Trouble With Jump Landings | Golden Skate

Trouble With Jump Landings

carolm65

Spectator
I’m currently working on doubles, and my salchow, toe, loop, and flip are painfully close (I have a consistent axel). I just sit down on the landings. The jumps are fully rotated and I come down on the right toe, but I fall every time. My right knee keeps bending after I come down and I always end up on the ice. I’ve been told that I “reach for the ice” at times, because sometimes my arms will reach out behind me as I’m falling, which I think is more of a panic move than anything else. Even when I correct this action I still fall. To me, it feels like I’m coming down too hard and the landing happens so fast that I can’t stay upright, but there’s nothing particularly unusual about the jumps themselves. Practices are getting more and more frustrating because of this. Any tips?

Nimyue

On the Ice
Where are you looking when you jump? This tends to happen if you land looking at the ice rather than looking up.

ETA: What does your coach think?

At my rink our coaches team teach so if one can't figure out the problem they work together. Sometimes hearing the same things just said differently can help.

jf12

Final Flight
I’m currently working on doubles, and my salchow, toe, loop, and flip are painfully close (I have a consistent axel). I just sit down on the landings. The jumps are fully rotated and I come down on the right toe, but I fall every time. My right knee keeps bending after I come down and I always end up on the ice. I’ve been told that I “reach for the ice” at times, because sometimes my arms will reach out behind me as I’m falling, which I think is more of a panic move than anything else. Even when I correct this action I still fall. To me, it feels like I’m coming down too hard and the landing happens so fast that I can’t stay upright, but there’s nothing particularly unusual about the jumps themselves. Practices are getting more and more frustrating because of this. Any tips?

It’s hard to tell without seeing you, but I’ve seen a lot of people who have the same issue. Usually they stay ‘in’ for a long time which is good and necessary to get the full rotation especially when you’re just starting, but the check out is not quick and strong enough. You can just do checkouts off ice even with no jumps to train your reflexes. Good luck!