2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Women - SP | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Women - SP

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
What did Ted tell her afterwards? “We gotta give them more credit” or something along those lines. If thats true, then it’s very nice of him I think. He continues to be the best commentator imo.

'you've got to come up in the rodent category, give them a little bit more credit' I think he tried to save it but it turned out awkward because well, it was awkward. She put him in a bad situation with her initial comment.

It surprises me because I think I've been reading or watching Debbie for ages (she used to commentary on Tv with Toller) and she's normally really nice. hmm..

I have no idea. It's a shame as otherwise it was quite nice.

I'm still going to take away from all this Gabby's awesome skating, and cross everything she can pull off the free too, considering she's sick. I hope she doesn't try the 4T though!

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
*Scans the Korean Nationals thread for comments imploring Korea's Olympic ladies to give up a spot to Japan*......

:sarcasm:

Feel free to look in the US Nationals threads for the women. :biggrin:

And c'mon you have to admit that's a bad idea... as if Korean skating fans needed any more ammunition to hate on Japan. :dbana:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I just read through this thread...What's up with all the Russia talk in a Canadian Nationals thread? I talk about US ladies in their own thread....Anyway, sad about the fall from Kaetlyn but she's not out of contention and her strength is usually the LP so, I think she'll be fine. All she has to do is make the team.

Kara

Final Flight
*Scans the Korean Nationals thread for comments imploring Korea's Olympic ladies to give up a spot to Japan*......

:sarcasm:

It's their home Olympics. What kind of mindset would a person have to try to take away their spots?🙄 They got their share of give up those spots when Yuna won 3 spots for Sochi.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just read through this thread...What's up with all the Russia talk in a Canadian Nationals thread? I talk about US ladies in their own thread....Anyway, sad about the fall from Kaetlyn but she's not out of contention and her strength is usually the LP so, I think she'll be fine. All she has to do is make the team.

Heehee, no no silly, her usual strength is actually the SP. I don’t believe she’s skated a clean long program in more than a year?

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
How about we all try a little exercise.

For two days, just today and tomorrow, we don't think about any country except Canada. These are Canadian Nationals. The event is in Vancouver, BC, Canada. The athletes are Canadian, though some may hold dual citizenship (it doesn't matter). The judges are Canadian. The scores only count for Canadian national records. The skaters who will be chosen for Worlds, Olympics, 4CC, and Junior Worlds will represent Canada.

Is that good? Can we do that?

Because honestly all the comparisons are doing is taking away from discussing Canadian skating. And this is one of the few times and places we can actually do that.

So please do me a favour and engage in this exercise.

Thank you.

I love this game. :devil:

Anyone who mentions another country in combination with shade throwing at Canada gets forty whacks with a curling boom and a shower in poutine cheese and gravy, tar and feather style.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Heehee, no no silly, her usual strength is actually the SP. I don’t believe she’s skated a clean long program in more than a year?

Well, I saw her live in 2012 and I liked her LP from 4CC in 2016. I don't love her LP this season but, I love HER! If she stays on her feet she'll be fine.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
You can also use your mouse wheel while pressing/holding down CTRL key.

Heehee, laptop; mouse scuttling in an European rink.

I posted that because usually I enlarge the screen by enlarging the whole page with CTRL and + but this time it was CTRL and -.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Tracy is fine. She didn't say anything outrageous? It is the woman who commentated with Ted, who called European ladies (or rather the Russians) little mice. Then Ted told her 'you've got to come up in the rodent category, give them a little bit more credit'. I'm sorry but that's not for any audience.

Who are the "little mice" supposed to be anyway? :confused: Hasn't she ever seen Polina, Maria, Anna, Liza...? I can think of more Russians with big powerful jumps than I can Canadians, where it's just Kaetlyn and Gabby. Why single out Europeans? We know why, but...what a creepy thing to say.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Just checked in on the results and YAY Gabby :hap10: but holy crap there's a 20 point gap between 2nd and 3rd and ALAINE'S IN 9TH?????????

(Also, any highlights I should go back and watch?)

rain

Record Breaker

This was really an anomaly for her. She has been foot perfect with this SP for most of 2 seasons. At least it happened here rather than at the Olympics. I think she's still the one to tap for the SP in the team event.

I hope she comes out and slays the LP.

The very interesting question is, who is that third spot going to go to? Alaine is buried — will they consider someone else?

waterblades

On the Ice
I really really wanted Kaetlyn to slay the short, but Gabby wow just wow! I can't believe she skated like that with pneumonia, when I had pneumonia I could barely get from the couch to the kitchen without dying.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My mom and her two sisters were Whatsapping each other earlier, and they’re all disgusted that Gabby is in the lead over Kaetlyn, even though she had an uncharacteristic short program splat. I come from a family of Newfies, see, and Newfies viciously support their own. So if Kaetlyn isn’t winning, it’s the end of the world. :laugh:

My oldest aunt is actually the head nun who performs the roles of a Catholic priest in the tiny town of Rushoon, Newfoundland, population: 312. It’s very close to Marystown, and believe it or not, they cancel all school programming and all the children gather in the gym to watch live if Kaetlyn is competing during a school day. She’s a total rockstar out there. :yes:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
My mom and her two sisters were Whatsapping each other earlier, and they’re all disgusted that Gabby is in the lead over Kaetlyn, even though she had an uncharacteristic short program splat. I come from a family of Newfies, see, and Newfies viciously support their own. So if Kaetlyn isn’t winning, it’s the end of the world. :laugh:

My oldest aunt is actually the head nun who performs the roles of a Catholic priest in the tiny town of Rushoon, Newfoundland, population: 312. It’s very close to Marystown, and believe it or not, they cancel all school programming and all the children gather in the gym to watch live if Kaetlyn is competing during a school day. She’s a total rockstar out there. :yes:

On behalf of O4G I thank you for your Newfie insights. :love:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

Newfies are loyal, man. I've never met one that wasn't still half footed on the rock no matter where they hung their hats.

charlotte14

Medalist
Well even if Gabby wins Nationals, I would say Skate Canada will still place Kaethlyn as their No.1 as her score potential is bigger. Good luck in the free.

rain

Record Breaker
Well even if Gabby wins Nationals, I would say Skate Canada will still place Kaethlyn as their No.1 as her score potential is bigger. Good luck in the free.

Kaetlyn's had a better season, as well, internationally. Hope she can light it up in the free.

The big drama's going to be for third...