2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating | Page 57 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I made ice coverage pictures - Nathan Chen's SP https://imgur.com/VAPum10 and Jason Brown's https://imgur.com/VyBOi5b
thanks to bendonna for great videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN4ZFc5xMIk&t=15s

These are very interesting, thank you!

I don't know what others are seeing or projecting here, but what I see is the coverage these skaters achieve over the ice during the course of their short programs.

It's much easier to see this than when I watch on television. TV doesn't always show the complexity of the skaters' movement across the ice. Speed either for that matter.

Nilf

Rinkside
What did you intend to show with these? What do you think they say about Nathan and Jason?

At the moment these are just pictures. Looks like Jason has great ice coverage but he has no quads. I hope to find more top view camera videos of top skaters and then we could make some reasoning.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
At the moment these are just pictures. Looks like Jason has great ice coverage but he has no quads. I hope to find more top view camera videos of top skaters and then we could make some reasoning.

I agree, Jason has great ice coverage but no quads. :)

I think it would be interesting to see how much ice coverage Jason and Nathan get just on the step sequence, for example. I also think it would be interesting to see how much ice coverage they each get on their jumps and combos. I know that information is there in your pictures, but it’s a bit tough to see because there’s so much other info included in each picture.

Great job, by the way! Not sure how you did it, but it’s fun to look at.

mrrice

Record Breaker
:eek:topic:

Is Shataro Omoeri still skating? I remember when he Joshua and Jason swept the Junior Podium. I haven't heard much about him lately.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
:eek:topic:

Is Shataro Omoeri still skating? I remember when he Joshua and Jason swept the Junior Podium. I haven't heard much about him lately.

FWIW: At the beginning of the 2018-19 season, I heard from someone who knows Shotaro Omori well that although not competing that season, Shotaro had not retired. Possible that he would decide to compete again in future.

(I am not aware of any update [either way] since then.)

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I agree, Jason has great ice coverage but no quads. :)

I think it would be interesting to see how much ice coverage Jason and Nathan get just on the step sequence, for example. I also think it would be interesting to see how much ice coverage they each get on their jumps and combos. I know that information is there in your pictures, but it’s a bit tough to see because there’s so much other info included in each picture.

Great job, by the way! Not sure how you did it, but it’s fun to look at.

Nathan's stsq ice coverage is very impressive, just saying.:luv17:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Nathan's stsq ice coverage is very impressive, just saying.:luv17:

I really liked Nathan’s SP this season. The first few moments have always made me giggle. But I haven’t paid much attention to ice coverage. My comment was not a criticism, just a statement that I find it hard to separate the elements out in those particular photos.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I really liked Nathan’s SP this season. The first few moments have always made me giggle. But I haven’t paid much attention to ice coverage. My comment was not a criticism, just a statement that I find it hard to separate the elements out in those particular photos.

my short reply was also only a personal impression, stsq ice coverage is one particular feature that impressed me about Nathan's skating, otherwise, I wouldn't mention it. if you are interested, you can seek out Nathan's LoA fancams etc.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So GP assignments will be released next Thursday!

Any guesses as to where our guys will end up?

- Nathan, Vincent, and Jason are each guaranteed 2 spots (Worlds).
- Tomoki (SB), Camden (WS), and Alexei (WS) are each guaranteed 1 spot.
- These guys are top 75 in SB and “could” be selected: Andrew Torgashev, Jimmy Ma, Sean Rabbitt, Ryan Dunk (is he Senior this year?)
- I left off guys who I think have retired.

Thoughts? Who do you think is likely to get an SA host spot?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
My guess is that Nathan and Tomoki will be at SA. (Personal connection-wise, Vincent at CoC and Tomoki at NHK seem quite plausible; but with Vincent as the #3 seed, his invites are really going to come down to where Nathan & Hanyu want to compete on the GP--providing both elect to do so). I think Torgashev will compete the JGP and be assigned to Lake Placid. I think the 3rd SA host spot won't be assigned until after the summer competitions.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
my short reply was also only a personal impression, stsq ice coverage is one particular feature that impressed me about Nathan's skating, otherwise, I wouldn't mention it. if you are interested, you can seek out Nathan's LoA fancams etc.

StSeq coverage for Jason truly impressed me this year, too. I think these overhead photos showed Jason’s impressive step sequences as well, and of course, all you need to do is watch his Worlds SP to see that :)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I expect to see Nathan and Tomoki at Skate America. I'm not sure about the 3rd SA spot - it could either be Jason if they want a bigger name, or one of Alexei and Camden to help get them 2 spots. If they're thinking Alexei/Camden, they could leave it TBD to be earned in the summer, or they could just pick one of them (not sure which - Camden has the higher SB and a slightly better finish at JW, but Alexei was much better at Nationals). If they don't go with Jason at SA, and Alexei and Camden get 2 spots without the host pick, it could be someone else like Jimmy Ma, but I feel like it'll be one of the 3 I said.

I'm not sure where Nathan's 2nd event will be. NHK would fit with his school breaks schedule (like IdF this year), but host picks come first and I'd expect the Japanese fed to have Hanyu there, so Nathan can't do it. I'm not sure what he'll prefer beyond that. Tomoki's other event could be wherever, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at NHK like Ice Dance said.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting questions about GPF.

Macro: I'm thinking Andrew T. might stay junior this year. I don't see an upside to competing senior, as he would be scrambling for two spots (and I'm selfish, I want to see him skate as much as possible;) )
Sean Rabbitt has not announced a retirement, but he also has not announced programs. He usually competes at Glacier, since that's his home club, and it's getting kind of close if he's planning to compete. I wonder if he's made up his mind yet :think:

Micro: Nathan has a decision to make, since Yuzu will get NHK. So, Yuzu gets SkCan and NHK; Nathan gets SkAm and whatever?, and Vincent gets the remaining two (Maybe CoC will make a bid for Vincent?)

Even though the Japanese fans love Jason, I'm just as happy if he skips NHK again, it hasn't been good luck for him. Let Tomoki have it:laugh: SkCan and IdF again for Jason wouldn't break my heart :biggrin:

Alex K. for CoR again? And Camden could be fit in anywhere, but maybe SkAm host pick?

:drama:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
...- These guys are top 75 in SB and “could” be selected: Andrew Torgashev, Jimmy Ma, Sean Rabbitt, Ryan Dunk (is he Senior this year?) ...

For 2019/20, Ryan Dunk "plans to compete domestically as a senior and internationally again on the Junior Grand Prix circuit."

Per the nice profile of him in Jun/July issue of Skating magazine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByP85hdHQWH/ (see sixth photo for the quote above)​

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I have been very selfishly hoping Jason would get Skate America, but in truth, I think it’s more likely to go to Tomoki and maybe Camden. I could see Tomoki getting Russia or NHK as a second event.

I’m really curious what Nathan will choose, because other than Skate America and NHK, there isn’t anything that fits neatly into his school schedule. He seems really well liked in Japan, but unless Hanyu decides not to do the Grand Prix this season (unlikely) - or he declines NHK (also unlikely) where will Nathan go? Canada is the closest, followed by Russia/ France. Is there any possibility he would only do one event even though it means he wouldn’t qualify for the final? It will be interesting to see.

Vincent seemed to get a warm reception in Japan but obviously NHK is out unless Hanyu doesn’t go. Since he seems to get better later in the season, maybe he would prefer China and Russia? But he probably won’t have a choice.

I guess I can see Jason getting Canada and France again, but it might depend on where Hanyu, Evgenia, and Jun end up - I suppose TCC will try to lobby for multiple skaters at the same events if they can.

Is it always this up in the air? It really seems like there are no “sure” matches this year.

bennorii

On the Ice
I know that Alex, Camden, and Tomoki are only guaranteed one, but don’t top 24 SB/WS usually end up getting two because feds just need to fill up spots? This leads me to believe that maybe Jimmy will just get the SA spot unless somebody shows up this summer.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I know that Alex, Camden, and Tomoki are only guaranteed one, but don’t top 24 SB/WS usually end up getting two because feds just need to fill up spots? This leads me to believe that maybe Jimmy will just get the SA spot unless somebody shows up this summer.

Yeah, I think all three have a good chance of getting two events, but not necessarily without a host spot. And which events is another question. I think it really depends on whether there are a lot of retirements etc. :)

I suppose Jimmy could get Skate America - but he really tanked there last year. On the other hand, we did have a lot of retirements last year and there aren’t a lot of rising seniors.

I tend to think they would give Camden the opportunity over Jimmy, but we’ll see.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

From what I remember, top 24 SB almost always end up with 2 in singles (except in a situation like the Russia ladies where they max out on spots), but not necessarily top 24 WS if they're lower down on the SB list. I believe that once they fill on the remaining spots, they go down the SB list (sometimes very loosely) to fill the rest. Camden is 36th and Alex is 49th on the SB list, so I'm not betting on both getting 2 without help (either USFS making some deals or the host spot).

ETA: On the subject of Jimmy, it might be worth noting that he's not currently on the ISP. Of course he could be added later, but I thought it was worth throwing out there. I tend to agree with Tavi that Camden would be chosen over Jimmy (and I think Alex would too).

Tavi...

Record Breaker
From what I remember, top 24 SB almost always end up with 2 in singles (except in a situation like the Russia ladies where they max out on spots), but not necessarily top 24 WS if they're lower down on the SB list. I believe that once they fill on the remaining spots, they go down the SB list (sometimes very loosely) to fill the rest. Camden is 36th and Alex is 49th on the SB list, so I'm not betting on both getting 2 without help (either USFS making some deals or the host spot).

ETA: On the subject of Jimmy, it might be worth noting that he's not currently on the ISP. Of course he could be added later, but I thought it was worth throwing out there. I tend to agree with Tavi that Camden would be chosen over Jimmy (and I think Alex would too).

Oh my goodness I didn’t even notice that Jimmy isn’t on the ISP.

The list is quite short, isn’t it? Kinda the opposite of Russian ladies. :). Which makes me wonder - bad skating fan that I am - who are the rising novice and junior men to watch? There seems to be a lot of excitement over rising US ladies - for men, not so much.