Team Canada maintains lead | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Team Canada maintains lead

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
They can! Italy has only one point to make up. Kostner will probably get second and Rizzo last. That leaves it up to Capelini and Lanotte. Could they get second ahead of the Shibs and the Russians? Why not? That would give Italy 59 points. If the Shibs get only 3rd :( and Mirai finishes last :( :(, that leaves it up to Rippon. He would have to win outright (possible in this field) to put the USA clearly ahead with 60 points.

More likely the Shibs will get second with C&L at best 3rd, probably 4th. This takes the pressure off Adam and the USA will win with a middle of the pack finish in men.

The men are definitely the wild cards, if not the jokers. Adam could get anywhere from 1st to 4th. Tanaka could easily win IMHO. Chan could crush it. Or not.

I love this event! :rock:

Well if Kostner skates like she has her free this season besides Rostelecom, and gets scored accurately (not ridiculously high like Europeans) then she won't be 2nd
I think the ShibSibs will beat C/L again in the free
Rippon will nearly definitely beat Rizzo, I think. I prefer Rizzo, though.

russianfan

Match Penalty
If you win, that means that overall your country is the #1 figure skating country in the world, at least for the next four years. :cool:

Can't agree with that. There is only one discipline where Canada is #1 and that is ice dance. Japan is the best in men, Russia in ladies, several countries are good in pairs. I don't know why but i still can't get off the feeling that team event is like some kind of exhibition for fans (which is not a bad thing).

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Watching it again on CBC at the moment, and in slow mo you can see that while a slight touch she never shifted her weight and was able to get in the toe.

Okay. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to watch anything so I have no clue what happened at all.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Can't agree with that. There is only one discipline where Canada is #1 and that is ice dance. Japan is the best in men, Russia in ladies, several countries are good in pairs. I don't know why but i still can't get off the feeling that team event is like some kind of exhibition for fans (which is not a bad thing).

I would even say that overall the Americans are better in ice dance. All three of our top teams made the GPF this year. Once V/M leave, then the next top team is W/P who didn't even make the GPF this year.
I think the Chinese are best in pairs. Savchenko/Massot are just one good team, same thing with Duhamel/Radford. Tarasova/Morozov seem to be leading the way: Russia has several strong junior pairs, but the Chinese are currently best right now I think.
Ladies is definitely Russia.
And Japan has two top gold medal contenders, so I think they're on top right now for the men.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
CBC is currently showing all skates from last night as I write SfM. Hopefully there will be a copy on YouTube soon, so you can see it yourself.

LRK

Record Breaker
I like the team event. It shows breadth across the disciplines.

And lots of other sports where the athletes normally compete as individuals have team events or relays. I don't know why figure skating shouldn't have a team event.

I do wish, personally, that it was AFTER the individual event. If I could change one thing about it, that would be it.

ChanClan

On the Ice

It's not really about being the #1 in each discipline but more about being good in all disciplines. While Japan is the best in mens, they lack in ID and pairs, so overall, they can't be considered the #1 figure skating country. China has a great pairs team, but their other discipline are lacking a bit, that's why they didn't make it to the free programs. Russia is great in all disciplines, that's why they won gold in Sochi. Canada is great in all disciplines, that's why they won silver in Sochi and are leading here.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I thought Canada wouldn't have such an easy time keeping the lead, so I wonder did Kolyada ruin OAR's shot for team gold? Hope he can make amends in the free, fingers crossed for a solid performance there.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
It's not really about being the #1 in each discipline but more about being good in all disciplines. While Japan is the best in mens, they lack in ID and pairs, so overall, they can't be considered the #1 figure skating country. China has a great pairs team, but their other discipline are lacking a bit, that's why they didn't make it to the free programs. Russia is great in all disciplines, that's why they won gold in Sochi. Canada is great in all disciplines, that's why they won silver in Sochi and are leading here.
But it's not really that way when only some people take it seriously. Only Canada, the US, Italy, Japan, and to an extent, Russia (no T/M in the free = poka poka, gold) took it seriously. The rest didn't show their best. Why? Because it wasn't worth it, to get so much media attention and hype, to overtrain for a silly event they have no chance in doing well in, to risk getting injured before the real deal

madison

Record Breaker
I like the team events, but something should be changed when it comes to the Olympic team event in figure skating... cause the feeling is that (the majority of the) countries don't take it serious. Maybe another format or moving the team event after the individual competitions? I don't know, but something is missing right now.

ChanClan

On the Ice
But it's not really that way when only some people take it seriously. Only Canada, the US, Italy, Japan, and to an extent, Russia (no T/M in the free = poka poka, gold) took it seriously. The rest didn't show their best. Why? Because it wasn't worth it, to get so much media attention and hype, to overtrain for a silly event they have no chance in doing well in, to risk getting injured before the real deal

The teams that you say aren't taking it seriously because it wasn't worth it for them to show up aren't good across all disciplines so it's not like they'd have a shot at winning anyways. That's the point of the team event. To show that you are strong in ALL disciplines. People not going or not taking it seriously doesn't change that.

Kissx3

Final Flight
I thought Canada wouldn't have such an easy time keeping the lead, so I wonder did Kolyada ruin OAR's shot for team gold? Hope he can make amends in the free, fingers crossed for a solid performance there.

There's no question there. He was expected to finish ahead but instead dropped 5 points to Chan. Without that, it would have been pretty much impossible for Canada to have ended up with the runaway victory.

pearly

Record Breaker
The teams that you say aren't taking it seriously because it wasn't worth it for them to show up aren't good across all disciplines so it's not like they'd have a shot at winning anyways. That's the point of the team event. To show that you are strong in ALL disciplines. People not going or not taking it seriously doesn't change that.

I think the main point is that some countries sending their B team to their strongest events can change the outcome even for those top contenders.

Thought no 1: Right now the team event allows you to change only skaters in two disciplines. Imagine it required you to change all skaters in events where you have more than one entry. I think then there might be more grounds to claim dominance.

Thought no 2: Why is the team event format here so different from World Team Trophy?

Ziotic

Medalist
I think the main point is that some countries sending their B team to their strongest events can change the outcome even for those top contenders.

Thought no 1: Right now the team event allows you to change only skaters in two disciplines. Imagine it required you to change all skaters in events where you have more than one entry. I think then there might be more grounds to claim dominance.

Thought no 2: Why is the team event format here so different from World Team Trophy?

WTT heavily favours countries that are strong in singles as they earn twice the amount of points as dance/pairs.

The format used here is much more indicative of which country is strong in all disciplines.

I don't think it would be fair to make countries that earned more spots to have to use their subs. Unless you increased the additional athlete quota and made each country make 2 substitutions.

ChanClan

On the Ice

I'm not saying that the team event doesn't have it's issues because it does. It's got a lot. My point was that people are saying that you can't be the #1 figure skating country because they aren't #1 in all disciplines when the team competition is about how a country is overall.

pearly

Record Breaker
I don't think it would be fair to make countries that earned more spots to have to use their subs. Unless you increased the additional athlete quota and made each country make 2 substitutions.

I think it would make things more interesting. It would encourage some countries to send their top skaters to the event knowing that they could make up for the disciplines where they are not so great. If everyone sends their top skaters, whoever ends up first can say they truly outskated the best out there and that they not only have 4, but 8 overall great skaters/teams.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I think it would make things more interesting. It would encourage some countries to send their top skaters to the event knowing that they could make up for the disciplines where they are not so great. If everyone sends their top skaters, whoever ends up first can say they truly outskated the best out there and that they not only have 4, but 8 overall great skaters/teams.

I think the team event is nice when it is a chance for additional medals or dress rehearsal for the individual event if you will. Until (and if) it becomes very prestigious in itself, creating more rules and restrictions just seems foolish: some countries barely want to expend effort for it as is now.