IceNetwork Ending/NBC Sports Gold update | Page 2 | Golden Skate

IceNetwork Ending/NBC Sports Gold update

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m going to miss all of those angst driven “my Ice Network feed just froze” comments the most ;)

RIP

mrrice

Record Breaker
I’m going to miss all of those angst driven “my Ice Network feed just froze” comments the most ;)

RIP

Right!!! They shot themselves in the foot on this one. They became so unreliable that I decided just to wait for fans on GS to post videos and watch them here.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I assume that by saying all non-subscription based content it means everything will be distributed to other sites, including the info you mention (possibly transferred to the new Fan Zone?). The way I'm reading this, the site itself is closing with the end of the Icenetwork brand.

Thanks. I too am assuming that all that Bios and Results pages will be transferred over to the USFSA website. But, I was concerned that they weren't specifically mentioned in that paragraph you quoted.

Although they are not my immediate concern, I hope that all the articles remain available somewhere. Because when Ulster TV was taken over by the ITV network a couple of years ago, the website was just closed down. And all the stories and videos from before the website was closed are gone. Including some stories from Jenna McCorkell's early days competing.

Oh dear...that’s not an easy fix :shocked:

Part of the reason that the new Fan Fest Index spreadsheet I was making last summer was never put up was because three of the columns have to be completely re-done because the websites changed the format of their addresses after I made it out. And I just never got a chance to fix them during the season.

The links in 2 of the columns still work because that site has set up redirects. But, the site that is linked to in the third column hasn't set up redirects, so the links there are completely useless.

So, I'm really hoping that when Ice Network is closed, all the content is transferred over to a new site, and that redirects are set up.

I will replace all the links anyway, just in case the redirects stop working in the future. But, it is just easier if you don't have to actively go hunting for the new pages.

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
All non-subscription based content that you once found on icenetwork, including news coverage, podcasts, ice desk, press conferences and more will be dispersed across NBCSports.com and U.S. Figure Skating’s Fan Zone website moving forward.

I assume that by saying all non-subscription based content it means everything will be distributed to other sites, including the info you mention (possibly transferred to the new Fan Zone?). The way I'm reading this, the site itself is closing with the end of the Icenetwork brand.

Thx for pointing out what I had overlooked. So IN will shut down completely.

I hope that the quote above means that IN's archives of non-subscription content will become accessible on the Fan Zone -- which BTW has existed for several years.
(Or on the NBC site.)
In other words, I worry that the "moving forward" part could be a reference only to new articles, podcasts, etc., being generated in future?

The existing Fan Zone has had some articles of its very own (as well as excerpts of stuff from Skating magazine).
Its Competition Central pages have had links to results (USFS results and international results); links to bios of U.S. entries; links (sometimes) to streaming; and the like.

But I guess the idea is that (at the least) the Fan Zone will be beefed up with new installments of the type of material that once lived on IN.
And it will become like a Fan Zone 2.0 (which perhaps is what you meant).

Anyway, thanks again for your helpful post.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Thanks. I too am assuming that all that Bios and Results pages will be transferred over to the USFSA website. But, I was concerned that they weren't specifically mentioned in that paragraph you quoted.

Although they are not my immediate concern, I hope that all the articles remain available somewhere. Because when Ulster TV was taken over by the ITV network a couple of years ago, the website was just closed down. And all the stories and videos from before the website was closed are gone. Including some stories from Jenna McCorkell's early days competing.

Yeah. Though most likely the old content will stay around as a form of archive, for a while at least, which would help with the links, but any new content will no longer be posted there.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
U.S. Figure Skating Moving OTT Offerings To NBC Sports Gold

This excerpt seems worth mentioning:

Current subscribers will be offered an incentive to stick with the product through the change, Baker said. Exact pricing for the NBC product has not been determined.

Regarding NBC's overall deal with USFS, I hope a smart person will help me understand the following excerpt, please?

... The digital transition was included in a broader media rights deal recently signed by USFS and NBC that will extend their relationship through '28. USFS under the deal will control all of the linear commercial inventory for the broadcasts for the first time, up from half under the old arrangement. NBC will recoup that value on the digital side, where they believe they can grow subscriptions substantially over the current IceNetwork.com numbers. ...

Is it an advantageous change for USFS that it now will control all of the linear commercial inventory for broadcasts (instead of half)?
Greater risk -- if it is unable to sell all of the inventory and/or unable to reach rating benchmarks -- but greater reward if it is able?

Or am I missing the point entirely??

Off topic:
The photo is of Vincent, I think?​

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Concerned to see that U.S. Classic is not listed among NBC offerings.

In the past, U.S. Classic streaming/videos were available with a paid subscription to IN.

We do not know yet whether 2018 U.S. Classic will be a Challenger comp, but the dates (Sep 14 to 16) are on the USFS website.

(Does not seem realistic to hope that USFS will start providing free U.S. Classic streaming via a platform other than NBC?? But never say never. :pray:)

Seems like US International Figure Skating Classic will be made available according to the list of events on NBC Sports Gold website:

https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/figure-skating

Full List:

U.S. International Figure Skating Classic
Skate America
U.S. Championships (junior and senior)
ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series
ISU World Championships
ISU Four Continents Championships
ISU European Championships and the ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships
U.S. Synchronized Skating Championships (senior, junior and collegiate levels)
U.S. Sectional Championships for both figure skating (senior and junior levels) and synchronized skating (senior, junior and collegiate levels)
U.S. Regional Championships (junior and senior levels)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Seems like US International Figure Skating Classic will be made available according to the list of events on NBC Sports Gold website:

https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/figure-skating ...

Thx for the good news.

(I was going by the list in the e-mail and press releases, but happy to learn that the list on the NBC site does include it.)

ETA:
First sighting of the logo for 2019 Four Continents / Anaheim, I think?​

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
What I'm concerned about -- and what is likely going to happen -- is that NBC Sports won't publish any figure skating videos on a public channel (on YouTube or whatever) and then go ahead and take down all of the replay videos on YouTube, placing hurdles everywhere so that casuals viewers can't watch any figure skating and hardcore viewers will just dig through forums for links to replays somewhere else.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I actually think this could be great. This year, I watched the Olympics and several competitions on my iPhone thru NBC on the Olympic channel. It was super convenient, worked well, and replays were available for a certain period. And Johnny & Tara did not commentate for everything. Maybe they’ll give Adam a shot.

I already pay a premium for whatever sports package includes the Olympic Channel. I’m curious if the Gold package will be separate from that, and if not, whether you will need both.

Anyway, IMO nothing could be worse than the practically unwatchable IN coverage of the US Classic over the past few years. Here’s hoping this is an improvement at reasonable cost.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hmmmm. I wonder if my paid VPN will work with this. And how much this is going to be.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Same. I would assume NBC's streams would be much better quality; the ones for Olympics were great. As to cost... I'm already paying $50 for IN. How much more can it be? At least they've made all the lower level stuff free.

What I will miss is all the back archives of competitions. It's the only way to watch some things, like Yuzu's Seimei, which keeps getting taken off youtube.

If it's at least twice as much as someone mentioned, that would be at least $100.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
If it's at least twice as much as someone mentioned, that would be at least $100.

$100 would be insane. Absolutely insane, unless they're actively trying to discourage people from following the sport. I very much doubt it'll be that high.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I doubt it will cost that. The current passes for other sports range from $20-70. I’m guessing $50-60.

My pass for ice skating is $45 a year. Am I doing something wrong? Anyway I went back and reread it and it said there would be "incentives" for current IceNetwork subscribers. Whatever that means. I don't know why they can't just make the improvements and call it the same thing.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
$100 would be insane. Absolutely insane, unless they're actively trying to discourage people from following the sport. I very much doubt it'll be that high.

Mine is $45. It has consistently gone up each year. I think it started at $19.95 a year or something.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
"NBC Sports Gold is a standalone streaming service that is purchased online directly from NBC Sports Group, and does not require a cable TV package."

Good news for those of us that don't have a cable subscription!
:hap93: