2014-2015 GPF Mens Short Program 12/12 | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GPF Mens Short Program 12/12

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This is exactly why I think falls should have a base value reduction instead of the -1. Or a base value reduction PLUS the -1. We lose base value for URs and wrong edges, they should lose base value for a fall. And it should be mandatory that a fallen jump/combo earns -3 GOE. None of this rubbish like Hanyu getting -2s. Gosh, I remember Chan getting -1 for a fall once!

Plus, the falls need to be reflected in the PCS, particularly since there's even a slot called "Performance/Execution". If you fall once, you shouldn't be able to get above, say, 8. If you fall twice, you can't get above 7. Five times and you should barely be scraping 5s.

leolion11

On the Ice
This is exactly why I think falls should have a base value reduction instead of the -1. Or a base value reduction PLUS the -1. We lose base value for URs and wrong edges, they should lose base value for a fall. And it should be mandatory that a fallen jump/combo earns -3 GOE. None of this rubbish like Hanyu getting -2s. Gosh, I remember Chan getting -1 for a fall once!

Plus, the falls need to be reflected in the PCS, particularly since there's even a slot called "Performance/Execution". If you fall once, you shouldn't be able to get above, say, 8. If you fall twice, you can't get above 7. Five times and you should barely be scraping 5s.

ITA there should definitely be a BV reduction + mandatory negative GOE for falls, but what if the falls aren't disruptive to the performance? If the fall doesn't really affect the performance much, I don't think it should be reflected in the PCS.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
ITA there should definitely be a BV reduction + mandatory negative GOE for falls, but what if the falls aren't disruptive to the performance? If the fall doesn't really affect the performance much, I don't think it should be reflected in the PCS.

I've never understood this argument. Unless you plan to fall, a fall is always disruptive to the performance. I doubt there are any programs that actively plan for the skater to be on his/her butt part of the time.

And not mandatory negative GOE, mandatory -3 GOE. Because mandatory negative GOE is what we have at the moment and that's when we get jokes like we just saw.

EDIT: I just wanted to add I thought the crowd's reaction to Voronov's score was excellent.

Last edited:

leolion11

On the Ice
I've never understood this argument. Unless you plan to fall, a fall is always disruptive to the performance. I doubt there are any programs that actively plan for the skater to be on his/her butt part of the time.

And not mandatory negative GOE, mandatory -3 GOE. Because mandatory negative GOE is what we have at the moment and that's when we get jokes like we just saw.

EDIT: I just wanted to add I thought the crowd's reaction to Voronov's score was excellent.

Um no, a fall can be non-disruptive if the skaters recovers fast enough to avoid interrupting the rest of the program. In that kind of situation, I don't think it's fair to over-penalise a skater by insisting that judges not only give mandatory -3 GOE + BV reduction + -1, but to also deduct points from the skater's PCS. I think that's way too harsh.

...and that's the key point, rules are the same for everyone under current system, and they skate to this system.

I think that when people say, "So-and-so's performance was over-scored," they are not really challenging the computer's ability to add up CoP points. The reason that Hanyu got 94 points is that he got 94 points. There is no "over-scoring" or "under-scoring" -- just "scoring."

I believe that when people say things like, "How did that sloppy program of this skater end up with more points than this excellent performance by the other guy?" they are not asking for an arithmetic lesson. Rather they are complaining about a scoring system that awards too many points for [ithis[/i] aspect of the performances and does not put enough weight on that.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I believe that when people say things like, "How did that sloppy program of this skater end up with more points than this excellent performance by the other guy?" they are not asking for an arithmetic lesson. Rather they are complaining about a scoring system that awards too many points for [ithis[/i] aspect of the performances and does not put enough weight on that.

But this fans opinion need to be taken with a bit of distance , because it is clear that many of us have diffrent favourites, we like diffrent things , so it's not like my opion, or your, or someone else on performance is the opinion that is right.

At the end of the day we can only discuss :biggrin:

salchowx4

On the Ice
In addition to discussion of how much value X should have, judging bias, bad judging, and corruption still exist in this system. Just because A+B+C equals D, doesn't mean people can't intelligently dispute the outcome.

Now, in this particular case, the result was reasonable. But one need only look at ice dance or junior men at this very final to see examples of highly questionable judging. A lecture on basic arithmetic is not always a good enough response.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
My opinion is that falls and mistakes should affect the scores more harshly. As it currently stands, the penalty for a fall is often minor and is actually better to attempt a failed jump than downgrade your rotation to ensure a clean landing.

There should be some risk/reward involved if you're going to attempt a quad, knowing you have an iffy chance of actually being able to land it properly. Quad with a good landing = high marks. Quad with a crash landing = poor marks.

Icey

Record Breaker
Has there been any discussion among the rule makers about penalizing falls more? Among the fans this has been going on for quite awhile, notably with regard to Chan.

chloepoco

Medalist
I've really enjoyed watching Machida's performances this year including the SP of the 2014 world championships.
That is one of the sensational and breathtaking performances that I've ever seen from men's figure skating.
After the moment, I've thought he could break Hanyu's world record if he meets a right moment with that kind of performance. :)

So let's say that some people more appreciate Hanyu's skating, but other people prefer Machida's.

Thank you, I feel the same way. I don't understand all this criticism that Machida gets, but to each his own.....

WYW

Rinkside
If you skate for yourself, for the sake of exercise, or to challenge yourself to learn a new skill, or for the fun of participating in a competitive sport, that's recreation. If you skate for the admiration of an audience (especially a paying one), that's entertainment. Should the scoring rules serve the needs of figure skating as a participatory sport (especially for children) or as spectator sport?

I think that both recreation and entertainment are equally important in the grand scheme of things. There are tens of thousands of skaters learning from thousands of coaches. A few of these skaters will become world class and compete at the elite level. These elite skaters will inspire the children, parents, family etc. to join the sport, and this will increase the amount of skaters and thus the coaches who have jobs. With more skaters, there is a greater pool of talent, and we see the elite level of skating increase-> then the cycle continues and the sport grows. I believe both the recreation and entertainment make up the skating "ecosystem".

More specifically about the point system; there is no reason that the system has be for one or the other. For the recreation side, the system works pretty well (as you can imagine trying to rank 30 skaters). For the elite/entertainment side of the sport, I still think the point system is an improvement. However, we still hear things like: Hanyu fell once and Voronov went clean, WTH is with the gap? When 1 fall occurs, people care less about the fact that Hanyu had: much better positions in spins, faster spins, many transitions, more difficult transitions, literally twice as fast in the step sequence, faster throughout with less crosscuts and the list goes on (everything that COP wants to award). Quite literally, every aspect of skating of Hanyu was miles ahead of Voronov that night with the exception of the fall, and it was only further contrasted by Voronov skating directly after him. Without jumps, Hanyu is in another league or (even two) compared to Voronov.

But are these people who emphasize the fall wrong? Hanyu (like Chan, Fernandez etc.) will always have the better spins, transitions, footwork, speed than everyone else. Should they always have such an advantage over other skaters? The answer will greatly vary depending on the person- it is impossible to make everyone happy. It is up to the ISU to fine-tune the system to maximize the agreement among the public and system/judges- a difficult endeavour, as you can imagine, considering the variety of opinions out there.