2014 Golden Spin of Zagreb | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2014 Golden Spin of Zagreb

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
Oh dear... Kiira's skating looked nervous and stiff, which is understandable. But her jumps were pretty bad.. the 2toe made Yulia's axel look huge! I also didn't like the dress or the music. And not even her hair.. it was too tight to her head.. made her look old.. :disapp: And I didn't see anything wow or anything developed in her skating style or presentation.. I guess i just had much bigger expectations. :drama: But of course, she'll only go up from here if she maintains her health.

Well, I disagree with you probably with every single statement :biggrin: Well, the jumps I agree. She said in some interview (can't remember what was it, I've tried to read those as many as possible) that she started to practise them in 24th September. So two months jump practising after a achilles surgery in April, I think this is a very good start.

But the other things! I could notice Kiira is a little but nervous but she didn't look stiff. And her dress... well, she has always been different in a good way and I like it. Little "rocky" feeling with a cool ponytail and black-gray dress - I think it fits very well to the program. And old? Not at all! She looks a gorgeus 26 years old young lady. I liked the music, it's good to have little bit different than usual soft music (Somewhere over the rainbow, Girl with a flaxen hair). I'm very excited to hear the Sibelius program and what kind of music cuts they have made. Sibelius is one of my favourite composers and since I'm a musician and a violinist this violin concerto is very dear to me. Well, never played that, it's too difficult for me. :rolleye:

But her skating! Her edges were so clean and smooth, the skating was so stylish and well done. She didn't have to rush but she didn't feel too slow either. I'm so thrilled she make quite good comeback.

But the pcs score is weird. She got from Performance/Execution from 5.75 to 8.00. 5.75!! What a joke. And from interpretation from 6.00 to 8.25. One judge gave much lower score than the others. There shouldn't be so much variance between judges, it makes the judgement very unreliable. Here's the link: http://www.croskate.hr/GS47/html/CSCRO2014_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

Last edited:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I agree that the event coverage has been poor. I really enjoyed watching the live stream and online updating from the other events this season. However, the Mens FS ended at about 5:25 p.m. ET in the US. I was reading some online pbp and that was when the men finished. To say that the Mens FS event had been over for hours at 5:25 p.m. ET is not accurate.

The Men's Free Skate has been over for hours now and the individual/s responsible for updating the online scoring left them with the final two groups still to skate. This event's online support from those responsible has been pathetic! I sincerely hope the ISU will remove Golden Spin of Zagreb as a Challenger Series event and move it to some other region on the globe that needs more support for the sport.

lmarie086

Medalist
According to Twitter, Hubbell/Donohue won with a total score of 166.74 (100.34 FD)! Guignard/Fabbri were second with 166.56, and Hurtado/Diaz finished third with 150.

Congratulations to all the medalists, but I do have to express my surprise at the scores again. Both of the H/D teams finished ahead of Guignard/Fabbri with a healthy point gap just two weeks ago. I realize major errors (by Guignard/Fabbri) contributed to that point gap, but that is still quite the jump in scoring - for all the teams, really, but it seems that Guignard/Fabbri benefited the most just judging from the scores.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am surprised that ISU did not set some rules and necessities (ie live stream) for the Challenger series. Especially considering the fact that ISU financially contributes to the Challenger series event organizer. As per ISU communication 1854, each organizer will get 20,000 CHF. With the events empty seats, one would think that that a world wide exposure via live stream would be beneficial in promoting the sport and keep the ever diminishing fan base. But than someone would have to think at the ISU HQ.
:bang::bang::bang:

20,000 CHF does not strike me as a cushy amount for a four-day event.

The Croatian fed paid for transport/rooms/meals for refs and the technical panels + rooms/meals for judges.

Other overhead costs -- esp. for the venue itself -- would add up pretty darn quickly, IMO.

True that the ISU could have made streaming a requirement for Challenger events, but then the requirement IMO should have been free live streaming -- which would have meant that SLC and Finlandia would not have met the Challenger criteria.

vexlak

Rinkside
As per Sylvia @Sylviaunseen

#GoldenSpin2014 Ladies medalists are @kiirakorpi_fi FIN (welcome back!), Maria Artemieva RUS & Nicole Rajicova SVK 159.55 (unofficial score)

Last edited:

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
OMG I'm so happy for Kiira!! After yesterday's skate, I didn't have a hope for a Kiira win here. Also happy for Artemieva and Rajicova to be on the podium.

robinhood

Rinkside
According to Twitter, Hubbell/Donohue won with a total score of 166.74 (100.34 FD)! Guignard/Fabbri were second with 166.56, and Hurtado/Diaz finished third with 150.

Congratulations to all the medalists, but I do have to express my surprise at the scores again. Both of the H/D teams finished ahead of Guignard/Fabbri with a healthy point gap just two weeks ago. I realize major errors (by Guignard/Fabbri) contributed to that point gap, but that is still quite the jump in scoring - for all the teams, really, but it seems that Guignard/Fabbri benefited the most just judging from the scores.

It's absurd the scores for the italian team...I mean, we don't have a video (yet) but that free dance is not worthy of a 100 and they as a team even without errors are not in those numbers yet. They are getting the same scores as GPF teams, while they are not in the same league to both H/D teams here IMHO.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
She said she was not so nervous today as yesterday and that she had skated the LP only three times as a whole before this competition.
That's shocking! :shocked: Well done, Kiira :dance:

gold12345

Medalist
Gosh, big scoring again today. Happy for Korpi, Artemieva, and Rajicova. (The online scoring still says that 3 groups of ladies remain :laugh:) 159 total score is 10 pts over Rajicova's personal best. Perhaps she skated quite a bit better than she has before, but also the scoring has seemed a little high in general. The free dance scores were huge. Guignard/Fabbri's previous personal best was 86, and here, over 100. Hubbell/Donohue also reached 100 for the first time. More PBs for Hurtado/Diaz, Nazarova/Nikitin, Kosigina/Moroshkin... Guignard/Fabbri's 52.54 TES has only been surpassed once this year on the GP by Papadakis/Cizeron (just barely- 52.61). It's slightly higher than Chock/Bates' most recent GP TES score, and quite a bit higher than Weaver/Poje's.

Korpi had only done 3 LP run-throughs before this event? Wow, good for her. I'm interested to see the protocols to see what she did here.

Last edited:

lmarie086

Medalist
I think a lot of the scores have been way too high (and that's hard to judge as well, without access to videos), but I believe another poster pointed out that it's been the trend for the season thus far and I have to agree. Again, it's hard to judge just based on scores, but for ice dance I have a really hard time believing a team - any team- could post a 14 point jump in the FD score in just two weeks. While Guignard/Fabbri are a decent team, it's hard for me to buy that they can match up with the teams headed to the GPF. Hurtado/Diaz's score increase is most believable to me, considering that I thought they were somewhat underscored at TEB. I also see Hubbell/Donohue's score increase as more believable than Guignard/Fabbri (though I would probably have expected to see them around 97 again). Sigh, to have access to videos...

On a happy note, congratulations to Kiira Korpi!! So happy she had a successful return to competition; she's had some truly rotten luck these last couple of years. Hope her transition back into competition continues to go well. :)

ETA: http://www.croskate.hr/GS47/html/CSCRO2014_IceDance_FD_Scores.pdf

Last edited:

flutzy13

On the Ice
So excited for Kayne & O'Shea, a 111 FS in their first competition since January after a serious injury is a huge achievement. With another month of training, they may be dark horses that could shake up the presumptive world team of D/F and S/K.

The dance judging seems shady all around. The Italians skyrocketing. Hubbell and Donohue going up nearly ten points in the FD and six points in the SD in the course of 2 weeks. I can't recall such giant jumps in ice dance ever. Wish there was video.

Alex D

Record Breaker
20,000 CHF does not strike me as a cushy amount for a four-day event.

The Croatian fed paid for transport/rooms/meals for refs and the technical panels + rooms/meals for judges.

Other overhead costs -- esp. for the venue itself -- would add up pretty darn quickly, IMO.

True that the ISU could have made streaming a requirement for Challenger events, but then the requirement IMO should have been free live streaming -- which would have meant that SLC and Finlandia would not have met the Challenger criteria.

As far I can tell, the ISU is more than happy that there are at still a few countries offering their service as most federations / clubs are not interesting anymore in hosting events.

If they would now make requirements like with streaming, then the few that host would become even less :(

Barb

Record Breaker
I don´t understand why so few people at this events?. I mean, I saw a recent picture in a local skating show in México and easily were more people than Golden Spin, Austria, etc. Why not give free tickets?

And happy for Kiira :clap: