2018-19 U.S. Pairs' Figure Skating | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Pairs' Figure Skating

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It seems to me that one hint for the Deanna-Nate split might be Deanna's IG from 3/14, titled "keeping up my single skater status." https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu_WyjlHBJU/

I still don't get it, but no one knows what goes on in someone else's marriage or, presumably, skating partnership! I couldn't imagine where Nate would go from here ... but then I remembered a post from a few days ago in (I think) the US Ladies thread about a pairs camp that Katie McBeath and a couple of other singles skaters attended. I can't find the post now. But if Nate wants to try for another partnership, there might be opportunity. He's had so many split-ups now, and so recently, that it must be discouraging. And after he has this time to heal and reflect, who knows.

I've wished since 2014 that Felicia Zhang would un-retire! She's still only 25, but it seemed at that time that she'd accomplished all she wanted to do. Marissa Castelli is short enough for Nate, but I really can't see them together ... plus she seems so very happy to have moved on in her life. She's such a beautiful pairs skater, though ... all but the jumps. We do have solid teams coming up the pipeline, so that is the good news.

It's :sad21: to see them split, as they were enjoyable to watch, esp because of the spark and energy they brought to performing. Still ... All The best to both Deanna and Nate!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Feeling bummed out re: Deanna & Nate's ending of their partnership :sad21: , but grateful that they had so many memorable performances together! All the best to BOTH of them! :hap10:

Nate, may you recover completely from your injury! Deanna, may you continue to find joy in skating! :thank:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kayne & O'Shea got their second chance at a better final skate at 4CCs. (It didn't pay off). They've already announced their music for next season, which implies they've wisely moved forward. Nate is apparently injured so obviously selecting S&B wasn't even an option if they had stayed together.

K/O haven't been the same team since they left Florida and went to Dalilah for coaching. The move was based on Tarah's need for rehab for her chronic injury. She's always struggled with SBS jumps and throws because of that injury. The twist lift has never been that good, and now the lifts are becoming a problem; I don't think Danny is the only one to take the blame for that. Tarah needs to support her own weight in those elements, too. The best team? I don't think so. Danny looked pretty frustrated to me after their Nationals FS. He is an excellent skater and deserves a partner as good as he is.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While making my lame attempts to find out more about the recent pairs camp, I came across this: https://fs12.formsite.com/USFSAIT/images/2019_Athlete_Acceleration_Summit.pdf

A brand-new USFSA camp to focus on skaters' developing their performance, personality, and presence on ice; and to "generate effortless movements that ultimately encompass an engaging, passionate and
memorable program."

This new development makes me very happy. !! :hap93: It's going to take place at the new rink in Irvine. I can imagine John Nicks as the Yoda of this event. :)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
K/O haven't been the same team since they left Florida and went to Dalilah for coaching. The move was based on Tarah's need for rehab for her chronic injury. She's always struggled with SBS jumps and throws because of that injury. The twist lift has never been that good, and now the lifts are becoming a problem; I don't think Danny is the only one to take the blame for that. Tarah needs to support her own weight in those elements, too. The best team? I don't think so. Danny looked pretty frustrated to me after their Nationals FS. He is an excellent skater and deserves a partner as good as he is.

I agree. I'll boldly go one further: I think they do their best when Danny's skating and his smile are highlighted, while Tarah holds up the quality of the pair. Kind of the opposite of the "Man=Stem, Woman=Flower" classic pairs formula. I'll boldly go another: I think Jim Peterson is the one who understands this about this team, i.e. he really looked at them before choreographing. In the last two seasons, it seems Tarah is meant to be the focus of the audience's view, and it doesn't work (for me). Their 2015-16 season exemplifies, for me, everything that's wonderful about this pair.

I'll add that I don't see Danny switching partners. He's said more than once that's not in his sights.

I don't think Danny is the only one to take the blame for that. Tarah needs to support her own weight in those elements, too.

Yes. The most sorrowful thing after their nats FS was Tarah's seeming inability to realize that Danny, being the one who felt most responsible, needed support in those moments. If you look back at pairs and dance teams' bigger errors, it's more usual to see the partner who held up their end reassuring the other person. It's called empathy. In fact, Meryl Davis has talked about a time when Charlie made about 3 big errors in one dance; he kept falling, (when he almost never fell in performance). Meryl is seen doing the comforting and reassuring afterwards. In telling this story, she said that before that skate, she'd thought of Charlie as the leader in the partnership. This was when she stepped up to be the equal partner.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Whoa ... Danny's head is shaved, and it looks like Tarah's red hair may be gone as well. Clean slate 101 ????

I'm loving the idea of their working with Charlie, hopefully for a program but I'd be happy even if it was just for tips, hints and nuance. I heard him critique one of their programs once, and he was spot on.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From Alexa and Chris' FF comes wonderful news: Chris is finally able to throw and lift Alexa pain-free! https://twitter.com/ChrisKnierim/status/1121242716715700226?s=20

I've been wondering how his surgery and recovery has progressed. So glad to hear this. All the best to them.

In other US Pairs stuff, I woke up in the middle of the night wanting to hear news if Deanna Stellato is having any luck in her (possible) partner search. :laugh: And my rational side immediately said, "um ... it's a little early for that. Partner searches often take more than a month or two." Still, Deanna has a knack for surprising!

If anyone catches news about US pairs' music choices for next year, I'd enjoy seeing them posted here. I read the 2019=20 programs thread, but I need help keeping up. :)

Here are Ashley and Tim working with Misha Ge on lovely contemporary dance. Whether it's specifically for programs, I don't know, but every bit of dance expands and enriches.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvwTjcSHkEp/

ice coverage

Record Breaker
New partnership: Emily Chan and Spencer Howe. :hap85:

Per Olga Ganicheva's Instagram post w/ video:

The partnership looks very promising. :popcorn:

Hope that Emily :luv17: is enjoying her switch to pairs.

ETA:
Oooops :hopelessness:, thanks to Sylvia :bow:, I have just learned of Emily's previous competition experience in pairs. Not really a "switch." I had known only of Emily's lovely singles skating.​

ETA (on May 10):
Today Olga posted another video snippet of Emily and Spencer:
I think they look great together. :)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, Ashley and Tim's SP for next season is, after all, choreographed by Misha Ge!! :hap93: I'm always happy when skaters are able to get new eyes on them, a different vision, new nuances. I love that Misha may likely have an unusual take on pairs choreo. The program is to "A Storm Is Coming".

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What do you think ... is it appropriate to report a rumor that Deanna is having a tryout with Canadian Pairs skater Maxime Deschamps this week? TSL reported it, and Dave seems to communicate pretty well with Deanna.

Well, if it is true, I'm happy, and already hoping it will work out, even if it means they skate for Canada. Which I don't know for sure, but it's a possibility. Deanna is certainly proactive about pursuing her goals, methinks. Very admirable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETxzn2WgHTc&t=3338s

Sorry, I didn't think to mark the time when this appeared. Pretty sure it's in the final third of the talk, and I'm certain it's in the second half, where they're talking about US skaters, music choices, etc.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is reported in the “Team China” thread (sorry can’t link at the moment) that Chelsea Liu will be skating for China:shocked:
ETA: shocked not that it’s bad, just surprised!

Which explains why Ian Meyh is on IcePartner Search.....

Tavi...

Record Breaker
It is reported in the “Team China” thread (sorry can’t link at the moment) that Chelsea Liu will be skating for China:shocked:

So is it my imagination, or are former US skaters going to play a prominent role in how competitive China is for a team medal in Beijing?

natsulian

Final Flight
So is it my imagination, or are former US skaters going to play a prominent role in how competitive China is for a team medal in Beijing?
Definitely. In ladies, they have Ashley Lin, Beverly Zhu, and a few others originally from the US. These are talents that are nothing to scoff at. Lin scored 180+ in a Challenger event and Zhu successfully attempted a 6 triple program at Nationals as a Novice including a 3F-3T. Their dance team is definitely going to benefit from the new additions and pairs can always have more depth. As for the men, I haven’t heard of any US men changing over to China.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

Perhaps in the ladies' portion of the event. (Probably it is much too early to know what the scenario will look like with the women by 2022). If China is interested in competing for a team medal, then they'll be putting up their very best in the pairs event (which they haven't done yet in team competition but we can hope). It seems to me that all the athletes that have taken the opportunity to skate for China are making wise choices for themselves though. That they at least have a chance at more competitions. And Chelsea and Xie will both have partners with real pairs experience at at least the junior international level. I hope the partnership works out because I think these two are both musical performers.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Wow ... downright fascinating, given that Chelsea's sister skated for Taiwan.

Don't get me wrong: I had a very pleasant chat with Chelsea and Ian at the FOFS breakfast in Detroit, and I wholeheartedly wish each of them well in their future careers. :ghug: