2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 240 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

macy

Record Breaker
Courtney is far too good to be skating like that at Nationals. She is one of a few Americans with multiple GP medals, and has had quite a few more 4th place finishes on the GP series. If you look at her entire senior career, which includes GP events, Senior B's, and one 4CC, Nationals is always her worst placement. Given her international results, Hicks should be inside the top 5 every year, but she's only been once in seven tries. I'm not sure what the problem is with her not being able to bring good form to Nationals.

i don't think the move to Kori was a good one. She does/did need help with artistry, yes, but she also needs major help with her jump technique, and i wouldn't exactly call Kori a good technical coach. Courtney has had the same technique as far back as i can remember, even way back when she was competing at intermediate. she can't control the landings and they're super "inside the circle." i don't know if it's just too late for her to fix this because it would take a very long time to correct.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder how long it will be before the Chinese Federation comes a knocking at their door.

I guarantee the USFSA will make sure the Chinese Federation doesn't come near her or her father. She will be more protected then government state secrets. :laugh:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
If USFS doesn’t send the most competitive international pair to Worlds regardless of Nationals results we may never ever even get 2 slots back. Which would be K/K if he weren’t injured. I’ll say again I wish they picked teams like USA Gymnastics does. Though Lord only knows USA Gymnastics is no sort of organization to be looked up to. But we did get to be a world gymnastics power by sending the strongest teams.

Yes, IF K/K didn’t have injuries, they MIGHT be the most competitive pair (although their failure to be Top 10 at 2018 Worlds is why there is just one spot in 2019). But since they are indeed injured, USFSA has to send the most competitive pair that is healthy enough to skate. That would be Cain/LeDuc, who by far had the best SBS jumps, as well as huge throws & a twist that gets bigger each time they compete.

bobbob

Medalist
Yes, IF K/K didn’t have injuries, they MIGHT be the most competitive pair (although their failure to be Top 10 at 2018 Worlds is why there is just one spot in 2019). But since they are indeed injured, USFSA has to send the most competitive pair that is healthy enough to skate. That would be Cain/LeDuc, who by far had the best SBS jumps, as well as huge throws & a twist that gets bigger each time they compete.

I wonder why they don't wait under Four Continents. I don't know why USFS is so eager to announce the team right after Nationals. Allows the teams to keep on improving and watch and see.

I think Kayne/O'Shea have a better chance at finishing in the top 10 and regaining two spots. Most people have Kayne/O'Shea above Cain/LeDuc in their Four Continents predictions. But at the same time, it is hard to justify sending Kayne/O'Shea after the Nationals result. Maybe after FC, if they skated much better than C/L, it could be justified to send them.

bobbob

Medalist
As to keeping three spots this year...yeah it's not likely. Both of them would have to beat one of the three Japanese and three Russians, and everyone else in the field.

concorde

Medalist
I guarantee the USFSA will make sure the Chinese Federation doesn't come near her or her father. She will be more protected then government state secrets. :laugh:

The USFS did release Alex P (who now skaters for Switzerland) and she was 3rd after the short at Europeans.

I expect that China would also pay for ALL of Alyssa's training, not give her partial funding.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
The whole thing was amazing and confusing. I was stunned seasoned women in their 20s were beaten by a 13 year old phenom. But Alysa deserved the gold. I sure hope she can handle the hype and fame that she will receive for years. It will come and won't stop. Her team must be ready for this.

On a side note how does Alysa who is too young for the grand Prix circuit and who won't be on the senior circuit until 2021qualify for senior Nationals?

The same way three juniors medaled at Russian senior nationals? The age rules for national and international competitions are different.

frida80

Record Breaker
The USFS did release Alex P (who now skaters for Switzerland) and she was 3rd after the short at Europeans.

I expect that China would also pay for ALL of Alyssa's training, not give her partial funding.

Well, Lexi didn't win Junior nationals. She placed fifth. And the US didn't appreciate her. It would've been different if she started to land that quad.

princessalica

Final Flight
Well, Lexi didn't win Junior nationals. She placed fifth. And the US didn't appreciate her. It would've been different if she started to land that quad.

I bet they’re regretting releasing her. (Likewise, I’d imagine that Russia might regret releasing Alex k in men’s). But China did take our novice champion from last year, and before we knew who there was chatter that it was Alysa. But the fact that her father is gay actually could be a factor to keep her in the US.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Figure skating in the US may not be what it used to be but Alysa's earnings potential is still much higher by remaining American. I'm fairly certain she's already been signed by IMG and will be appearing in SOI shows this year.

concorde

Medalist
I actually think her earning income would be greater if she represented China. At least in my neighborhood, the Chinese (not Americans) are purchasing the very pricey homes. Added to that, I assume China would pay her training costs.

Yuna Kim is probably the top earning ice skater in recent times. I can see any top Asian skater having those same opportunities.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I actually think her earning income would be greater if she represented China. At least in my neighborhood, the Chinese (not Americans) are purchasing the very pricey homes. Added to that, I assume China would pay her training costs.

Yuna Kim is probably the top earning ice skater in recent times. I can see any top Asian skater having those same opportunities.

Figure skating is not big in China. Boyang is a two time world medalist and likely earned a fraction of the money that Gracie did. I feel confident that Nathan is earning vastly more income as an American than if he were representing China.

concorde

Medalist
I think that in terms of income potential, a OGM is much higher than a World Champion and a non-gold placement is much lower than a gold. So it is not really an apples to apples comparison of the earnings between Nathan and Boyang.

I remember years ago the commentators talking about final placements factored into earning potential.

OGM are "golden" in so many different ways.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I think that in terms of income potential, a OGM is much higher than a World Champion and a non-gold placement is much lower than a gold. So it is not really an apples to apples comparison of the earnings between Nathan and Boyang.

The comparison was between Boyang, who medaled twice at Worlds, versus Gracie, who never medaled at anything significant.

frida80

Record Breaker
I bet they’re regretting releasing her. (Likewise, I’d imagine that Russia might regret releasing Alex k in men’s). But China did take our novice champion from last year, and before we knew who there was chatter that it was Alysa. But the fact that her father is gay actually could be a factor to keep her in the US.

I doubt it. While we figure skater fans are elated by Lexi’s progress, as far as USFS is concerned, the US have even more talented skaters to make up for it.

I’m pretty sure Russia is more angry about Stephan than Alex.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I doubt it. While we figure skater fans are elated by Lexi’s progress, as far as USFS is concerned, the US have even more talented skaters to make up for it.

I’m pretty sure Russia is more angry about Stephan than Alex.

Russia’s juniors are holding up really well tho.

I agree with Alexia. I think a big reason for her improvement is that she’s gotten a lot of competition experience, which I’m not sure if she’s would have received staying as a us skater.