2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 575 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

melgirl25

Medalist
Polina just breaks my heart. I saw her land all of her jumps in practice, and land her jumps in the warm up. What happens? It would make me so happy for her to have an error free program. I know she can do the damn jumps, for some reason, she-what?-loses focus? Nerves? IDK Mako was having problems yesterday in practice, (so I wasn't surprised to see her problems), but Polina did a complete run through of her FS with the jumps...and it was near perfect. ARG.

Her triple lutz was beautiful. To me it looked like she had some hang time in the beginning.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I just realized there will be a fierce battle for the GPF at the GP in France. Konstantinova, Medvedeva, Kihira, Mihara and Tennell will all be fighting for what seems to be 2 places? And if Samodurova skates well tomorrow she might be in the mix too.

bobbob

Medalist
Honestly, I have some great difficulty with having faith in Zagitova being able to jump quads. She can't Lutz like Trusova where she begins rotating immediately, so Shcherbakova would have to be the benchmark. And not only does Shcherbakova jump far higher than I've seen Zagitova jump, Shcherbakova also has the fastest rotation speed which Zagitova just has never demonstrated. Either Zagitova has some untapped reserves we've not even come close to seeing or ... The chances are low. I'll believe it when I see a decent attempt, I guess. Until then... Probably not even worth consideration. It just takes too much.

She needs to make improvements certainly...but I think it is more likely for her than any other currently skating senior (as your metrics seem to indicate). I mean at this stage the burden of proof is certainly on the skater so of course we are going to say the chances are low until there is video evidence. But that is not a Zagitova thing...if you are a pessimist when it comes to quads that is fine but your argument can basically sub out Zagitova for any other girl's name. Quads are hard. Especially for girls who are in the senior ranks/not like 13.

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight
Guys, you are really in a hurry to discuss Alina's quads.

Daniil said to answer reporter's question about quads:

"Well, we actually tried it recently with harness. Sergey Viktorovich raised her up, of course, during the season it must be safe. We tried 4Lo and 4Lz. We will seriously condemn it at the end of the season. This is no time for risks."

so, only after months, coaches and Alina will discuss it, and may be the decision to try work on quads will be accepted.

kallirroe

On the Ice
Guys, you are really in a hurry to discuss Alina's quads.

Daniil said to answer reporter's question about quads:

"Well, we actually tried it recently with harness. Sergey Viktorovich raised her up, of course, during the season it must be safe. We tried 4Lo and 4Lz. We will seriously condemn it at the end of the season. This is no time for risks."

so, only after months, coaches and Alina will discuss it, and may be the decision to try work on quads will be accepted.

Hello , does anyone have a link for Rostelecom Cup ? I am in Europe and isu live streaming is restricted :(

Scott512

Record Breaker
I just realized there will be a fierce battle for the GPF at the GP in France. Konstantinova, Medvedeva, Kihira, Mihara and Tennell will all be fighting for what seems to be 2 places? And if Samodurova skates well tomorrow she might be in the mix too.

They need to expand the field for the GPF.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
And when she doesn’t land them successfully, it’s because she’s short of rotation and falls instead of hooking her landing like most skaters. You’re seriously showing your bias if your argument that Alina couldn’t have much in reserve is that her triples aren’t all that impressive. Anna isn’t exactly immune to underrotations on triples.
Well, it was obviously about the successful jumps. In general, Zagitova also has a completely different aerial rotation which is far closer to Medvedeva's than Anna's, Trusova's or Akatieva's. In my eyes, it's far more realistic to assume skaters wouldn't be able to pull quads out of thin air than that they could.

... And "my bias is showing"? Just how? I remind you that Anna's actually able to jump quads.

neusw

On the Ice
Agreed. Why not 10 though? How many per discipline take part in the regular events like fee 1 in Moscow this weekend? I know it's a lot per discipline.

Honestly I always thought it was silly that the 2nd most important international event of the season (to me, at least) was over in an hour per discipline. Like, you can afford to hire the arena for a bit longer than that...

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I actually asked Ted Barton about this, he said, Nope, never going to happen.

Did he say why? It makes me sad that either Zhenya or Sofia (or Kaori but she's not Russian) won't qualify to the final, or that in juniors two silvers wasn't enough for Anna Tarusina. Also - I think Tarusina is probably 8/9/10 on the ladies power list.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Honestly I always thought it was silly that the 2nd most important international event of the season (to me, at least) was over in an hour per discipline. Like, you can afford to hire the arena for a bit longer than that...

Over in an hour per discipline says it all. Ridiculous.