a good showing".

Alchamei

Record Breaker

I don't think that the Fed would be so dumb to not send Mikhail to Olympics, since he medaled in GPF and won the National title. It also seems they are pushing for him and would send him even if he placed behind Samarin and Aliev.

Voronov on the other hand... :sad21:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Well it happened to Kovtun last time, so who knows.

Russia has two spots though - and Plushenko isn't returning - so Kolyada will be fine regardless of if he bombs at Euros.