State of the U.S. Men's Figure Skating for 2014-15 | Page 52 | Golden Skate

State of the U.S. Men's Figure Skating for 2014-15

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Silver medal, big step up for U.S. skater Farris

Excerpts:

*Joshua Farris may never have finished higher than third in a U.S. Championship, but he looks more and more like the U.S. man to watch.

Highland Park’s Brown, sixth in the free skate and final standings (nearly 17 points behind Farris), finally had tried the first quad of his competitive career in the short program. That he made a hash of it was less important than the willingness to risk it, as the results of the free skate showed.

(Emphasis added re Hersh's support for Jason's quad attempt.)​

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't really like Joshua's Schindler's List... No one should perform on the Ice because it doesn't work for ANYONE...

Well can't make everyone happy I suppose! I really like the program for Josh. I think it's good he kept it so he could have performed it to the best of his ability this season.

As i said elsewhere, I have more faith that the U.S. can keep 3 spots after solid free skates from both Josh and Jason today. The competition will be stiff, for sure, but I think they can do it.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I don't really like Joshua's Schindler's List... No one should perform on the Ice because it doesn't work for ANYONE...

I thought it was just me...ok, I liked Yulia's SL but I'd be delighted if nobody else ever skated to it again. I know uber-depressing programs = "artistic" to a lot of people, but they aren't my cup of tea, and never will be.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I thought it was just me...ok, I liked Yulia's SL but I'd be delighted if nobody else ever skated to it again.

You mean you just watched that absolute MAGIC last night and still think Yulia's is the be all and end all of Schindler's Lists?!

Josh and Jason were wonderful yesterday. Absolutely fantastic.

Bumdid

Record Breaker
I thought it was just me...ok, I liked Yulia's SL but I'd be delighted if nobody else ever skated to it again. I know uber-depressing programs = "artistic" to a lot of people, but they aren't my cup of tea, and never will be.

You forgot the majesty that's Ilinykh/ Katsalapov Schlinder's List, complete with headwrap and all ;)

Back to American men, I think they can keep their three spots in worlds as long as Josh and Jason are clean. Tbh, the Japanese men (except Hanyu) and Kovtun/Voronov are somewhat inconsistent. And as much as I love Javier, he rarely does clean programs back to back.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

Not in the least to me. The majority of these depressing programs are boring and exchangeable to me. But IMO, Josh is working very well with this music. He brings out the smallest nuances between different cuts, and you really have to be a good artist to be capable of that. I'm sure he could be just as amazing with different, lighter music (which might actually be way easier to interpret than Schindler's List - which I think is gorgeous music, but some of it is very challenging to pull off).

But hey, it's good there are some people who aren't crazy about Josh yet (my tumblr dash is full of him though :laugh: ) There need to be some people left for him to win over at worlds :p ;)

Mrs.P said:
As i said elsewhere, I have more faith that the U.S. can keep 3 spots after solid free skates from both Josh and Jason today. The competition will be stiff, for sure, but I think they can do it.

Yes, I'd agree. I actually I hoped Adam would proof me wrong, but by now I think it's really on Jason and Joshua to get the job done. The only guys 4CC was missing were Yuzuru, Sergei, Maxim and Javi - even with them, Josh would at least be 6th (though it's very likely he would have been at least one of those and would be 5th or even 4th). Jason would be 11th, but I'd guess Jason won't go for the quad again at worlds, so you'd think he'll climb quite a few spots as well. If they hold it together, they'll definitely keep the 3 spots, and both seem to be in very could mental condition right now!

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
While I LOVED Joshua at 4CC and his LP is great...the music at the first minute or so of his program can be very grating. Depending on the acoustics of the arena (and the state of your speakers). In any case, he will probably change his LP next season.

Arianne

On the Ice
It seems odd to me that Kori wanted Jason to go for the quad in the short program. He most likely wasn't going to land it his first time out. Why not just attempt it in the long program to get it out there? Instead, he really hurt his chances for a high finish by taking himself out of contention in the short...

HanDomi

Record Breaker
It seems odd to me that Kori wanted Jason to go for the quad in the short program. He most likely wasn't going to land it his first time out. Why not just attempt it in the long program to get it out there? Instead, he really hurt his chances for a high finish by taking himself out of contention in the short...

Maybe because for many teams 4CC is not that important competition, and is more like "testing" competition before Worlds ;)

centerpt1

On the Ice
Maybe because for many teams 4CC is not that important competition, and is more like "testing" competition before Worlds ;)

.....AND there was a lot of pressure (media and likely Fed) for him to get it there. Obviously he doesn't have a quad yet. He didn't even do a fully rotated one in practice there. Hersh liked it, even though there was no rotated quad.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Now that I come back to the question, do scores at 4CC affect scores at WC? Because if so then maybe Jason's PCS in the SP at WC might be harmed.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Now that I come back to the question, do scores at 4CC affect scores at WC? Because if so then maybe Jason's PCS in the SP at WC might be harmed.

Jason actually had the 4th highest PCS in the FS despite not being in the final group -- and really was tied with Han in 3rd, who was a mere .02 points higher.

As for the SP, he was also 4th highest despite a 9th place program. So no, I don't see a sudden hit in PCS.

As for the reason they opt to do it in the SP, it's likely where they felt they could try it without harming his confidence and the integrity of the program. That program has been done clean as a whistle at Nationals and for the most part he does a relatively consistant short program.

The long program, otoh, has not been squeaky clean EVER as a senior. He's come close, but there has always been a mental error or two. In addition the FS, as it stands is already highly taxing -- six jumping passes in the second half including a 3A and two 3-3 combos. Besides, all thigs considered, he scored well 167 is a very good score and a definite confidence boost for worlds.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Silver medal, big step up for U.S. skater Farris

Excerpts:

*Joshua Farris may never have finished higher than third in a U.S. Championship, but he looks more and more like the U.S. man to watch.

Highland Park’s Brown, sixth in the free skate and final standings (nearly 17 points behind Farris), finally had tried the first quad of his competitive career in the short program. That he made a hash of it was less important than the willingness to risk it, as the results of the free skate showed.

(Emphasis added re Hersh's support for Jason's quad attempt.)​

Frankly, his comments after the short program were anything but supportive, so I'm happy he moderated his tone a bit here. Sometimes he doesn't seem to know where the line is between "hard-hitting" reporting and trashing someone.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Onward.

Up Next:
Challenge Cup, Feb. 18-22, The Hauge, The Netherlands - Tomaki Hiwatashi,15, 2013 U.S. Novice Champion will be competing at the junior level. He recently finished fifth at the junior level at U.S. Nationals. Hiwatashi was sidelined with injuries last season. He was assigned a JGP event back in the 2013-2014 season, but withdrew, so I believe this would be his international debut.

World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2015, March 2-8 in Tallian, Estonia.
Nathan Chen, Andrew Torgashev and Kevin Shum will be representing the U.S.

Chen, 15, who finished 8th in his senior debut at U.S. Nationals, is one of the medal prospects. He is the reigning bronze medalist in this event. Chen tried the quad at sectionals, but opted out of them at nationals due to a last-minute injury, we'll see if he will bring them back here and whether he'll do a 3A. His injuries lead to him only competing at one JGP event, where he placed 3rd. His personal best score internationally is 222.22.

Torgashev, 13, is the 2015 U.S. Junior champion. He debuted on the JGP with two events, placing 4th and 5th. He does not yet have a 3A, but judges seem to have responded well to his overall skating and I think he could finish in the top 5 or 6. His personal best is 182.57.

Shum, 17, is the 2015 U.S. Junior silver medalist. He debuted internationally at last year's U.S. Challenge Cup, finishing 5th in the junior event. He's a relative newbie, relative to either Torgashev or Chen.

What's at stake? Placements for next year's World Junior Championships as well as maximum spots for the Junior Grand Prix series. I think this team should be able to maintain 3 spots for the U.S. next year as well as get the max spots for JGP.

Last edited:

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
Frankly, his comments after the short program were anything but supportive, so I'm happy he moderated his tone a bit here. Sometimes he doesn't seem to know where the line is between "hard-hitting" reporting and trashing someone.

I don't understan about figure skating but I know (in Europe!) who is Jason Brown. He is a world famous figure skater. But who is Philip Hersh?:sarcasm:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't understan about figure skating but I know (in Europe!) who is Jason Brown. He is a world famous figure skater. But who is Philip Hersh?:sarcasm:

I do not claim to be an expert on Hersh, but my answer would be:

Hersh is a sports reporter for the Chicago Tribune (which happens to be one of Jason's hometown newspapers, but also is nationally recognized).
Hersh's beat is Olympic sports, including -- but not limited to -- figure skating.

As a staff reporter for a U.S. paper who has covered skating for many years and who continues to do so, Hersh is a rare commodity -- whether one agrees with his opinions and style or not.​

Side note to Mrs. P:
Never got around to thanking you for your post (in Jason's thread, IIRC) with the link to Hersh's very first article about Jason.
I was wrong in overestimating how long Hersh had been writing about Jason. In any case, I disagree with those who think that Hersh is looking for opportunities to beat Jason down.​

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
I do not claim to be an expert on Hersh, but my answer would be:

Hersh is a sports reporter for the Chicago Tribune (which happens to be one of Jason's hometown newspapers, but also is nationally recognized).
Hersh's beat is Olympic sports, including -- but not limited to -- figure skating.

As a staff reporter for a U.S. paper who has covered skating for many years and who continues to do so, Hersh is a rare commodity -- whether one agrees with his opinions and style or not.​

Side note to Mrs. P:
Never got around to thanking you for your post (in Jason's thread, IIRC) with the link to Hersh's very first article about Jason.
I was wrong in overestimating how long Hersh had been writing about Jason. In any case, I disagree with those who think that Hersh is looking for opportunities to beat Jason down.​

I did journalism for 15 years (art -- dance too -- not sport). I think the responsibility of the press is huge! The task of the journalist is not to force his opinion (especially if it is not an expert in the subject), but serve the public, to give information. Do not criticize because that is a very different job

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I did journalism for 15 years (art -- dance too -- not sport). I think the responsibility of the press is huge! The task of the journalist is not to force his opinion (especially if it is not an expert in the subject), but serve the public, to give information. Do not criticize because that is a very different job

I have no doubt that Hersh thinks that the responsibility of the press is huge -- and I do as well.

As I said above, I do not think that he is salivating at the thought of Jason or any other skater doing less than his or her best.
I think that for the most part, Hersh calls 'em as he sees 'em.

And Hersh is as much of an expert on figure skating as you are going to find among mainstream U.S. journalists, I would say. And I did not mean opinions in the sense of outright editorializing.

I know that you are a diehard Jason fan (and I like Jason very much myself) -- so I will note that on many occasions, Hersh has highlighted Jason's positive achievements (on and off the ice). But Jason is not perfect (no human being and no skater is), and Hersh is not one to sugarcoat the mistakes or shortcomings of Jason or any other skater.

Last edited:

salchowx4

On the Ice
Hersh has always had strong opinions and not been afraid to share them. I don't like him at all, but at least one knows what to expect from him.