Worlds: Free Dance

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last edited:

Bcash

Final Flight
S/B are just a little too much showiness over substance this season. Kind of thankful that they didn’t medal and I don’t think they deserve to be higher than other quality teams.

This panel really likes W/P I guess? I wish C/B could have been higher. I know that C/B is aiming to be in Beijing, but I don't know how long W/P will persist, esp. without a clear path back to podium.

s_parks

Record Breaker
P/C are simply the best. They have the artistry and the skills. I don't always love their programs, but they are class.
H/D's FDs just don't do it for me most of the times. But I'll say this, thank goodness a team with actual SS medalled. Sorry, it's like the skating skills train just missed Stepanova in the Svinin/Zhuk camp because the other girls there are actually decent skaters. I mean, I'm not saying presentation and actually being interesting to watch doesn't matter, but this is a sport. But what do I know, I am an ID noob.
I'm unashamedly a S/K fan so I'm happy they medalled. The music in the FD is a nope but the RD is divine. Say what you want, but Nikita is a damn good skater and it's amazing how much Sinitsina improved since they first teamed up.

Roast Toast

Medalist
The three fastest teams medalled and at this point it looks like speed is the single most important part of PCS and SS in the judges' eyes, sometimes regardless of program quality. I find the ending of SinKats's Bach FD wack and H/D's R&J is still a tonally inconsistent mess. I wish G/P's free was more adequately rewarded as well. But this is the clear message the judges are sending for the next quad, you need to skate fast, fast, fast.

slider11

Medalist
The three fastest teams medalled and at this point it looks like speed is the single most important part of PCS and SS in the judges' eyes, sometimes regardless of program quality. I find the ending of SinKats's Bach FD wack and H/D's R&J is still a tonally inconsistent mess. I wish G/P's free was more adequately rewarded as well. But this is the clear message the judges are sending for the next quad, you need to skate fast, fast, fast.

Agree that Gilles and Poirier's FD has been under-rewarded. I have to say that it showed in their performance today-not quite the emotion usually shown. Don't get discouraged Piper and Paul! I thought Chock and Bates got a lucky break with the call on their lifts They seemed awkward. Viktoria and Nikita are a team on the move-sharp and expressive! Kaitlin Hawayek looked disappointed and she should. She needs to up her technical abilities to get them in the upper 5. Kaitly Weaver and Andrew Poje are so stunning on the ice-especially in that FD. Wonder if they'll stick around or maybe just priming the Asian market for a professional career? I do agree with the medalist placement.

Matt K

On the Ice
This is the most boring ice dance competition I think I have ever seen, notwithstanding the quality of the skating from the medalists. And yes, I agree that speed is the primary factor in medalling. Chock/Bates and Weaver/Poje did not have that.

GGFan

Record Breaker
As I've said many times P/C are amazing, so congrats on their win. :bow:

I have to say that looking at the results it feels a lot like the 1990s in ice dance. It's very questionable given how closely matched several teams are that there was very little movement in the standings. It felt very preordained and made to look at certain way (e.g. one Russian and one American team on the podium) It left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited:

yuna13

On the Ice
P/C : 4TH World champions :clapper:. They are 23 and 24!
Great performance. The way they move in the ice is :love:
This is not my fav fd but I’m grateful that they don’t pick typical skating music like musical or movie soundtrack.

S/K: they are my fav russian team, they skated well.

H/D: they changed the ending, making it more dramatical , that’s remind me something…
They skated well, they are very good but i just can’t pass the music choice, it’s just not working for me. Skating to a music that has been used a 1000 times is not the right move.
Zach said that they had the best program (I know every skaters think and they say that) but when you spend your season making not small but big changes : What else do you need to see that the program is not working ?
Last year G/P made another fd when they saw that their program did not work.
I love H/D, I want them more than any other team to challenge P/C.

W/P: my personnal 4th, that program is so emotional, they skated beautifully. I hope they will continue.

G/P: The best fd of the field, the music, the choreo, the interpretation. Just breathtaking :points:

keasus

On the Ice
Agree that Gilles and Poirier's FD has been under-rewarded. I have to say that it showed in their performance today-not quite the emotion usually shown. Don't get discouraged Piper and Paul! I thought Chock and Bates got a lucky break with the call on their lifts They seemed awkward. Viktoria and Nikita are a team on the move-sharp and expressive! Kaitlin Hawayek looked disappointed and she should. She needs to up her technical abilities to get them in the upper 5. Kaitly Weaver and Andrew Poje are so stunning on the ice-especially in that FD. Wonder if they'll stick around or maybe just priming the Asian market for a professional career? I do agree with the medalist placement.

Why do you think Kaitlyn Hawayek looked disappointed in the kiss and cry? I haven't watched the free dances yet, but I know the results. I am curious what your impressions are, and what she specifically needs to improve.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Another wow, and I've already wowed other events at this WC. P/C are just amazing, and it all looks so easy with them. The whole point, as they actually incorporate very difficult moves. I quite agreed with the Dutch commentators: they manage to look as one, and still put forward their own individual personalities. I would have had H/D and S/K turned around in the standings, but both couples skated well, and they both made the podium. Glad that H/D made some changes (again) because this was actually the first time this season their FD gripped me. To me, it seemed as if S/B had less precision than some others, although I still think they're great skaters. A pity G/P were less than perfect tonight, I've seen them do that Starry night programme better in earlier competitions. It still is one of the great dances of all time. So much feeling put into it, even when executed slightly less than seen before. C/B did well again, although they were better at 4CC. W/P, what can I say? They were just great tonight. G/F had a mistake alas, although they still showed a lot of good things. H/B did well too, but really aren't yet at that top level. But they're steadily improving, so I'm not worried about their development. Great skating!

fenway3

On the Ice
I think it's interesting that H&D were beating S&K comfortably in PCS at the Grand Prix Final, but now all of a sudden the Russians are deemed "superior" in that area. What gives?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I haven't watched the free dance yet, Piper and Paul's Vincent is the most moving and best choreographed program this season. It's just beautiful. :points:
I echo Tracy Wilson's praise - this is their "signature piece"

I also like Weaver and Poje's program and tribute to Denis Ten. Lovely

Nocturne

On the Ice
I like Stepanova / Bukin much more as Katsalapovs..I was sad..:sad21:

Me too. I enjoyed S/B the most. C/B were awesome too. Great programs and really engaging.
Ice dance is my least favourite dicipline and has gotten really boring when so many programs are lyrical ballads.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Me too. I enjoyed S/B the most. C/B were awesome too. Great programs and really engaging.
Ice dance is my least favourite dicipline and has gotten really boring when so many programs are lyrical ballads.

Ha-ha, I agree with you! Thanks to the new system. All skaters are doing almost same things because the judges want to compare them to each other. The ice dance was my second favorite discipline ( after the men) I believe the golden age was the 80-90's. So many enjoyable dances, dancers..I could enjoy the performances of skaters from the end of the list..

slider11

Medalist
Why do you think Kaitlyn Hawayek looked disappointed in the kiss and cry? I haven't watched the free dances yet, but I know the results. I am curious what your impressions are, and what she specifically needs to improve.

So, first off, I am a BIG fan of Kaitlin and Jean-Luc. And I know they are relatively new to the elite top 10 of the sport. But I do think Kaitlin had a look of disappointment on her face in the KnC for good reason. Most top 10 teams made steady point improvement throughout the season and managed a solid FD score in the 120s. Also, in Worlds, most of the top 10 teams had level 4 twizzles and level 3 or 4 in their step work pattern. Kaitlin had a level 3 in her twizzle and a level 2 in the pattern. Now, I know that's picky but they have some good teams breathing down their neck and they have to keep the momentum going. Hawayek/Baker scored a FD 112.71 in the GPF, 115.45 (good!)in the 4CC but 113.16 in the Worlds. I know, different panels, but I would have liked to have seen the FD score continue to increase. I sense that Kaitlin is trying very hard to reach the quality of Jean-Luc's skating. He is older and has, perhaps, some innate talents from both figure skating parents. Lastly, if you look at Kaitlin's face in the KnC after the scores were announced you see what I'm talking about. So, be sad for an hour and then go work on those technical points and come out firing next season. I am rooting for you!

theharleyquinn

Medalist
So, first off, I am a BIG fan of Kaitlin and Jean-Luc. And I know they are relatively new to the elite top 10 of the sport. But I do think Kaitlin had a look of disappointment on her face in the KnC for good reason. Most top 10 teams made steady point improvement throughout the season and managed a solid FD score in the 120s. Also, in Worlds, most of the top 10 teams had level 4 twizzles and level 3 or 4 in their step work pattern. Kaitlin had a level 3 in her twizzle and a level 2 in the pattern. Now, I know that's picky but they have some good teams breathing down their neck and they have to keep the momentum going. Hawayek/Baker scored a FD 112.71 in the GPF, 115.45 (good!)in the 4CC but 113.16 in the Worlds. I know, different panels, but I would have liked to have seen the FD score continue to increase. I sense that Kaitlin is trying very hard to reach the quality of Jean-Luc's skating. He is older and has, perhaps, some innate talents from both figure skating parents. Lastly, if you look at Kaitlin's face in the KnC after the scores were announced you see what I'm talking about. So, be sad for an hour and then go work on those technical points and come out firing next season. I am rooting for you!

Agreed. The U.S. teams right below them may be primed to offer a real challenge next season so they really need to focus on developing if they want to maintain their status as U.S. #3.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker

It seems to me that the judges prefer (scoring) the lyrical ballad programs over something considered different or edgy. Hence S/B and G/P (especially in the FD) appear to stand out for me. Also F/G really project the joy in their disco program - if the Shib Sibs do come back to competition then I hope that they will bring similar energy to liven up the current styles of dances we are seeing.

Additionally, I was listening to Coomes and Buckland commentating on the BBC coverage, they said that G/P always try and come up with new and original elements whereas some of the other programs recycle the same kind of elements from year to year.

Bcash

Final Flight
It seems to me that the judges prefer (scoring) the lyrical ballad programs over something considered different or edgy. Hence S/B and G/P (especially in the FD) appear to stand out for me. Also F/G really project the joy in their disco program - if the Shib Sibs do come back to competition then I hope that they will bring similar energy to liven up the current styles of dances we are seeing.

Additionally, I was listening to Coomes and Buckland commentating on the BBC coverage, they said that G/P always try and come up with new and original elements whereas some of the other programs recycle the same kind of elements from year to year.

Er why isn’t G/P’s program the most lyrical ballad of all lyrical ballads? It’s supremely sentimental.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It's too bad Jean-Luc didn't pair up with Madison Chock back in 2011. I know he wasn't on the radar to be matched with her back then, but he deserves a better partner and Madison needed someone who can do sex appeal and darker material better (height differential would be better too).

I found all of the programs to be forgettable this year. Another "useless" season like 2014-2015 was.