2018 Philadelphia Summer International | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Philadelphia Summer International

netterina

Rinkside
Sylvia posted the International entries here.

Senior Men:
Yamato Rowe (PHI)
Micah Tang (TPE)
Yaroslav Paniot (UKR)
Timothy Dolensky (USA)
Patrick Frohling (USA)
Jimmy Ma (USA)
Camden Pulkinen (USA)
Andrew Torgashev (USA)

Senior Ladies:
Isadora Williams (BRA)
Dimitra Korri (GRE)
Netta Schreiber (ISR)
Andrea Montesinos (MEX)
Sofia del Rio (MEX)
Maxine Marie Bautista (USA)
Karen Chen (USA)
Amber Glenn (USA)
Katie McBeath (USA)
Brynne McIsaac (USA)
Akari Nakahara (USA)

Looks like enough entries for World Standings points for both events as it stands now!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We're planning on going from Thursday through Sunday. El henry, we'll miss you!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We're planning on going from Thursday through Sunday. El henry, we'll miss you!

And I will miss you and the rest of the gang as well, @iluvtodd:sad21: Not to mention seeing skaters like Andrew T. and Jimmy Ma. But my sis scheduled the extended family cruise for everyone, not just me;), and I just couldn’t make it work.

*Definitely* next year!:agree:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Apparently Karen might be injured and might not be competing?? Can anyone confirm?
I’m dying to know her long program music.

And I can’t wait to see how Brynne McIsaac does! Has her time with Raf helped her jumps?

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
She moved to Colorado awhile back so I assumed she was with Tom Z. Has she relocated to California to be with Raf?

Oh. Maybe I got the coaches’ names mixed up. Sorry! So, Brynne is with Tom Z. I hope he can help with her jumps! They’re so odd looking.😕

frida80

Record Breaker
Apparently Karen might be injured and might not be competing?? Can anyone confirm?
I’m dying to know her long program music.

And I can’t wait to see how Brynne McIsaac does! Has her time with Raf helped her jumps?
Where did you here that? I know she got injured last year at practice so she couldn't compete. It would be terrible luck if it happened again.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Where did you here that? I know she got injured last year at practice so she couldn't compete. It would be terrible luck if it happened again.

Last year, Karen skated the SP, but withdrew from the LP. I actually saw the practice where Karen fell. I have never heard such a huge "thwack" anywhere in a rink (ETA: not that I've been in all that many). I shuddered. I haven't heard anything about this year, though:scratch2:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We're there. Sorry to say there's no official program this year (listing the competitors & the clubs/countries they represent). :sad21: There's only a multi-page handout of the the schedule through Sunday. Nevertheless, we are still here to enjoy the skating we do get to see.

The juvenile pairs were charming.

Very nice to say "hi" to Philip Duhlebohn & John Kerr. Rohene Ward, Rocky Marval Darlene Cain are here, too (haven't seen Peter Cain yet). Mark Ladwig has been announced as a judge, but we haven't spotted him in the judges' section (or @ the booth for Jackson Ultima Skates).

BTW, we left @ about 7 PM. When we got home, we heard on the local news that the complex had to be evacuated due to an ammonia leak! :eeking: Hopefully all is well for today!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
BTW, we left @ about 7 PM. When we got home, we heard on the local news that the complex had to be evacuated due to an ammonia leak! :eeking: Hopefully all is well for today!

Yikes... have we hard anything more about this? How quickly can stuff like this be resolved?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yikes... have we hard anything more about this? How quickly can stuff like this be resolved?

All is well and safe today.
There were no injuries (for skaters or anyone else). The fire department responded quickly last night.

[I was there at the time of the evacuation. The second practice group for International Ladies had to be pulled (in the metaphorical sense) off the ice. The International Ladies draw had to be held outside in the rain. Some skaters had evacuated without a chance to get their stuff out of locker rooms.
I do not want to make light of anything. The good news in this particular case is that the main effect on skaters and coaches seemed to be inconvenience, but nothing worse.]

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
All is well and safe today.
There were no injuries (for skaters or anyone else). The fire department responded quickly last night.

[I was there at the time of the evacuation. The second practice group for International Ladies had to be pulled (in the metaphorical sense) off the ice. The International Ladies draw had to be held outside in the rain. Some skaters had evacuated without a chance to get their stuff out of locker rooms.
I do not want to make light of anything. The good news in this particular case is that the main effect on skaters and coaches seemed to be inconvenience, but nothing worse.]

Thanks for the heads up. I was not sure how much of a process it was to deal with something like this... glad it all worked out.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks for the heads up. I was not sure how much of a process it was to deal with something like this... glad it all worked out.

I do not know either. Firefighters (wearing gas masks) had been inside the building for an hour by the time I eventually left the vicinity, and the problem was not yet resolved. By then, I think all skaters and coaches had left. AFAIK, those with stuff still inside had given up on ever being allowed back into the building last night.

When the evacuation first happened, people were standing around outside right in front of the entrance (that is where the draw was held).
By the time I was leaving (with only rink and/or club staffers stuck outside at that point, I believe), people were being told to move further away from the building. I think(?) the directive was to move down to the street (across the large parking lot, in other words). Lyft drivers cancelled on me twice, or I would have left earlier.

I have no idea how much longer the firefighters remained inside after I left. Could have been many hours.
And I have no idea what measures were necessary overnight to restore safety.

I too am glad that it all worked out The competition has been continuing today with no change in schedule. :)

beckab81

Rinkside
Rough skate for Amber Glenn... tough to see such a talented skater having such a tough performance (LOTS of pops).

I would love to see the protocals for the men - they all ended up grouped together. My personal favorites were Camden & Jimmy Ma, but all of them had good moments. Hopefully they will have a good freeskate tomorrow.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Have just returned from attending today. Though a long-time skating fan, this is the first competition i’ve seen live.
I saw the mens’ SP and the ladies’ free. Lots of technical errors for the men; I think everyone had at least one fall and a hand down or two. But for me, Camden Pulkinen stood out; lovely elegant lines. Timothy Dolensky was the clear crowd favorite, and Jimmy Ma skated to a mashup of tango and hip hop, complete with a costume change; put that in your pipe and smoke it!
Mostly, though, I was thrilled to see it all live and to be in the rink where Belbin and Agosto and Dominia and Shabalin trained their Vancouver Olympic programs. I’m such an ice dance geek. The next competition I go to, will have to have ice dance in it!