2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3 | Page 112 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3

Icey

Record Breaker
The evaluation of the Grade of Execution (GOE) for each element has clear guidelines from the ISU and ranges from a "Base Mark" of Zero, to as high as +3 and as low as -3. If ever questioned by the referee (post an event of course) the judges must be able to support each mark they awarded.

Where can one find out how often the referees, this season, have questioned a judge in this way?

Bcash

Final Flight
Just noticed that Mirai's starting strokes were messed up a little because she got too close to the board. Kudos to her for remaining focused and still landing the 3A.

Again, do not understand why couldn't they build a 30x60 rink for The Olympics.

Feline Feeder

Rinkside
Next season she should skate as Ellen, the second American wife who scared that her husband would go back to the Vietnamese first wife.

It'll be something different, LOL! As it stands today, too many of them are portraying women who die, either by natural causes ( Nicole K. in Moulin Rouge, Anna Karenina, going back to Sale and Pelletier, even) evil governments (anyone doing Schindler's list or Life is Beautiful, for example) or suicide (Miss Saigon, Juliet) and part of the "artistry" is how miserable they look.

I consider artistry to be different than components scores. If one person does more transitions than another, he/she should certainly get a higher score on that, for example. I won't get into edges! That's somewhat objective.

But to say someone has no artistry because they don't interpret these sad, tragic, stories well--maybe they shouldn't be doing that theme in the first place. I miss Tonya as a dinosaur and Katerina as Robin Hood and Michelle as an angel. They brought joy to skating in a way you don't see much with the current famous people.

ETA: Well, OK, maybe not Tonya as a dinosaur! But you have to admit, it suited her!

pearly

Record Breaker
Again, do not understand why couldn't they build a 30x60 rink for The Olympics.

Is it smaller?

Oh and Feline Feeder, allow me to be the geek to correct you and say Anna Karenina goes in the suicide column, not natural causes. Someone will do it sooner or later.

amateur

Final Flight
Zagitova is the opposite of bland. She holds the viewer in rapt attention throughout. (Me, anyway).

Medvedeva's jumps are outstanding, except the double Axel. Wonderful technique.

Personally, I think that these two will be the 2018 Olympic gold and silver medalists despite our impassioned objections.

(But go Daleman! :yes: )

I will say that my non-skating-fan friend who was watching the ladies' team FS with me seemed vocally the most impressed with Zagitova, part-way through her program, and was surprised when I pointed out that she hadn't even jumped yet.

(I was trying to get him to appreciate Kostner, but he seemed not terribly interested - granted, it wasn't her best performance.
I'll have to rewatch, but I remember thinking that sometimes camera angles can make a difference in appreciating certain programs.)

nguyhm

On the Ice
why did Mirai almost get a deduction?

She was so nervous she was almost late in taking her pose at the beginning of the program. They could get a deduction if they don't start after a certain given amount of time after being called. She did not get a deduction, just almost.....

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Question to you: if ladies in the future can do
quads and 3A, do you think PCS should be a factor of 1.0 and not 0.8 anymore.

I have a question for the mathematically-minded. Does the factor really make a difference? If all of the PCS scores were multiplied by 1.0 instead of .8, wouldn't the results--ie, the order of placements--be exactly the same?

I have a question for the mathematically-minded. Does the factor really make a difference? If all of the PCS scores were multiplied by 1.0 instead of .8, wouldn't the results--ie, the order of placements--be exactly the same?

Yes and no.

Currently, TES affects the PCS. Get good at technical content, and for the most part (if the judges take a liking to you), you will get great PCS. So the rankings don't really change.

Suppose the dependency is eliminated, and suppose the technical content remains at doing a good 3-3, but the PCS mark is factored by 1.

Now the TES is far outweighed by the PCS mark. We once again have a situation as with Trixie Schuba being good at figures, but not at jumping. People would cram their programs with more places to show skating skills and more transitions, as the mark there is more meaningful.

With the current weighing, even removing the dependency, we can make sure that neither mark is outweighed by the other.

Putina

On the Ice

Not necessarily. Different weighting system can result in different placement with same exact scores.

Let's say we have a skater A and a skater B, and A earned 50 in TES and 30 PCS, and B earned 40 in TES and 40 in PCS in a segment. Without factoring:

Score for Skater A: 80 (50 + 30)
Score for Skater B: 80 (40 + 40)

So they are tied. But if PCS is factored by 0.8, then the skater A's PCS becomes 24 (30 x .8) and the skater B's 32 (40 x .8), thus:

Score for Skater A: 74 (50 + 24)
Score for Skater B: 72 (40 + 32)

With a factor of 0.8, the skater A emerges a clear winner over the skater B. Now, if we reverse the scenario and give PCS a factor of x1.2, then the skater A's PCS towards the total score will be 36 (30 x 1.2) and the skater B's 48 (40 x 1.2). The result:

Score for Skater A: 86 (50 + 36)
Score for Skater B: 88 (40 + 48)

Now we have a different winner. :)

Just noticed that Mirai's starting strokes were messed up a little because she got too close to the board. Kudos to her for remaining focused and still landing the 3A.

She mentioned this in interviews. That the little wobbles at the beginning caused doubts to start to creep in, but she recovered her iron resolve in time.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not necessarily. Different weighting system can result in different placement with same exact scores.

Let's say we have a skater A and a skater B, and A earned 50 in TES and 30 PCS, and B earned 40 in TES and 40 in PCS in a segment. Without factoring:

Score for Skater A: 80 (50 + 30)
Score for Skater B: 80 (40 + 40)

So they are tied. But if PCS is factored by 0.8, then the skater A's PCS becomes 24 (30 x .8) and the skater B's 32 (40 x .8), thus:

Score for Skater A: 74 (50 + 24)
Score for Skater B: 72 (40 + 32)

With a factor of 0.8, the skater A emerges a clear winner over the skater B. Now, if we reverse the scenario and give PCS a factor of x1.2, then the skater A's PCS towards the total score will be 36 (30 x 1.2) and the skater B's 48 (40 x 1.2). The result:

Score for Skater A: 86 (50 + 36)
Score for Skater B: 88 (40 + 48)

Now we have a different winner. :)

Thank you!

Putina

On the Ice
A couple of observation after catching up with the videos:

1. NBC just does not know how to film skating events. They completely fail to capture the skaters' speed across the ice.
2. The audience at the rink was very supportive and well-mannered, which is refreshing and relieving. Shame that the event had to take place in the morning hours to appease the U.S. audience. Thankfully the skaters seem to have adapted to the schedule and the performance was much better than the first day's.
3. Patric Chan's effortless glide on the ice is a thing of beauty. I hope he can land his Axels in the individual events and end his career on a high note.
4. I still see some skaters with unnaturally fit bodies. It will be interesting to see how/whether the doping test will bring any controversy after the event.
5. I kind of hope the rink was bigger to accomodate the speed required for big jumps.
6. Oh and Ms. Belbin is much more pleasant to listen to than Ms. Lipinski.

millie

Medalist
A couple of observation after catching up with the videos:

1. NBC just does not know how to film skating events. They completely fail to capture the skaters' speed across the ice.
2. The audience at the rink was very supportive and well-mannered, which is refreshing and relieving. Shame that the event had to take place in the morning hours to appease the U.S. audience. Thankfully the skaters seem to have adapted to the schedule and the performance was much better than the first day's.
3. Patric Chan's effortless glide on the ice is a thing of beauty. I hope he can land his Axels in the individual events and end his career on a high note.
4. I still see some skaters with unnaturally fit bodies. It will be interesting to see how/whether the doping test will bring any controversy after the event.
5. I kind of hope the rink was bigger to accomodate the speed required for big jumps.
6. Oh and Ms. Belbin is much more pleasant to listen to than Ms. Lipinski.

Point number 3.....Patrick is already going out on a high note. Did you forget he already won a gold medal..

Point number 4......She has a naturally fit body and don’t need no dope, so don’t worry about controversy. Canada nor she is not that stupid.

Point number 5.....I think that the ice is big enough for Kaetlyn’s jumps, hey....

readernick

Medalist
I think Eteri would cancel 3A class and offer 4S class straightaway.

Ladies skating in the next 4 years:

Russian quads vs American/Japanese triple axels.

She already does. Trusova attempts it in competition. None of her girls are attempting the 3A. But, unlike Rika’s axels, the quad has not been successful in competition yet. It has been quite underrotated in her attempts. It will be interesting to see what happens and how many of the girls survive puberty.