2024 Four Continents Free Dance | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2024 Four Continents Free Dance

sworddance21

On the Ice
Some thoughts:

The American teams matchup was once again very interesting. Some redemption for Zingas/Kolesnik. The twizzles hurt Carreira/Ponomarenko, though I do think they've clearly stepped into the No. 2 American spot. And Green/Parsons need to do some soul searching, they'll have a lot riding on next season. I don't think their drop is irreparable, but their material is going to be even more key than usual.
I hope they go back to doing something really innovative like the Graham program. That really set them apart and played to their strengths.

I may also be biased - I find myself really feeling like all these programs are the same - just variations on the theme of schmaltzy dramatic music and overblown drama facial expressions. I'm m usually way more positive than that but I didn't find any of this particularly wonderful programming. (I'll have to rewatch Corpse Bride again with fresh eyes, because I couldn't get into it the first time but maybe I was just tired )

theblade

On the Ice
Some thoughts:

The American teams matchup was once again very interesting. Some redemption for Zingas/Kolesnik. The twizzles hurt Carreira/Ponomarenko, though I do think they've clearly stepped into the No. 2 American spot. And Green/Parsons need to do some soul searching, they'll have a lot riding on next season. I don't think their drop is irreparable, but their material is going to be even more key than usual.
The thing is, IMHO, is that ice dance rewards extrovert teams. If you are Car/Pom or Gre/Par (ie. generally nice people and competitive on the ice but chill off-ice), it's a problem. Often, ice dance rewards teams that "want it" according to extrovert energy.

So for introverts, they have to turn it on to 11 during the number.

Interestingly, Zing is more of an introvert, Kol is not. But as this season has progressed, Emilea has unleashed a star power that couldn't be predicted. And that is skating with Vadym, whose life is ice dance. She has "it," much like Theo Le Mercier has "it."

So this season, Car/Pom has broken through with a number that makes Christina look glamorous, emotive, elegant, refined, adult - a winner. Emilea brings high wattage, with material that is more conventional, less of a choreographic story (not her fault, she's selling the heck out of what she's been given). I like both skaters for different reasons. Car/Pom have two solid vehicles this season, Zing/Kol have a banger of a RD and a well-executed FD.

I really like the gorgeous, emotive music of Piper & Paul, and Christina & Anthony. Sonically, these are winning numbers - strong edits of great music. And the choreography is interesting and somewhat unique in both of them, too.

Winning numbers!

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I was watching the replay of the Men’s free and only joined the stream as Laurialt/Le Gac were taking the ice (and may I say—congrats to them, I do not believe the LaLas would have been able to place any higher here. Well done!)

Then we had a break for ice resurface, and I debated staying up through that to see the leaders. But I knew that Zingas/K would be first up, and I just don’t care for their Disney cartoon program. This tipped the balance for me! I went to bed.

And so to Zingas/K I say, please, please, choose something more adult next year :)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really enjoyed watching most of ID last night and thought Hannah and Ye made a statement early on. I hope they are senior medal contenders soon.

I noticed too many programs where the woman is dead, dying or murdered. Despite this, I immensely enjoyed Marie Jade and Romain's Corpse Bride. It was their best of the season and truly deserved 3rd in the free. I'm also a huge Danny Elfman fan so I love this program.

The top three were a bit underwhelming for me but I liked that Paul got a new blue blouse. Emelea and Vadim were really good here and I hope they get a more mature themed program than BATB next season, but without a dead or dying woman, lol.

danceblade

Spectator
Congratulations to all the ice dancers and coaches who worked hard this season to come up with a Rhythm Dance that fit the requirements, though it marked the end of traditional Ice Dance based on Ballroom Rhythms, and the beginning of what I call Hybrid Dance. The 80's theme and random Samba steps was a mess, but it was an opportunity for skaters new to the discipline to do well under the changed rules and not fair to those that have been trained all of their careers to get pattern key points.

Any ice dancer at the Senior level should be able to demonstrate a very high quality pattern of any International Dance, but for sure, some can't right now, because its not a priority for the ISU anymore. When they introduced 3 new International Patterns, I was super excited to see them, and loved Tea Time Foxtrot. The Maple Leaf March and Rhumba d'Amor dances (below) haven't been given seminars yet, and I hope that we will see them someday.

March created by Piper GILLES and Paul POIRIER (Coaches: Carol Lane and Juris Razgulajevs)
Foxtrot created by Natalia KALISZEK and Maksim SPODIREV (Coach: Sylwia Nowak-Trebacka)

We are happy to inform that the IDTC proposed to the Council also to resume work on the other new Pattern Dance Rhumba d’Amor, created by Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean in 1993 and presented for the first time at the European Championships in Helsinki in 1994.

Axel Rose

On the Ice
It's from the musical Passion, and you are very perceptive, as this song is intended to make you feel uncomfortable. Which would be why it would be fascinating if a team actually portrayed the story of the musical, instead of this sappy romantic version.
Thanks for this info - I read the synopsis of the musical and whooooa. And definitely not what was interpreted on the ice.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I was watching the replay of the Men’s free and only joined the stream as Laurialt/Le Gac were taking the ice (and may I say—congrats to them, I do not believe the LaLas would have been able to place any higher here. Well done!)
LaLa ? they made GPF and would probably have finished 3rd, perhaps 2nd.
LaLe : without the 6 points loss on a rule in the RD may have finished 3rd.
Then we had a break for ice resurface, and I debated staying up through that to see the leaders. But I knew that Zingas/K would be first up, and I just don’t care for their Disney cartoon program. This tipped the balance for me! I went to bed.

And so to Zingas/K I say, please, please, choose something more adult next year :)
agreed

rain

Record Breaker
no american nor canadian judges will be judging dance at worlds...

So if anything, it favours the Italians.
With ice dance being what it is, this honestly worries me a lot. My only hope is that a home crowd can help to even out the disadvantage. I wish it was all about the skating....

My other observation is that far too often, even after a year where results have been mixing it up at other competitions, worlds is a return to the status quo, no matter how anyone skates.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Congratulations to all the ice dancers and coaches who worked hard this season to come up with a Rhythm Dance that fit the requirements, though it marked the end of traditional Ice Dance based on Ballroom Rhythms, and the beginning of what I call Hybrid Dance. The 80's theme and random Samba steps was a mess, but it was an opportunity for skaters new to the discipline to do well under the changed rules and not fair to those that have been trained all of their careers to get pattern key points.

Any ice dancer at the Senior level should be able to demonstrate a very high quality pattern of any International Dance, but for sure, some can't right now, because its not a priority for the ISU anymore. When they introduced 3 new International Patterns, I was super excited to see them, and loved Tea Time Foxtrot. The Maple Leaf March and Rhumba d'Amor dances (below) haven't been given seminars yet, and I hope that we will see them someday.

March created by Piper GILLES and Paul POIRIER (Coaches: Carol Lane and Juris Razgulajevs)
Foxtrot created by Natalia KALISZEK and Maksim SPODIREV (Coach: Sylwia Nowak-Trebacka)

We are happy to inform that the IDTC proposed to the Council also to resume work on the other new Pattern Dance Rhumba d’Amor, created by Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean in 1993 and presented for the first time at the European Championships in Helsinki in 1994.
I hope it's just a phase :pray: Maybe in years to come we'll look back on this time like just another weird period in ice dance history, like the random-music-cut side-by-side skating of the 70s or the clothed-in-rags theatrics-on-ice 90s era.

I would love to see the other two new patterns someday too!

rain

Record Breaker
For some reasons I don't the judges really like Gilles and Porier. They won here for sure but Chock and Bates have nothing to worry nor do the Italians If anything Fear and Gibson might be P squared. However, what is interesting is that Canada has four strong dance teams of which they can only send three. I wonder if LaLe had not made any errors in the RD if they might have won bronze?
Except that Fear and Gibson have already beaten the Italians once this season, though the normal hierarchy did reassert itself at Europeans.

I think Lauriault/Le Gac would have won third if not for the call on the lift in the RD. Their scores aside from that element seem to support this. But of course we'll never know for sure. I'm just glad they had such a triumphant FD here, as it will likely be their season finale at a major championship.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Piper and Paul, their whole team for that 4CC title.
My subjective take I'm entitled to have (and others may argue with it to the end, I don't care at this point) is that like commentary said: "No matter what piece of music you get them, they'll act the part" and for me this is the only team with such ability now. This version of FD may be my favourite so far because it shows their work in eliminating kinks from transitions and work on speed/coverage I feel. It truly showed this time. I also kind of like shirt color change for Paul because God knows I hate too much of 'matchy-matchy' in costumes (but pink was great too!!), yet now because of the change I wonder if crepe paper cut in pinks/violets should stay or should I prepare new palette...decisions, decisions.
I think pink and purple will still work well with Paul's new grey shirt! Perhaps this is because I got into Piper/Paul because of some purple things; I was wearing a very purple jacket and pants at Skate Canada 2019 and Piper said something to me like, "Wow, that's purple!" as she was getting off the ice. 😄 Perhaps this is a bit of a selfish request (purple has always been my favorite color), but please keep the purple! 😆
I just hope Piper and Paul are satisfied and will truly hold nothing back in Montreal, regardless of calling, judging and results.
Yes! All we can do is hope for the best for them! 😁

slider11

Medalist
After a night's sleep and some thoughtful commentary on this site, I have come to the conclusion that Marie-Jade and Romain deserved to be higher than Caroline and Michael. M-J and R's performance was schtik but with some very technical and well performed elements and they had their heart and soul into this program. Caroline and Michael need music that they can embrace and can put out a stellar performance. I am a bit concerned about their levels dropping this season. Is it because they were trying so hard to make the music work that the technique suffered? I am a bit miffed that Careirra and Ponamorenko's twizzles were not sufficiently dinged when Christina put her foot down. M-J and R deserved bronze,imo. On a bright side, Piper and Paul were magnificent. That FD has progressed so well over the season.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I think pink and purple will still work well with Paul's new grey shirt! Perhaps this is because I got into Piper/Paul because of some purple things; I was wearing a very purple jacket and pants at Skate Canada 2019 and Piper said something to me like, "Wow, that's purple!" as she was getting off the ice. 😄 Perhaps this is a bit of a selfish request (purple has always been my favorite color), but please keep the purple! 😆

Yes! All we can do is hope for the best for them! 😁
I'll probably just replace few pieces of pink with more purple/violet ones and see how it goes :)
Maddie Schizas also did a change while blue crepe paper was already cut...well, the life is unpredictable :laugh:
Yes, at this point we can only hope fir the best. I really need to leave my Negative Nancy version of myself at home and not take her to Canada...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'll probably just replace few pieces of pink with more purple/violet ones and see how it goes :)
Maddie Schizas also did a change while blue crepe paper was already cut...well, the life is unpredictable :laugh:
Yes, at this point we can only hope fir the best. I really need to leave my Negative Nancy version of myself at home and not take her to Canada...
yeah... best to leave the Negative Nancy at your home... she may not be able to pass through immigration. Don't forget, Canada is the land of people who always apologize for things they haven't even done... ;)

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Some thoughts:

I saw on Facebook this morning that Green & Parsons have suffered chronic injuries this season (don't know if it's just one of them or both).

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
yeah... best to leave the Negative Nancy at your home... she may not be able to pass through immigration. Don't forget, Canada is the land of people who always apologize for things they haven't even done... ;)
Oh, I doubt Negative Nancy will even be present once Stressed Sandy takes her place :laugh:
I just need to switch the thinking to focus put on see Piper and Paul, those programs live and say thank you the best way I can (plus spread some more gratefulness to skaters if possible). I need to channel 2018 Internationaux de France energy, making the trip last minute because my heart told me that something needs to be done to say 'THANK YOU' for the Vincent program - I need to Chanel this confidence, drive and purpose. Then I'll worry how to get the crepe paper circus inside the arena.
:)

Chantilly

On the Ice
I don’t think that MJL/RLe program is “schtick” or “tricks”.
It’s clever and smart and unique choreography that suits their bold athletic style.
Personally I find them incredibly refreshing as a team.
Do I think they are podium skaters?
Not likely when everyone else skated well.
But I also think they are often over looked because they don’t fit that traditional ice dance mold.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I don’t think that MJL/RLe program is “schtick” or “tricks”.
It’s clever and smart and unique choreography that suits their bold athletic style.
Personally I find them incredibly refreshing as a team.
Do I think they are podium skaters?
Not likely when everyone else skated well.
But I also think they are often over looked because they don’t fit that traditional ice dance mold.

He particularly is such an actor and comedian who knows how to project it right up to the upper rows. I know the ice show circuit isn't what it was, but I hope whatever company is left snaps them up for tours. I wouldn't be surprised if part of their aim in competing is building up credentials for a planned show career.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
OMG. I thought they had peaked perhaps too soon this season... but no... this was so good !!!!!! Piper and Paul are truly in another class here at 4CC.
I agree but the judges didn't think so. GP scored pretty low in both portions.. CB at their best would beat the Canadians by over ten points. Really the top two teams here were phenomenal. And then you had three Americans and a Canadian team fighting it out for bronze. I don't know what to say about the US dance teams after Chock and Bates. CP seem to have no. 2 spot wrapped up though many find their skating ho hum. Anthony and Christina are not in the same league as his parents who won Gold, silver and bronze at three olympics along with world titles..