2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 858 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

starlight97

Final Flight
Did anyone else have the impression that Evgenia looked super slow?
I get that she has problems with her jumps, as was to be expected with her body changing (she literally turned from a freakishly skinny little girl into a woman with curves over the course of a year wth) but she really has lost her expression and flow as well...
Her whole interpretation of that tango was staring into the distance with an open mouth. I'm not saying bring back the miming but I missed her fire.
I'm looking forward to seeing a new Evgenia next season

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
Well... After cup of russia ... who will be part of WT... I really think every options are viable...

Alina --> olympic champion ... even after her failure in the europeans ... it's the only that with a clean program can truly win another clean program ---> but I think she needs a break ... it will be a bold choice not sending her
Medvedeva --> she is rising ... well I think one more competition in russia and she will be back with her consistency ... Even with falls she will get PCS .. and with a clean program she will medal ... and she is a fighter ... If she is not nominate it's still good for her because her last competition was a win ...
Liza --> she is the only one with a 3A ... bad luck being sick ... well ... she deserves the spot but medvedeva beat her ... and that's the problem ...
Sofia --> she got lucky winning the european championship ... and for that she deserves a spot ... but she never felt the pressure of being someone that can medal or win ... how she will respond to that .... and she probably even with a 2 clean programs will not win ...

So my dream team would be ... Liza, Medvedeva and Alina ( sorry sofia but i wish a battle of queens) ... i think it will be the better choice ... we will have a Orser vs Eteri ... and probably a better Medvedeva ... and a fight Alina vs Medvedeva puts less pressure in Liza ...

It would be interesting to see them competing again together in an international event but I really think Liza deserves this spot. Zhenia only wins by a small marging.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Couldn't find Konstantinova and Gubanova's LP videos. After watching Evgenia's LP, I feel almost all of her jumps have shaky landings. She is trying very hard not to fall, but the jump qualities are bad. Between Liza and her, Liza is a much better choice. The advantage of PCS of Evgenia is not visible (no matter how judges score them) here in this competition to say the least, and Liza has much better jumps. Even Evgenia's spins are not up to the quality she used to have.
Sending Sofia, Liza and Alina should be the right decision. Sofia is a safe top 6, and one of Liza and Alina should be around there two on their worst day.

oly2018

Final Flight
I get that she has problems with her jumps, as was to be expected with her body changing (she literally turned from a freakishly skinny little girl into a woman with curves over the course of a year wth) but she really has lost her expression and flow as well...
Her whole interpretation of that tango was staring into the distance with an open mouth. I'm not saying bring back the miming but I missed her fire.

I got the same impression. IMO, she is being pushed too hard, too fast post Olympics. Her skating seems very labored. The jumps do not give off a sense of security, the spins are not as good as they used to be, and the program itself is lacking. I want to see her succeed and I wish there was more focus on improving every aspect of her skating, instead of making teams this season. On the flip side, I kind of understand the thinking because this could be her last shot with all the juniors coming up.

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
Couldn't find Konstantinova and Gubanova's LP videos. After watching Evgenia's LP, I feel almost all of her jumps have shaky landings. She is trying very hard not to fall, but the jump qualities are bad. Between Liza and her, Liza is a much better choice. The advantage of PCS of Evgenia is not visible (no matter how judges score them) here in this competition to say the least, and Liza has much better jumps. Even Evgenia's spins are not up to the quality she used to have.
Sending Sofia, Liza and Alina should be the right decision. Sofia is a safe top 6, and one of Liza and Alina should be around there two on their worst day.

The GPF team has three consistent girls, they proved it during the saison both Liza and Alina’s marks >200 except once and Sofia is on the rise.

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
I got the same impression. IMO, she is being pushed too hard, too fast post Olympics. Her skating seems very labored. The jumps do not give off a sense of security, the spins are not as good as they used to be, and the program itself is lacking. I want to see her succeed and I wish there was more focus on improving every aspect of her skating, instead of making teams this season. On the flip side, I kind of understand the thinking because this could be her last shot with all the juniors coming up.

We can see the difference between Eteri and Orser programs. Zhenia is slower and less rushed.

readernick

Medalist
Medvedeva was very gracious in a post-match interview, saying that she doesn't mind if Liza is picked for the World team in the end. It is believed that either Medvedeva or Tuktamysheva will get the third ticket.

“I want to say that I have great respect for Liza Tuktamysheva and in general all the girls who performed today. I think it sounds bad, but I see that Liza actually possesses a great desire and many forces in her skating. Liza, thank you so much for being with us, continue to move all of us forward and fall in love with figure skating. Honestly, I think Liza deserved to go to the World Cup. I will be very happy if fate is like that. I, too, was in a very difficult situation during the Olympic season. I know what it is. Let's all support each other and send love everywhere - to the left, right, up, down, around us. Any positive emotions will save the world. Who does not like it? - goodbye.”

Med is such a nice honest person.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Tuktik not going is understandable she must be exhausted and said dropping out was Mishins decicion. Now Mr Liza has to go alone...

If Liza wants to go to Worlds she absolutely should, no questions asked. If she can't because injury then okay but it's up to her or the coach to say this, not someone else.

The judging makes me believe RusFed (or TAT) really wants Zhenya at Worlds, otherwise she would have not won with that shaky free skate. I don't know what they want to prove, they're objectively pushing a weaker skater right now.

I'm not confident Evgenia would skate two clean programs at Worlds, plus all her issues with the spins that are still there, and i'm not even sure scores would be this high there, on the other hand Liza technically has never bombed a program this season, yes she can fall on a 3a but then skate clean the rest of the program.

Liza is arguargbly a better skater than even Alina Zagitova right now.

katymay

Medalist

I think 'next year' will be very difficult, and not just for Evgenia, but Alina as well. I would love to see both girl medal, go out on a high and retire. Liza is a different story, with the 3A she is competitive with 3AJuniors , Rika and others who are able to land a quad and/or triple axel. Both girls should capitalize on their popularity, while they can. I think Russian Nationals was a pretty clear picture of the way the wind is blowing.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Maybe if she wasn’t so underscored for her performances she wouldn’t feel as compelled to over perform ;)

Well, just saying that I‘m glad I‘m not the one who has to make the decision. I don‘t envy Rusfed, whatever they do someone will inevitably be unhappy. Personally, I don‘t care as much. I will cheer all of them on whoever goes because I‘m a fan of all of the ladies that are considered for the spots.

About Alina: I‘ll imagine Rusfed is watching her training. If her spot was in danger, they would have sent her to the Cup Final to compete. That‘s how I see it, without talking about “realistic scoring potential“, “only chance to beat Rika“ or “medaled everywhere this season“. GP shouldn‘t matter too much at this point, it‘s too far away now and a lot can change. Alina isn‘t in the shape she was in when she won all the competitions, including when she medaled at GPF. Does that mean I think she should lose her spot? No, not at all. And I don‘t think it will happen either, given what rusfed has done in the past. My opinion hasn‘t changed, this was a competition for the third spot. Now that Zhenya and Liza are so close, it’s a bit more difficult but I doubt it will change the final outcome drastically. But we will see anyway what rusfed does. I certainly won‘t be surprised by anything anymore. :laugh:

And btw, not that this changes anything but @flanker: Zhenya actually has a medal from the GP circuit. Bronze, SCI. Just so we can keep to the facts.

My point was that by your logic - that the scores are the only thing that matter - then Alina STILL deserves to go. Alina had been first or second at every major international event including the most recent one. And she placed second of eligible seniors at Rusnats. I think that placement means she rightfully deserves 1 of 3 spots. If you make the argument that only scores matter, not ones placement at recent events, Alina also has earned her spot.

Sugar this cannot be debated. Thank you for facts.

Alina is #1 Sofia #2 and rusfed choice #3 and if Liza didn't get pneumonia she would be on the team for sure. Thats all folks.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If Liza wants to go to Worlds she absolutely should, no questions asked. If she can't because injury then okay but it's up to her or the coach to say this, not someone else.

If Liza is not selected, it really means the entire GP/Senior B season is meaningless when it comes to making the Russian world team. She had 4 golds and 2 bronzes this season, so for her to not make the World team because she got edged in one domestic event would be unfortunate, particularly when it isn't even clear that she should have lost.

readernick

Medalist
If Liza is not selected, it really means the entire GP/Senior B season is meaningless when it comes to making the Russian world team. She had 4 golds and 2 bronzes this season, so for her to not make the World team because she got edged in one domestic event would be unfortunate, particularly when it isn't even clear that she should have lost.

But,I think it is meaningless in the Russian fed, right? Sergei always does well in international competition on the GP and that never influences Russia feds decision in men’s selection. They go by most recent results. With that in mind, I am not sure anyone other than Sofia deserves to go... I have no strong opinion about who should be on the team they are all capable of being on the podium or bombing ( Liza seems more stable but without 3A she won’t be high in the standings) it is not an easy decision for the fed to make.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Maybe if she wasn’t so underscored for her performances she wouldn’t feel as compelled to over perform ;)

Well, just saying that I‘m glad I‘m not the one who has to make the decision. I don‘t envy Rusfed, whatever they do someone will inevitably be unhappy. Personally, I don‘t care as much. I will cheer all of them on whoever goes because I‘m a fan of all of the ladies that are considered for the spots.

About Alina: I‘ll imagine Rusfed is watching her training. If her spot was in danger, they would have sent her to the Cup Final to compete. That‘s how I see it, without talking about “realistic scoring potential“, “only chance to beat Rika“ or “medaled everywhere this season“. GP shouldn‘t matter too much at this point, it‘s too far away now and a lot can change. Alina isn‘t in the shape she was in when she won all the competitions, including when she medaled at GPF. Does that mean I think she should lose her spot? No, not at all. And I don‘t think it will happen either, given what rusfed has done in the past. My opinion hasn‘t changed, this was a competition for the third spot. Now that Zhenya and Liza are so close, it’s a bit more difficult but I doubt it will change the final outcome drastically. But we will see anyway what rusfed does. I certainly won‘t be surprised by anything anymore. :laugh:

And btw, not that this changes anything but @flanker: Zhenya actually has a medal from the GP circuit. Bronze, SCI. Just so we can keep to the facts.

I think 'next year' will be very difficult, and not just for Evgenia, but Alina as well. I would love to see both girl medal, go out on a high and retire. Liza is a different story, with the 3A she is competitive with 3AJuniors , Rika and others who are able to land a quad and/or triple axel. Both girls should capitalize on their popularity, while they can. I think Russian Nationals was a pretty clear picture of the way the wind is blowing.

3a still have to do it on the senior level. I think they will but it won't be as easy as in the juniors.

malya

On the Ice

Why should this be her last shot? The goal is long term sucess.
If she spends an actual offseason training at TCC for preparation (she was injured + on a lot of shows last season) everything you mentioned should improve greatly with work on the basics. They also need to work on the new programs in more detail and if the story works the words (elements) also come easier with confidence :)
Just because you can't match Trusova's BV does not mean you are not competitive. She, Alina, Sofia, Tuktik, Stasya... All have a shot next season with GPs!
Who expected Sofia's shot this season?

I hope Zhenya does not think so.

Manitou

Medalist
But do you think it‘s fair to use a 16 year old girl to send a message to her coach?

Sometimes it's the only way.
And it has nothing to do with sending a message for the sake of sending a message, but with the long term direction of the Russian ladies skating. If they are OK with exploiting meteoric kids to grab as many medals as they can run away with, then fine, do it Eteri way. But if there is anybody with any kind of wisdom over there I bet they might be thinking about possibly going the Mishin way.

Manitou

Medalist
lol i would say that lilbet rotating a quad in competition makes it seem like eteri knows exactly what she's doing with senior skaters. everything alina has said points to mental not physical issues with competition, that's not really an issue eteri has the power to fix

Not familiar with the local jargon, does "lilbet" refer to Tursynabeva? If yes, then the example doesn't count. I don't want to elaborate why an adult woman in a little child body is not a good example for anything, as I already received an infringement notification for that.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
Why should this be her last shot? The goal is long term sucess.
If she spends an actual offseason training at TCC for preparation (she was injured + on a lot of shows last season) everything you mentioned should improve greatly with work on the basics. They also need to work on the new programs in more detail and if the story works the words (elements) also come easier with confidence :)
Just because you can't match Trusova's BV does not mean you are not competitive. She, Alina, Sofia, Tuktik, Stasya... All have a shot next season with GPs!
Who expected Sofia's shot this season?

I hope Zhenya does not think so.
Zhenya has always stated her goal is Olympic gold in 2022. I don’t think her goal is another world title before the 3A emerge (as nice as that might be). She has always been playing the long game. I think it makes sense for her to start working toward next season.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden

Yes, it seems that the GP results don't matter whatsoever. You have to go back to 2003 to find an example. That year Volchkova finished 3rd at the GPF, had pneumonia during Naionals, but were selected to Europeans and Worlds anyway. 3rd from Nationals was Basova who would have been the choice if RusFed had followed the Nationals results.