2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 856 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
It's not about places; it's about scores.

If it’s about score zhenia had a better score than Alina as a silver medalist but zhenia was in a better shape and if you want to compare scores Alina had better marks than zhenia this year.

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
Plot twist: Zhenya was only invited to compete here for RusFed to see how she's doing, Sofia + Alina + Liza go to Worlds, Stasya + Maria to Universiade, and Zhenya ends her season on a high note and starts preparing for the next one. Happy end!

Honestly I will send Liza at worlds and zhenia at universiade and both girls at team trophy

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
Surely all Liza had to do here was prove she was on the right track and is going to worlds, right? I mean she was head and shoulders above everyone, except Alina, all season long it would seem crazy to send someone who hasn't had a single clean competition this season over her.

Besides she's only recovering from illness, not injury, and from what she showed here a month is more then enough to get back full strength. She also doesn't have the "baggage" Evgenia has currently so surely that makes her a safer bet. Unless it is politics and they not only personally like Evgenia better but also don't want two Mishin girls at worlds.

Liza was more consistent, it would a risk to send Zhenia but both girls deserve to be at worlds

sx98423

On the Ice
:rolleye: i doubt many of the people who say alina shouldn't be going are actually worried about keeping 3 spots or her "downward trajectory", if you don't like her and don't want her to go to worlds just be honest and say it's because you like other skaters better.

if alina skated today and lost to zhenya and liza she would probably be off the team, but she didn't compete. lets be real, alina's spot at worlds was pretty much confirmed the moment she won gold at the olympics. unless she suddenly forgot how to jump triples there is no reason to leave your OGM at home if she's still relatively competitive. rusfed didn't invite her to compete today even after her disastrous fs at euros probably because they didn't want to risk the possibility of her losing. the message they sent was that the OGM will be going to worlds regardless of any bombing or downwards trajectory. maybe after watching zhenya and liza today rusfed will reconsider alina's place on the team but seems unlikely to me.

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
:rolleye: i doubt many of the people who say alina shouldn't be going are actually worried about keeping 3 spots or her "downward trajectory", if you don't like her and don't want her to go to worlds just be honest and say it's because you like other skaters better.

if alina skated today and lost to zhenya and liza she would probably be off the team, but she didn't compete. lets be real, alina's spot at worlds was pretty much confirmed the moment she won gold at the olympics. unless she suddenly forgot how to jump triples there is no reason to leave your OGM at home if she's still relatively competitive. rusfed didn't invite her to compete today even after her disastrous fs at euros probably because they didn't want to risk the possibility of her losing. the message they sent was that the OGM will be going to worlds regardless of any bombing or downwards trajectory. maybe after watching zhenya and liza today rusfed will reconsider alina's place on the team but seems unlikely to me.

I think it’s more because she was the only one last year who secured 3 spots. Stasya was a mess and Masha’s results were not enough.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Plot twist: Zhenya was only invited to compete here for RusFed to see how she's doing, Sofia + Alina + Liza go to Worlds, Stasya + Maria to Universiade, and Zhenya ends her season on a high note and starts preparing for the next one. Happy end!

Is that actually what has occurred? Or wishful thinking?

vitamintea

On the Ice
I don't know what it is about the Russian ladies that brings out legitimate spite towards skaters like Alina and Evgenia, which is almost unseen of in the discussions about the Japanese ladies. Look at last year, an Olympic year. Wakaba and Mai each had legitimate and strong arguments for being sent but in the end sometimes the fed just have to make a tough decision and move forward. There's no vitriol about that in the Japanese thread about who was or wasn't selected. Let's all just tone it down a notch.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Evgenia is one of my favorite skaters. I am beyond happy that she seems to be finding herself again. I saw a much more confident skater today. That said- Liza deserves the spot. Had she been healthy at Nationals and skated well we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

I do hope they send Evgenia to WTT though, I think that would be a fair reward.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
Evgenia is one of my favorite skaters. I am beyond happy that she seems to be finding herself again. I saw a much more confident skater today. That said- Liza deserves the spot. Had she been healthy at Nationals and skated well we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

I do hope they send Evgenia to WTT though, I think that would be a fair reward.

I'm totally okay with that. Liza deserves the world spot. She should have won today, but I think handing Zhenya a win wasn't such a bad thing if its about momentum for next year. She's faced such hatred this year it was a nice way to say she's still competitive and valued by Rusfed.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
But you are forgeting that Sofia was the one benefiting the most of Lizas injury/not competing at Russian nats. If Tutk was competing there she would probably have been sent at Euros together with Konstantinova and Alina (who both placed higher than Sofia there), and Sofia would not be at Euros in first place. Sending her to Worlds would be dependable of skating here against Zhenya and Konstantinova and im not sure she would have won. Nothing against Sofia, but knowing the facts how she got a chance to compete at Euros in first place, and her average score of this season, im not so sure she is the best choice... I think both Alina and Liza are, and the third spot should be result of Sofia and Zhenya's duel...

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I was just about to say this. Not sure why Euros became the end all be all. But this idea that Alina coming in second at Euros means she's done and on a downward trajectory, when last year no one would have made the argument to send someone else to the olympics in place of Zhenya because she only came in second at Euros.

Did Zhenya fall, underrotate, pop and doublefoot her jumps?

If Alina was not hosed down in generous PCS she would never be second.

One has to wonder how her PCS would look like this season had Zhenya won that important medal....

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
It's not about places; it's about scores.

But at the end of the day it is about places. You win if you place higher than others in the competition, not who has had better scores at other events. Alina placed second among all competitors at Euros, that should mean something even if her performance was overall poor. And she also happens to have the highest scores of the season overall. Why would you send someone else who has had even lower scores this season, and didn't compete at Euros, because they seem on an upward trajectory? And I don't get why two consecutive bad FS suddenly means Alina's done and can't recover.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight

One has to wonder how her PCS would look like this season had Zhenya won that important medal....

Because Zhenya has never benefited from inflated PCS? It doesn't matter what could have been, it matters who is earning it as of now and Alina is getting the bump. Alina's PCS may not always be deserved and it will likely not remain if she continues to struggle, but she's still getting it from the judges so why would you ignore that?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Her PCS was high, even before she had won the Olympics, though.

Ziotic

Medalist
But at the end of the day it is about places. You win if you place higher than others in the competition, not who has had better scores at other events. Alina placed second among all competitors at Euros, that should mean something even if her performance was overall poor. And she also happens to have the highest scores of the season overall. Why would you send someone else who has had even lower scores this season, and didn't compete at Euros, because they seem on an upward trajectory? And I don't get why two consecutive bad FS suddenly means Alina's done and can't recover.

You just contradicted yourself.

Alina placed second, that’s what matters not the score

Alina has highest score overall of the season, so why would you send someone with lower scores.
Maybe don’t just pick facts that suit your argument.

Either the score matters or the placement does.

Lachinka

Spectator
Can we stop for a moment and appreciate the fact that apart from the medals and the diploma, the girls were also awarded with lovely flower wreaths? I personally love the idea, I think they should do it at EVERY competition.

Liza looked gorgeous with hers.
GPF vibes here :)

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
You just contradicted yourself.

Alina placed second, that’s what matters not the score

Alina has highest score overall of the season, so why would you send someone with lower scores.
Maybe don’t just pick facts that suit your argument.

Either the score matters or the placement does.

My point was that by your logic - that the scores are the only thing that matter - then Alina STILL deserves to go. Alina had been first or second at every major international event including the most recent one. And she placed second of eligible seniors at Rusnats. I think that placement means she rightfully deserves 1 of 3 spots. If you make the argument that only scores matter, not ones placement at recent events, Alina also has earned her spot.