Women and the Quad | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Women and the Quad

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, actually it's HUUUUGEE step forward in ladies quad revolution! :rock: Why? Because now naysayers would shut their traps about quads possible only for juniors (or russians). She just proved that senior 16 y.o. lady skater during or after puberty is capable of doing them as well :agree:
4S is UR - but 4T seems clean. What is funny though is the fact that despite having rather textbook technique for her triples - Rika begin to use heavily prerotated Eteri's technique for her 4T :biggrin:

I watched US Nats very closely and believe me...it ain’t just an Eteri technique. I’m talking both male and female too :devil:

Elucidus

Match Penalty
I don't think Kihira has particularly great technique for her triples, at least based on her vault and whippiness.

Still she prerotates much less on triples comparing to Eteri girls.

I watched US Nats very closely and believe me...it ain’t just an Eteri technique. I’m talking both male and female too :devil:
I know :biggrin: But there was so much critique of Eteri girls jumps couple of last seasons that I feel compelled to use naysayers language to make me more understandable for them.

Watch

Final Flight
Rika entering the quad ring. The thought of seeing three girls in seniors competing with quads next season is insane. And it's most likely happening!

lzxnl

Final Flight
Rika's 4T and 4S are a little low, so I'm curious at the success rate. However, I am thrilled at her progress, given she hasn't worked on these for very long this season. The off-season will definitely be a good time for her to iron out some kinks.

I agree, the 4S is certainly UR and the 4T looks ok. Rika does pre-rotate on the 4T like Trusova unfortunately; as a Rika fan, I'm going to be fair and call her out on it too. Her 3T has a similar problem, but her 3Lz and 3F are ok; slight prerotation, but gets into the air before 180 degrees and it's a true toe assist on those. It'll be curious to see if Hamada will continue to tolerate this as I'm sure she can see the prerotation. Perhaps this is what Rika means by she can land it 'on one leg' and not 'land it cleanly' in that she still needs that assistance from the prerotation. We'll need to wait for when she does it in competition.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Calling it "Eteri technique" is so disrespectful to world silver and bronze medalist Satoko Miyahara (and her coach)

Vincent pre-rotates his quads, sure, but at least he only uses the toe. Eteri technique involves more than just the toe rotating.

He looks like he's using his free leg (after he releases it from the ice) to force himself into rotation on his 4Lz, for instance. And his +3T is the same tragic story as most people's at this point.

It would be hilarious if that particular +3T technique were branded the "American Man" technique though :rofl:

Lycasek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAt1egywlys
Weir: https://youtu.be/5FVrjUIcCuQ?t=46

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
There are other threads where you can discuss Vincent’s quads and ‘American Man’ 3T technique

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Honestly, I am predicting that after the next off season many girls will reveal that they started to train Quads and 3 Axels during the summer.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Not directed towards this thread, but more so directed towards the general praise that Rika's been getting:

Rika's quads are amazing and all, but I don't see how Sasha's quads pale in comparison. Their salchow techniques are both pretty good, and both of them prerotate 180 degrees on the toe-loop. Sasha actually only prerotated 150 degrees on her only landed 4T this season. I'm sorry I just don't see the big difference in quality.

But yeah, quads/3As are becoming so prominent in practice... I wonder when these ladies will be able to incorporate them into their programs...

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Rika's quads are amazing and all, but I don't see how Sasha's quads pale in comparison. Their salchow techniques are both pretty good, and both of them prerotate 180 degrees on the toe-loop. Sasha actually only prerotated 150 degrees on her only landed 4T this season. I'm sorry I just don't see the big difference in quality.

Wait, what? :eek: There were even such claims? OMG :laugh:
Well, duh - it's Rika's quads pale in comparison to Sasha's :shrug: Trusova is jumping them almost two years already - she is much more solid, have better height and her quads are more rotated. Even Rika's 4T would be UR most likely with strict TP now. Rika's quads quality now is similar to Liu's 3As quality - i.e. very bad. What's important though is that she began to jump them without harness and falls. Let's give her time to improve - if you remember, Trusova early attempts were bad as well. Still, I believe that after the summer break she can improve her quads technique to be ready for competitions at least.