2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 577 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Seruleane

Final Flight
At this point I‘m just hoping that alina can win worlds this year and happily retire after! ����*♀️

If that's what she wants (to win and then retire immediately after) then I am all for that! She's young and probably has other dreams to pursue. The world should be her oyster. However, if she wants to stay on and compete, then her fans are lucky :)

zenskate

Final Flight
Internet reactions
Medvedeva scores 197 (vs her 238 at Olys): oh my god, she is improving so much
Zagitova scores 222 (vs her 239 at Olys): she is done

Alina: Has a bad outing at worlds after a month of illness, meetings, and no practice time, and after winning everything last season.
Internet: She is done.

Alina: Falls at test skates.
Internet: See, she is done.
zenskate: This was the last time Alina has fallen this season. :)

Alina: Wins Nebelhorn. Sets new records in SP, FS, and overall.
Internet: Overscoring! CS doesn't matter! She is done!
zenskate: 5 GPs and 6 CSs later, Alina's records are still unbroken, except for the one Alina herself just broke :)

Alina: Wins Helsinki, with a 15 point lead.
Internet: Overscoring! URs! She is done!
Internet: (after NHK) Rika! Satoko! Liza! All of them scored over the 215 Alina had at Helsinki. Alina is so done!

Alina: Wins Rostelecom, with a 20+ point lead.

zenskate: Internet, excuse you very much. :laugh:

Generalizing this to future competitions...

Alina: Wins GPF.
Internet: She is done!

Alina: Wins Europeans, wins Worlds, wins everything.
Internet: She is done...she has to be done...when will she be done?

Alina: Wins Beijing 2022.
Internet: She is done. She is done, right?

:laugh2:

Amei

Record Breaker
While I would also love to see her team simplify her layout as clearly she is growing and trying to maintain her jumps (and doing a very admirable job) Eteri already stated in an interview that the goal was to continue challenging her and pushing her to her limits so she grows as a skater. There was no mention of winning every competition, though of course I'm sure she and her team have their eyes on Worlds. Also, the FS layout is completely new for Alina. When you think about how many skaters keep virtually the same jump and spin layout year after year to enable consistency, it's pretty amazing that Alina and her team are trying something so different. I think it's a good sign, and I hope it means she has longevity.

If they wanted her to grow as a skater I feel that they would lessen some of the transitions so she can actually finish some moves and would have given her some programs a different style from her programs last year.

Seruleane

Final Flight
If they wanted her to grow as a skater I feel that they would lessen some of the transitions so she can actually finish some moves and would have given her some programs a different style from her programs last year.

I think her programs are a different style from last year, and her team likes the busy, intricate transitions. It's not NA style, it's Eteri/Danil style.

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
I'm amazed at how Alina skates a near perfect FS program at Rostoleum cup but she and her coaches look disappointed, even if she just decided to not do two jumps she still would have been in first place since she had an astronomical lead lol .. Talk about perfectionist! Lol
She should be so proud of herself either way.

moriel

Record Breaker
Alina: Has a bad outing at worlds after a month of illness, meetings, and no practice time, and after winning everything last season.

zenskate: 5 GPs and 6 CSs later, Alina's records are still unbroken, except for the one Alina herself just broke :)

Internet: (after NHK) Rika! Satoko! Liza! All of them scored over the 215 Alina had at Helsinki. Alina is so done!

Add to that
Daniil: releases video of Alina training 4Lz in harness
Internet: she will get injured and retire

Daniil: releases video of Alina landing 4Lz in practice
Internet: she will never keep those jumps past puberty

Alina: Lands 4Lz in competition
Internet: she is so done

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
I'm amazed at how Alina skates a near perfect FS program at Rostoleum cup but she and her coaches look disappointed, even if she just decided to not do two jumps she still would have been in first place since she had an astronomical lead lol .. Talk about perfectionist! Lol
She should be so proud of herself either way.

I was also confused by that. Daniil's reaction to when she messed up and then her face at the kiss+cry had me concerned. She's under a lot of pressure. I get that it was a home crowd, but was wondering why they seemed as disappointed as they were.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Kaetlyn Osmond nods her head in agreement to this entire post, as it could’ve been written for her. :devil: ;)

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Just gotta say:

Polya’s GOEs for her double axel are atrocious. Her double axel is easily one of the best (if not the best) in the world and merits a +5 (height/distance, good body position, difficult entrance, good takeoff, effortless). Her GOE at Skate America was 0.85 and she got 5 +2s and 4 +3s. What are you thinking judges?! And at Rostelecom (home ground may I remind you) she got 0.90 or 3 +2s, 3 +3s, 2 +4s and 1 +1 (how does one even give a +1 to a double axel like that?)

Yes, Polya may struggle with rotations, but her 2A is beautiful and deserves so much better! She was also heavily underscored at both events but that’s another argument.

IceBallerina

On the Ice
Kaetlyn Osmond nods her head in agreement to this entire post, as it could’ve been written for her. :devil: ;)

I remember that.

I do not like saying skaters are "done" - ever. Even if it painfully obvious that they are. Because this sport much too full of surprises to even make that kind of statement. Kaetlyn is a very good example. Liza is the best one this season. I remember reading all the social media comments that she'd never win a gold medal again, or she'd never make it to the GPF. They said "she was done" and that "her time was over".

So the fact that people are saying this about Alina now is laughable. What Alina is doing right now despite her body changing is incredible. Even if Alina is shaky all season, I won't say she is done. Even with Evgenia, if she bombs in France I will not say she's done. Because, who knows? Alina could show up to worlds with several quads and just blow everyone away. Medvedeva could miss every podium this season but somehow come out flying with a quad salchow next season. I don't really follow American skaters, but Gracie gold could show up to next years (not this upcoming one) nationals and win it. Are these scenarios likely? Not really. Are they 100% impossible? No - maybe 99% so. But for that one percent chance I will not say a skater is done until they announce their official retirement.

Amei

Record Breaker
I was also confused by that. Daniil's reaction to when she messed up and then her face at the kiss+cry had me concerned. She's under a lot of pressure. I get that it was a home crowd, but was wondering why they seemed as disappointed as they were.

Yeah, is it a bit like Alena K. in Jrs that its about being perfect even though they win? It's concerning not that she's mentally weak but that she's taxing herself getting overly worked up over not achieving something, perfection, that will rarely if ever happen.

But the thing also is that she practices side by side with Anna/Alexandra who are putting down quads and she knows that they are competing against her at Nationals in a month and she doesn't have a quad right now so she's got to have as close to perfection on what she's gonna put down in order to win.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Yeah, is it a bit like Alena K. in Jrs that its about being perfect even though they win? It's concerning not that she's mentally weak but that she's taxing herself getting overly worked up over not achieving something, perfection, that will rarely if ever happen.

But the thing also is that she practices side by side with Anna/Alexandra who are putting down quads and she knows that they are competing against her at Nationals in a month and she doesn't have a quad right now so she's got to have as close to perfection on what she's gonna put down in order to win.

Alina never said this. Again, if everyone just reads Alina's interviews, we wouldn't have to make up reasons for why she's upset. She has said in few interviews already this season that she's not happy unless she performs to the best of her ability - not 100% perfect, but as well as she can. Doubling that flip was not performing as well as she can, she knows this. Regardless of scores or placements. Perhaps not everything is about winning to her.

It's so strange because there are comments like "Oh she's overs scored she's not going to think there's anything to work on anymore because she's perfect!" but at the same time, there's also "Why is she upset if she placed first and scored high why is she worrying about imperfections". It's the most contradicting statements (not saying they're from you, just overall about her skating).

But if you read her interviews, you'll find that what bothers her a lot is the reaction from people to her mistakes. Eteri said she was very upset by what people were saying about her when she fell at test skates and it brought Alina to tears. People saying she is done, she was a one hit wonder, or that she didn't deserve her accomplishments. So based on her interviews, I would say she is upset to disappoint herself, her coaching team, but mostly her fans (and non-fans). Not about the pressure of training with Anna and Sasha.

Overall, it could just be her personality. She doesn't have to scream for joy every time she wins. She didn't even have a crazy reaction when she won olympics. She might just be more mellow.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved Yulia’s reaction when she won Rostelecom Cup with errors. She was not impressed with herself and showed it. I don’t think she even agreed with the score :laugh:

https://youtu.be/6nCyIJXli10?t=5m54s

190 wasn’t a terrible score back then;)

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
My heart breaks for Polina. Every time I see her step on the ice she has this beautiful presence. Really nice lines. And the jumps that she lands, OMG it looks like she covers half the rink. I really liked the fs dress. But she really looked in pain. :(

DougDorsey

On the Ice
I'll be heading to the Grand Prix Final in Vancouver, and I'm really looking forward, but will there be a more competitive, talent-laden tournament this year than next month's Russian Championships?

True, the Grand Prix Final will have more talent overall, but split between two levels, whereas the Russian Championships will have all but a few of the best skaters in the world going head-to-head. Alina, Zhenya, Liza, Sasha, Anna, Alena, Sofia, Masha, Polina. (Too bad Kamila is still a year and a half away from the cutoff!)

Could it get more exciting? Anyone know if will be streamed live and accessible to folks in the States?

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
In the Ladies pre game chat for GP france i posted what outcomes whould put which skaters in the final. I am going to repost what Medvedeva and Konstantinova whoul have to do to put themselves in the final.

Konstantinova is guaranteed to be in the final if she is in the top 2. A third place would put her at 24pts and in the first tie breaker she would score the same as Sakamoto and Samodurova. Then it comes down to scores. Depending on who is first and second she will either need a minimum score of 213.76 to outscore Sakamoto or (which she will need if Medvedeva and Kihira is the top two or if Miahara/Tenell wins and either Kihira/Medvedeva is second) 199.15 to outscore Samodurova.

Medvedeva is guaranteeded to be in if she wins. In the case where she is second it will come down to the tie breakers. If Kihira wins she needs to score at least 198.81 to outscore Samodurova. If Kihira is third and either of the other three wins she needs to score 213.42 to outscore Sakamoto.

My gut feeling tells me that Kihira and Medvedeva will snap up the last two places for the final but Konstantinova has a good shot at making it.
I also think (sadly) that Samodurova wont make the final, she is currently 5th in the standings and is likely to be outplaced by at least two of (Kihira, Medvedeva, Konstantinova, Miahara and Tenell)