2018 Philadelphia Summer International

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Philadelphia Summer International
July 30 - August 5
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Official Site: http://iceworkssc.org/psic/
ETA (on Jul 23):
Philadelphia Summer *International* intentionally remains the focus of this post, which was merged into this thread from the "International Events" subforum.
My mentions in this post of Philadelphia Summer Championship are only incidental.

Latest/greatest (but still-tentative) schedule information is below.
I have deleted two rounds of preliminary schedule information.​

Adding links:
The ISU event page:
The Philadelphia Summer International event page from IceWorks Skating Club has been updated for 2018.

The entry deadline is July 4, per http://iceworkssc.org/psic/files/2018/2018 Philadelphia Summer International_Final.pdf
ETA (on Jul 23):
Still-tentative schedule (revision as of Jul 13) is here: http://iceworkssc.org/psic/files/2018/2018PSCTENTATIVESchedule.pdf

The list below includes only *International* practices and segments, all of which are in Rink 2.

Thursday August 2, 2018
6:30-7:30 International Ladies SP Official Practice​

Friday August 3, 2018
2:20-3:20 International Ladies SP Official Warm-up
5:30-6:40 International Ladies SP Competition (ice resurf after 2nd group)
Ice​
6:55-7:55 International Men SP Official Practice
Ice​
8:10-9:20 International Ladies FS Official Practice​

Saturday August 4, 2018
1:40-2:20 International Men SP Official Warm-up
2:20-3:20 International Ladies Official Warm-up
Ice​
3:35-4:35 International Men SP Competition
Ice​
4:50-6:10 International Ladies FS Competition
Ice​
6:25-7:35 International Men FS Official Practice​

Sunday August 5, 2018
8:30-9:10 International Men FS Official Warm-up
Ice​
10:00-11:10 International Men FS Competition​

Results link: http://iceworkssc.org/psic/index.php/results-2/

Unlike last year, no junior events for this year's Philadelphia Summer International.

But the pairs discipline has been added. [ETA, update: International pairs segments have disappeared :( from the schedule, per Jul 13 revision.]

Couple of FYIs for anyone unfamiliar with this competition:
Philadelphia Summer International is not the same thing as Philadelphia Summer Championships (formerly known as Liberty) -- although both take place at the same time at IceWorks in Aston, Pennsylvania.

For anyone who wants to attend:
Aston is at some distance from Philadelphia. The venue is near-ish to Philadelphia, but not in Philadelphia.

Meanwhile: Admission last year was free. :) Philadelphia Summer International had lots of well-known skaters. :yay: Philadelphia Summer Championships had some big names as well. :cool:

ETA (on May 20):
In case anyone wants to look back at last year's GS posts re Philadelphia Summer International, they were plentiful (entry lists, play-by-play [thanks to karne], results, eyewitness reports, and more).
Very glad that we already have this separate thread for this year :yes:, but 2017 Philadelphia Summer International posts were mixed in within the Philadelphia Summer Championships thread (and ended up kinda dominating that thread).​

Last edited by a moderator:

figurefan0726

Final Flight
The 2018 Philadelphia Summer International is held from July 30 - Aug 5. It will be held at the IceWorks Arena located in Aston, PA.

Possible Entries:
- Bradie Tennell (defending champion)
- Karen Chen (competed last year)
- Gracie Gold (trains at IceWorks with V. Restencourt)
- Starr Andrews
- Local Skaters
- Korean Skaters (KSU usually sends a couple of their young skaters)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And the men last year:luv17:

Tim Dolensky, Yaroslav Paniot, Max Aaron, Alex Krasnozhon, Andrew Torgashev, Sean Rabbitt, J.H. Lee, Alex Johnson, Jordan Moeller, Camden Pulkinen, and others I’m sure I’m forgetting....

and Donovan Carrillo:love:

Of course, Max won’t be there this year, but the others are still skating competitively

And I will be on vacation starting that Saturday, and even going Friday will be a stretch:sad4:

Planning better for 2019!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Vincent scheduled to compete at Philadelphia Summer International last year but withdrew due to injury, So Vincent might go this year as well.

CaliSteve

Rinkside
Stupid question. I read that this will be an ISU technical qualifier. So does this mean that if a skater gets the minimum tech score at this event they will be able to compete at internationally? Also, does your federation have to approve your entry?

concorde

Medalist
Stupid question. I read that this will be an ISU technical qualifier. So does this mean that if a skater gets the minimum tech score at this event they will be able to compete at internationally? Also, does your federation have to approve your entry?

Yes and no.

If it is like last year, there are really two separate competitions at the same venue that weekend. The summer competition is a regular USFS summer conpetition and skaters register like usual. All levels can compete there includng Seniors.

Separate from that is a Senior only international competition. I believe Federations determine who they will send and Federations register their skaters. Those scores should work for the technical minimum but I will add a caviot - there has to be a certain number of international skaters competing there for the score to count. I think the number is 6 but am not sure. If I remember correctly, last year all disciplines but one had the minimum numbers so all scores counted except for that one discipline.

CaliSteve

Rinkside
Yes and no.

If it is like last year, there are really two separate competitions at the same venue that weekend. The summer competition is a regular USFS summer conpetition and skaters register like usual. All levels can compete there includng Seniors.

Separate from that is a Senior only international competition. I believe Federations determine who they will send and Federations register their skaters. Those scores should work for the technical minimum but I will add a caviot - there has to be a certain number of international skaters competing there for the score to count. I think the number is 6 but am not sure. If I remember correctly, last year all disciplines but one had the minimum numbers so all scores counted except for that one discipline.

Thank you for the the clarification.

Another questions, for the USFSA to send skaters to International Competitions those skaters generally competed at Nationals first, right?

concorde

Medalist
Generally yes but not always.

For example at the Asian Open in early August, there will be a US lady skating as an Advanced Novice who has not skated at Nationals (discussed briefly in US ladies thread in the last week or so). No idea what USFS used as the criteria for selecting her. In fairness to this young lady, she did make Sectionals last year and skated well at the Broadmoor this year but there is one other lady who finished higher than her at both events but is not going.

Andrea82

Medalist
Yes and no.

I think that until last season for counting towards minimum TES is enough to have 2 skaters from 2 different countries.

It is to have the competition counting for World Standings that the entries requirements are tougher. At least 8 skaters from 4 countries in Single, 6 from 4 countries in Ice Dance and 5 from 3 countries in Pairs.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think that until last season for counting towards minimum TES is enough to have 2 skaters from 2 different countries.

It is to have the competition counting for World Standings that the entries requirements are tougher. At least 8 skaters from 4 countries in Single, 6 from 4 countries in Ice Dance and 5 from 3 countries in Pairs.

Last year, the men’s singles counted toward that, as there were skaters from Korea, Ukraine, Mexico, Hong Kong in addition to the US. I only attended the ladies SP, but I’m sure with the huge (to me) number of entires the ladies must have qualified. I remember Korea and Mexico had entrants.

So sad this year I can’t go, unless seniors skate on a Thursday:sad21: But since I can’t go because I will be sitting on a cruise ship suite balcony on my way to Bermuda, I guess I won’t get many pity parties ;)

theoreticalgirl

Rinkside
Unlike previous years, it's not possible to figure out the entries via Entryeeze, so here are the entries I know about, as confirmed by someone in the LOC: Yamato Rowe, Yaroslav Paniot, Tim Dolensky, Karen Chen, Isadora Williams, Amber Glenn, Sofia del Rio, Jimmy Ma.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unlike previous years, it's not possible to figure out the entries via Entryeeze, so here are the entries I know about, as confirmed by someone in the LOC: Yamato Rowe, Yaroslav Paniot, Tim Dolensky, Karen Chen, Isadora Williams, Amber Glenn, Sofia del Rio, Jimmy Ma.

Jimmy Ma also confirmed he is competing at Philly International in an interview about his programs: one choreographed by Josh Farris:yes:

I remember Sofia delRio from last year, she came out in a black catsuit, with her hair pulled in a really tight ponytail and black lipstick, and I said to my bench mate, this better be an homage to Alexa Knierim, and sure enough, it was "Nothing Else Matters":laugh:

concorde

Medalist
Interesting. A year ago, Isadora implied she was planning to retire after the Olympics. I guess she changed her mind.

haribobo

On the Ice
Groups finally posted here-

http://iceworkssc.org/liberty/

Junior Ladies - Sarah Jung, Violeta Ushakova, Jessica Lin
Junior Men - Lucas Altieri, Nathan Chapple, Joseph Kang, Peter Liu, David Shapiro
Senior Men- Tony Lu, Emmanuel Savary
Senior Ladies- Paige Rydberg

Intl competitors not up yet