Women and the Quad | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

readernick

Medalist
Wait, what? :eek: There were even such claims? OMG :laugh:
Well, duh - it's Rika's quads pale in comparison to Sasha's :shrug: Trusova is jumping them almost two years already - she is much more solid, have better height and her quads are more rotated. Even Rika's 4T would be UR most likely with strict TP now. Rika's quads quality now is similar to Liu's 3As quality - i.e. very bad. What's important though is that she began to jump them without harness and falls. Let's give her time to improve - if you remember, Trusova early attempts were bad as well. Still, I believe that after the summer break she can improve her quads technique to be ready for competitions at least.

Trusova has great height on her quads. I think the 4T is Trusova’s best quad. The technique is perhaps a bit worse than Rika’s but the height and rotation are better. ( pre- rotation is similar). But, all of Trusova’s early quads were, as you mentioned, UR. It was only after one full season of competition that she managed to land one that was considered fully rotated. Might be a similar journey for Rika. Rika has speed going into jumps( as does Trusova) but Rika such a lovely running edge out of jumps. ( which Trusova often does not acheive). If she gets a bit more height on these jumps like she did on the 3A, she can get good GOE.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Also Rika probably hasn't trained her quads all season because of 3A struggles and this is the first month or so she's tried them again. I don't fully like her technique and she's UR'ing both quads, but probably nothing she can't fix in six months. Consistency with them in competition is a completely different story.

Elucidus

Match Penalty

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hm, much better 4S than Kihira's and by older, adult lady skater to boot :agree: Four Continents gonna be interesting :rolleye:

Elizabet is just 18. Rika is 16. Feels like Elizabet has been around for ages though! Very nice quad salchow combo too - seems to have more power and height than her previous practice attempts.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

malya

On the Ice
Is she going to try it at 4CC?

Honestly, the attempt looks great! With a stabile 4S &combo she could be competitive even without 3Flip & 3Lutz that were always problematic for her

Go for it!!

Arbitrary

Medalist
Elizabeth having quad(s) may be more important for the F/S overall.

Doing quads at 19 dramatically raises the stakes. Till now we could only watch four promising youngsters and no more.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Sadly, if Tursynbaeva is known for one thing, it's for failing to rise to the occasion when she's perfectly capable of doing so... :scard8:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Add Elizabet Tursynbaeva to the rotated list on page 1! 4S attempted, and forever on her protocol! (With a fall, but still, it's there with no UR.)

Elucidus

Match Penalty
I am really glad to be mistaken in my prediction again :biggrin: It pays off already to be a little pessimistic about your favorites prospects (I admit though that Liza wasn't even among the skaters I like - until now :biggrin:). Btw, they say she landed clean 4S in warmup before the skate (and impressed the judges with it, apparently) - so I hope someone made the fancam video of it and will post it somewhere :rolleye:

Elucidus

Match Penalty
https://outdatedlink.org/figs/src/1550075822609-0.mp4
Scherbakova's 4Lz+3T+3Lo :agree:

Arbitrary

Medalist
https://outdatedlink.org/figs/src/1550075822609-0.mp4
Scherbakova's 4Lz+3T+3Lo :agree:
A pity such a terrific sequence cannot be included in the FP. 80% of value doesn't justify the risk.
She is well above the rest of EYOF so she can try tomorrow to make Wikipedia happy.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
A pity such a terrific sequence cannot be included in the FP. 80% of value doesn't justify the risk.
She is well above the rest of EYOF so she can try tomorrow to make Wikipedia happy.

80% of value? What are you talking about?

lzxnl

Final Flight

Sequence? This is a combination, no penalty at all. You see all the women doing 3-2T-2Lo? This is a 4-3-3 version.

Each jump is fully rotated, which is very impressive indeed. I'm not a fan of those arm swings, but if you need it to do a 4-3-3, so be it.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Although when would this combination ever be useful? If you run yourself out of a 3T and 3Lo already, what about the remaining 2-jump combinations? Unless you can do a 3-4T, you're going to have to repeat the 3T and 3Lo, which means no quads repeated.

Assuming you then have a 2A, you have two jumping passes sorted. What jumps are the remaining 5 passes starting with? No 3T or 3Lo, and if no 3A, that leaves 3S, 3F, 3Lz. In the end, you still have two more to do. You could either do two quads both distinct from 4Lz or a 4T and a 2A, for instance. Is it worth it, though?