2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 89 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Sorry, but people here are more interested in local 3rd league of petanque than Super Bowl :biggrin:

Of course that is a hyperbole, but truly the impact of american football outside american bordes is minimal. Even in countries more close to US rugby is much more important, not to mention the other truly worldwide sports. To be honest of the holy trinity of the most popular US sports - american football, baseball and basketball - only the third one is significant internationally with fans, clubs and large field of players, the other two are done only by not numerous groups of fans (e.g. when I was a boy back in the 90s I was one of the only about 100 people who understood the rules of baseball in my country because we were playing it at summer camp :laugh:).

But on Superbowl Sunday NFL football is the biggest sport in the world! ;)

I bet you could have been a good baseball player. To play football American football that is you sometimes need to weigh more than 300 lb and have a very aggressive personality. Lol.

American football is run by people with enormous Egos and they will not cancel the season no matter what I guarantee it. Figure skating could cancel their season but I guarantee the NFL will never cancel their season. Humongous eagles run that sport from the commissioner to the owners.

At this point I think there's like a 30 to 40% chance there is some sort of a normal figure skating season.

Scott512

Record Breaker
You're right. It doesn't matter if American Football is a $Billion sport in the US. It is still pretty much a one nation's sport and it looks like meaningless cheated rugby to me.

I would rather watch the Finnish sport called Wife Carrying (aka Hag Carrying) which is much more exciting than American Rugby...erhm...Football.

I'm a sports fan and follow almost every Olympic sport. American Football is not an Olympic sport and there is a reason for that...;)

Sorry for the :eek:topic:

Hey your app is too sophisticated to use a word like hag right? In America you would be marked as sexist. ;)

But we're here to talk about figure skating enough about the game of football. I guess my point was we will have an NFL football season here in America no matter what I'll figure skating was Scurry away hiding this fall and winter that's my prediction.

About "soccer" in the United States. This is an abbreviation for the original name of the sport, "Association football." In the mid 1800s rugby players in England invented a new variation of the game and split off, forming the "Football Association." (According to Wikipedia, they met at the Freemason's Tavern to draw up the official rules.) The participants in Association Football (called "soccers" as opposed to "ruggers" were mostly school clubs. For whatever historical reason, American football patterned itself after rugby rather than Association Football.

Prior to television, America was quite isolated from the rest of the sports world and tended to go its own way. Association football fell by the wayside (however popular it became world-wide) and devolved into the category of a sports curiousity, like Lacrosse, say. But in the 1970s the U.S. Congress passed a law (Title IX) that mandated that every school and college had to provide equal opportunities for girls to participate in sports as boys. Schools had to scramble to expand women's programs. "Soccer" was a good choice, because it did not require much equipment, just a big open field for the girls to run back and forth on. Girls' soccer, including organized play for children, proliferated.

The consequence was that in the USA, "soccer" (like figure skating) came to be regarded as a "girl's sport." The USA women's team is highly competitive internationally, while the men can hardly make up a team suitable for international play. There is some attempt at a professional "soccer" league, but it is not very successful in terms of audience appeal, compared to American football, basketball, baseball, hockey, or even tennis and golf.

Last edited:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Hey your app is too sophisticated to use a word like hag right? In America you would be marked as sexist. ;)

But we're here to talk about figure skating enough about the game of football. I guess my point was we will have an NFL football season here in America no matter what I'll figure skating was Scurry away hiding this fall and winter that's my prediction.

You're right. Enough about American Football and Wife Carrying sports.;)

It is indeed a bit worrying that we still haven't heard anything about GP assignments. Are they even done? Is the ISU holding onto the assignments because they suspect there might be some cancellations and the startlist might need to be re-worked for the remaining events? Last year we got the assignments June 20th. We are already a couple of weeks overdue.:unsure:

BTW, the word hag is the only word I can find to translate this from the swedish name of the sport - Kärringkånka - which would be something like Hag Carrying/Struggling;) And fyi, the American 2019 champions of this sport is Olivia and Jerome Roehm from Delaware, I guess that Jerome is doing the carrying...

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

Last world football championship was viewed by 3.5 billion of people, that's like half of the population of the planet :biggrin:

I bet you could have been a good baseball player. To play football American football that is you sometimes need to weigh more than 300 lb and have a very aggressive personality. Lol.

I don't think so. The biggest thing about that sport that remained in me was when at the academy we were (apart from other things) training self-defence against a baseball bat :laugh:

American football is run by people with enormous Egos and they will not cancel the season no matter what I guarantee it. Figure skating could cancel their season but I guarantee the NFL will never cancel their season. Humongous eagles run that sport from the commissioner to the owners.

At this point I think there's like a 30 to 40% chance there is some sort of a normal figure skating season.

That's sad, of course. Unfortunately, where are the money, there this kind of people appears.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
The truth is there are a lot of money in Super bowl and American football but that's mainly because US is a big financial power and independently from other countries can support it. It's internal market is enough to distribute this amount of money from athlete contracts to TV, commercials etc. The truth is also that American football is not popular outside of US. No one actually watch it in Europe, Latin America, Asia etc. But there are some attempts lately to popularize it, that's true as well, but in very artificial way.

The king of (team) sports is football (normal one) and I see it to remain like this for the next decades.

I have to disagree with that. Although American football is not SUPER popular in my country, which is a very peripheral country, because here we’re all about soccer, American football is quite popular. It’s probably more popular than the other sports we have here (volleyball, basketball). My cousin even has a pay per view of American football, and he gathers around with his friends so they can watch it. It is certainly not as popular outside the US as it is inside, but we can’t say it is not popular. Everybody knows who Tom Brady is, everybody knows who performed at the Superbowl. Almost nobody in my country would be able to name at least 1 figure skater. I’m probably one of the very few people in my country that at least can name skaters. American football is way more popular than figure skating and than most of the sports, even if its worldwide appeal is not as huge as it is in the US.
Of course soccer still remains as the most popular sport in the world, but you’d be surprised about how popular American football is.

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
Of course that is a hyperbole, but truly the impact of american football outside american bordes is minimal. Even in countries more close to US rugby is much more important, not to mention the other truly worldwide sports. To be honest of the holy trinity of the most popular US sports - american football, baseball and basketball - only the third one is significant internationally

In Mexico, American football is very popular these days, no sport will ever take the number 1 place from football (sorry, i don't like to call it soccer :p) but american football, baseball and basketball are all popular.
They run a lot of ad campaigns about the Super Bowl when it's closer and I know a lot of people who watch at least that one game, even if they don't follow the rest of the season, but a few do. Maybe it's because of the half time show or just because of all the hype.
Rugby here is not very well known or popular.
Not sure about the rest of latin america.

ETA: My impresion is that AF is not popular in Canada either. Maybe it's popularity remains confined to US and a few other countries down south :scratch2:

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist

Yes - only if there's no Football World Cup Final on the same day (or Champions League Final, etc) :)

According to FIFA, last World Cup final in Russia between France and Croatia reached an average live audience of 517 million viewers, with more than 1.1 billion people tuning in over its 90 minutes. The 2019 Super Bowl pales in comparison, having had an average viewership of 98 million in the U.S. plus an estimated 50 to 65 million around the world.

As this article says, Super Bowl Can't Hold the Candle to the Biggest Game :biggrin:

Scott512

Record Breaker
You're right. Enough about American Football and Wife Carrying sports.;)

It is indeed a bit worrying that we still haven't heard anything about GP assignments. Are they even done? Is the ISU holding onto the assignments because they suspect there might be some cancellations and the startlist might need to be re-worked for the remaining events? Last year we got the assignments June 20th. We are already a couple of weeks overdue.:unsure:

BTW, the word hag is the only word I can find to translate this from the swedish name of the sport - Kärringkånka - which would be something like Hag Carrying/Struggling;) And fyi, the American 2019 champions of this sport is Olivia and Jerome Roehm from Delaware, I guess that Jerome is doing the carrying...
Jerome just maybe Man of the Year! ;)
Last world football championship was viewed by 3.5 billion of people, that's like half of the population of the planet :biggrin:

I don't think so. The biggest thing about that sport that remained in me was when at the academy we were (apart from other things) training self-defence against a baseball bat :laugh:

That's sad, of course. Unfortunately, where are the money, there this kind of people appears.

But that's the World Cup once every 4 years the Super Bowl is every February.

Yes and big money Sports the big money culture reign supreme unfortunately. I definitely say figure skating being canceled that's a real possibility but not NFL football. I hope I'm wrong about figure skating now and they have a normal season Euros in World Championships but I have my doubts because his pandemic is not just going to go away like H1N1 did 10 years ago.

Amei

Record Breaker

You are right it's sad that a business would explore every possible avenue to maintain their product, not only making money for themselves but for all their employees. How terrible of them!

Unlike the ISU the NFL has streaming services and lucrative TV agreements - they can very easily still turn a nice profit off if their season goes on with a limited capacity for their stadiums or no fans in the stadium at all. Plus, unlike the ISU the NFL is based in 1 country but there are restrictions for people if they are traveling from a state considered a "hot spot" right now.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
ETA: My impresion is that AF is not popular in Canada either. Maybe it's popularity remains confined to US and a few other countries down south :scratch2:
American Football is quite popular in Canada. Not as popular as our own league, but very popular.
The NFL is so lucrative because they've made football a cultural phenomenon. Superbowl sunday is a big deal and even if you dont watch it, you WILL hear about it.
Even so, the NFL isn't satisfied and is definitely trying to expand their markets. There's been talk of a UK NFL team, apparently, and, like you said, they've been trying to get into the Mexican market. And a lot of American Leagues have been trying to get the Chinese Market, because it's so big. I honestly won't be surprised if they pushed for Russia too lol. Sorry for off topic, but I find this so fascinating.
But figure skating probably doesn't get the same viewership worldwide as the superbowl does in one country.

macy

Record Breaker
i have a feeling we wont get program announcements until they decide about the Grand Prix. which is another month or so, right?

astronaut

Rinkside
Thank you for all the interesting posts. My all-time favourite among the Russian ladies is Maria Butyrskaya. To pick just one now, I would say Evgenia Medvedeva. Carry on and keep the faith.

macy

Record Breaker
Maria Sotskova has announced the end of her career. Quite a sad post by her, wish her all the best!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCYeMVypSM6/

oh wow. she has a way with words. that almost brought tears to my eyes. i can't imagine everything that led her to this decision, she seems utterly heartbroken after all she's been through. i hope she can heal and find happiness again, even if that means discovering a new way to love this sport. she has so much life ahead of her yet and i wish her the best.

maybe someday she will find that skating brings her joy again, and just skate for the love of it without the burden of being an elite athlete.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Maria Sotskova has announced the end of her career. Quite a sad post by her, wish her all the best!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCYeMVypSM6/

Sad to hear but, like Lunalovesskating said, not unexpected. It's been such a struggle for her since Pyeongchang. I know Maria wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I actually enjoyed her. I loved her look on the ice and though her programs weren't as exciting as some of her teammates, I always enjoyed watching her skate. I feel sad that she's not walking away from the sport on a happy or at least satisfied note. She may not have reached her full potential but she had a better career than most: top 10 finishes at worlds and the Olympics (8th), several GP medals, two trips to the Final and a silver medal, a very successful junior career, and 3 Senior B titles.

I wish Maria the best. Hopefully she'll be able to skate in shows. Her style is very lovely and would lend itself well to show skating.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Could anyone translate Maria's post? Good luck to her in her further career, whichever path she chooses. @kwanatic is right, while Maria may not be satisfied with how her competitive career turned out, she achieved more than many a skater. She should be proud.

Status
Not open for further replies.