2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 131 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
If your sole priority is to maximize spots for juniors and seniors, then you'd send Kihira to Junior Nationals and Mihara to Seniors in her place.
Pretty sure they could secure three spots in both with that arrangement.

Wow this would have been a dramatic selection.:laugh:

Less dramatic, if i had to give the spot to a senior, i would have given the spot to Mako.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think I must have missed some information on Lambiel other than he has been coaching and doing choreography for top skaters. But I checked Yuna's both programs this season are done by Tom Dickson. So Lambiel must have been involved in Yuna's coaching on some capacity to sit next to her at Kiss & Cry.

I don't know about that, but I really think he should rent an apartment in Japan (has he already?). He will be staying here almost every month this year.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yuna did mention in her crowdfunding page methinks that she wanted to train abroad. Maybe Lambiel is a part of it? She'd become teammates with Koshiro Shimada :D A friendly face all way over in Switzerland...

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
I think I must have missed some information on Lambiel other than he has been coaching and doing choreography for top skaters. But I checked Yuna's both programs this season are done by Tom Dickson. So Lambiel must have been involved in Yuna's coaching on some capacity to sit next to her at Kiss & Cry.

I think it was simply the case that Coach Hamada is busy with her two students who are training for WC, and Coach Yamato happened to be at Winter Universiade with another skater (Nakamura Shu). And Hamada's top skaters were training with Lambiel at his training base earlier during the season..was that during the summer time? So most likely Lambiel was asked to step-in to oversee Yuna at competition this time.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I didn't know they were training at Lambiel's training base (in Switzerland?)
I think it was simply the case that Coach Hamada is busy with her two students who are training for WC, and Coach Yamato happened to be at Winter Universiade with another skater (Nakamura Shu). And Hamada's top skaters were training with Lambiel at his training base earlier during the season..was that during the summer time? So most likely Lambiel was asked to step-in to oversee Yuna at competition this time.

champs

Final Flight
The entire Team Hamada (eighteen of them) were invited by Stephane and stayed in Switzerland and had a summer camp for three weeks around mid August while the Kansai Univ rink (the home rink of Team Hamada, Team Nagamitsu and Team Oda) was closed, and Mie Hamada took care of Stephane's students there while he was off to ice shows. Ghislain Briand was also there giving jump lessons there during Team Hamada's summer camp. He visits Stephane's school often and Stephane visits TCC often as well according to Mie, who also said she and her skaters had had dinner that Stephane cooked while staying in Tronto) Ghislain was also at the Kansai Univ rink giving jump lessons back in June. (The source is Shu Nakamura's interview on Quadruple Axel 2019 as well as the episode in the TV show that Shizuka Arakawa hosts in which Mie was the guest.)

Here are a few photos by skaters from Stephane's school:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnRKU_4BPyK/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnBY7tNACjw/

kalee

On the Ice
This. The JGP spots Yuna saved are so important.

If Yuna didn't place 4th Korea would have taken the 14 JGP spots and Japan will be left with 7. So I disagree that sending Yuna wasn't worth it. It's not ideal, but her placement made sure that girls like Nana, Wakana and many more will have the maximum opportunity to compete in the JGP next season. Yuhana and Tomoe were unfortunate to not have a great competition- unfortunately they also compromised the JGP spots with their placements.

Not only that Yuna saved the 7 JGP spots for Japan -- she also gained 6 places from #24 to #18 in World Standings which puts her in a safer place to qualify for next year's GP by being in the top 24 WS.
With Yuna in, Japan will have 7 skaters in the top 24 WS or top 24 SB (Kaori, Satoko, Mai, and Rika on both WS and SB; Mako on SB only; and Yuna and Wakaba on WS only). Plenty of room to still give all their qualifying skaters 2 GP spots. Also, none of the remaining current juniors have even gotten near 190 during the season so Yuna has been the best bet to get a good placement here and create a win-win outcome.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Poor Marin. I know communication is tough for her at the moment since Raf said she pretty much doesn't understand him at all (she skates yolo at practice, apparently :laugh:) but I really hope something can be done on that end since it would be a shame if their partnership ended without any results. Not to mention I'd love to see her in more B-comps. I blame that terrible fall at Skate America for breaking her focus... and my heart! At least from her Instagram she seems to be having a blast in California. I wouldn't mind if she kept her programs from this year either, because neither seem like they got a chance to flourish imo (though she should have kept the original SP dress grr!). Oh well... ganba, Marin-chan! :hap10:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
she's #31 in SB list, with some skaters above her still not senior eligible there is high chance she will get at least 1, or maybe NHK will choose her

Also Russia can only have a maximum of 18 slots. And 16 ladies on the list ahead of Marin are Russian, so not only are there at least 2-4 that may stay in juniors, but it's also likely some of the Russian seniors won't get GP invitations. As far as Japan is concerned, I do think Higuchi--who is behind Marin on the SB list--will probably stay top 24 on the WS list and have a guaranteed berth. So that combined with Higuchi's much higher result at Nationals implies that Marin will likely be 8th rather than 7th among the Japanese ladies as far as who is prioritized for invitations. And Yuhana Yokoi has an argument as well as far as the host spot is concerned (her SB is only one spot below Marin's and her placement at Nationals was also much higher) so there might be a bit of a battle for the NHK spot over the summer if those ladies don't grab 1-2 initial invites.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
she's #31 in SB list, with some skaters above her still not senior eligible there is high chance she will get at least 1, or maybe NHK will choose her

Good news I don't know if Japan will get the 18 max spots. Since there is at least 9 girls in the mix (Satoko, Rika, Kaori, Mai, Mako, Wakaba, Yuna, Marin, Yuhana) Marin seems like the one in the worst position to get two GPs if there is not enough spots.
I think Yuhana have a slight higher chance to get the host pick. Fed likes to value nats results. She will be at least in the closed competition that fed organized last summer and where Rika won the spot. If Marin show up with solid 3-3s and rotated jumps next season it will be interesting.
I wonder if Yuna Aoki will definitely be senior next season. If she moves to seniors she can only expect challengers i guess. Her Bavarian open score doesn't count for SB list i think.